• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 86
  • Total: 86
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Brenizer Method

Started by Hinfrance, October 17, 2016, 12:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

Ogga seems to have piqued the forum's interest in this technique, which I for one had not heard of until he mentioned it.

A few links: http://digital-photography-school.com/5-steps-to-rock-the-brenizer-method/ NB you will have to register to see this article, followed no doubt with being bombarded with junk mail, but you can unsubscribe . .

This one looks good, but I haven't read it all yet https://photographylife.com/advanced-photography-techniques-brenizer-method-panorama

And YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F50dXkIe25c - the first of two parts.

There are plenty of other links that appear from a search of the interwebs.

So, I went out and had a go. I have learned a things so far.

1) An f2.8 90mm lens doesn't really cut it, at least not until I get my head around this a little better.
2) Rather than shoot the whole series with my finger pressing the AF/AE lock button why not just switch to manual? And the white balance to a preset.
3) The free Image Composite Editor from M$ (Windows only, obv) is really fast and very good. But the output file size is relative to the size of the stitched files, so only stitch full sized files with it.

So as I don't have any really fast lenses it looks like I'll not be able to get any spectacular results without doing a bit more fiddling. Or just sticking to using software to get an out of focus back and foregrounds.

It would be interesting to hear from Ogga what equipment and software he used :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Alfonso_Frisk

Interesting videos and the results look great.
Wonder if it is worth a go with my 50mm f1.4 ?
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Simple

A longer lens gives better results. You do not need to have a huge aperture. The shallow dof acquired by using a long lens seems to give more satisfying results. I use my 90mm f2.8 Tamron quite effectively for this. Also try to get some perspective in the picture like converging lines. This adds greatly to the effect. Always go for far more pictures around the subject than you think is required. It is quite hard to get everything in in one pass. I normally use two or sometimes three passes around the subject.

Hinfrance

Have you got any other tips Simple? I tried with my Tamron 90mm and the results were rubbish. I did another with my other 'fast' lens, an f2.4 35mm and the outcome was a little better.

What software do you use to stitch your images together?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

Is anyone using Photoshop to merge the images as in one of the examples?

Simple

I use Kolor Autopano Giga. Version3.7.0 I have been told that PS CC has an improved panorama stitching system, but have not tried that. The focus stacking in CC, which is nearly the same as stitching, is a slight improvement from my old cs2system.

Hinfrance

I guess I can see how your stitching comes out well! I would only spend that much money or a piece of software for music, and only then for a complete DAW with several instruments and a suite of plugins  8)

I shall have another go at the weekend with a longer lens and see what I can achieve. The image I posted before was 40 frames.

Andy, the idea is the main image is sharp. The example I posted was so so. Still a work in progress for me ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Simple

I am in the Cotswolds at the moment, when I am back home I will try and post a couple of the ones I did a couple of years ago.

Hinfrance

I've just (ie over the past few hours) set Photoshop CC to merging the files comprising the sample image I posted earlier. It froze at less than 10% complete - using small (1200 longest side) jpgs. Bearing in mind that ICE did it a less than 5 minutes with the original RAW files, and did a better job than Lightroom did with the smaller resized jpgs in just over an hour.

Simple, look forward to seeing some of your examples. :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on October 18, 2016, 05:05:34 PM

Andy, the idea is the main image is sharp. The example I posted was so so. Still a work in progress for me ;)

Sorry Howard, I deleted my comment as it maybe implied the wrong impression.

I can and do appreciate the merit in creating very large images high in detail by stitching shots together; however, at initial first glance I remain uninspired, mainly perhaps because I don't have a large enough printer to really view any results should I want to have a go; and perhaps, because I am only viewing On-line at present with an ancient back up PC (as my usual machine is currently out of action  :knuppel2:) so far the examples I have looked at appear rather like soft focus images.

Off to google more images  :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Beaux Reflets

Taking a second look, I have come across a few example images inspiring me to look at the Brenizer Method in more depth; and who knows, perhaps I may experiment and have a bash at it, to see if my current gear and lenses are up to the job.

From a complete novice view point, my first questioning reaction ponders upon the choice of lens; in regard to minimising all the inherent peripheral distortions.

Will the best results be attained by photographing with the camera swung in 'portrait' fashion from a static point?

Will there be any advantage gained in cropping the images centrally square before stitching?  And having said this, I just remembered the 1:1 ratio option in the shoot setup menu  :doh:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

Obviously I'm no expert on this one Andy, but I did shoot the ones I tried in portrait mode, swinging from a static point, and I didn't do any cropping to allow ICE to have more features to match. That worked well enough. I then went through the various projection modes to find one that made the resulting composite look 'right' to me. Simple recommends using a longish lens, something I haven't tried yet, I did my tests with a 35mm f2.4 .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.