• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 29
  • Total: 29
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Remebrance Sunday 2011

Started by krennon, November 05, 2011, 10:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

This time next week we'll all be millwyonairs Rodders  :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

irv_b

That's a very evocative photo Alan thanks for showing it.
Howard I don't think anyone who didn't serve in the two wars could ever experience the emotions that your father and many many other went through.  I completed two tours of NI and I bet that didn't even come close to what they went through for all those years and the country still can't see them right!

I haven't heard from Keith about any arrangements yet but thanks Abers for your suggested spot and hopefully we'll see you for a swift one later in the day Del :beer:
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Oldboy

Quote from: irv_b on November 11, 2011, 06:27:04 PM
Howard I don't think anyone who didn't serve in the two wars could ever experience the emotions that your father and many many other went through.  I completed two tours of NI and I bet that didn't even come close to what they went through for all those years and the country still can't see them right!

I don't think Northern Ireland was a picknick either.  :o

irv_b

Quote from: Oldboy on November 11, 2011, 06:40:39 PM
Quote from: irv_b on November 11, 2011, 06:27:04 PM

I don't think Northern Ireland was a picknick either.  :o

Maybe not but I think it's a case of apples and oranges OB. The only thing which differentiates, I think is that you had more chance in getting through the conflict  (physically ) unscathed!
My Gallery

Hinfrance

Irv, you have my utmost and unreserved respect for your service.

All wars are ghastly things, it's just that some go on for longer than others.

Hope you get your pint with Del.

I found out after he died that my father had been 'blackballed' by his CO after being recommended for a DFC. My dad was a bit of a rebel if the truth be told, and the powers that be were not always on side, shall we say . .

My dad:

As an aside, my son-in-law is just being demobbed from the USAF after half a dozen or so tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. He says that mostly it was tedious and dusty. He lost friends too . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

picsfor

Alan, amazing pic - can never really get a handle on that sort of thing - and it's still going on.

Irv, if you've done 2 tours of NI, Mrs B has several respectful comments for you, as the 'wife of a solder serving out there in the 70's and 80's'

As for physical wounds, i think they are easier to manage than the psychological ones. Mrs B still won't return to NI, and has no intention of, and she wasn't even serving. Too many check points from all sides and wondering who if any were going to make it home. Too many close calls with her ex who was at several infamous incidents as Red Caps were.

As for me, i can always remember doing a weeks residential with a guy from Belfast in the early 90's up Stirling. We were going to fit 5 of us in a car to go to a local pub and he couldn't get in cos it would arouse suspicion. What was amusing was that apart from us 2, the other 3 were all members of the armed forces!

Mrs B has friends that she was based around various parts of the globe with, who have lost sons to Afghanistan. She is struggling to come to terms with getting news that a child she baby sat and watched grow up will never return.

I see nothing good about war, but the fact is, it is a necessary evil to stop global bullies.

If a waring Europe can finally resolves its problems and create a harmonious life side by side, there is hope for the rest of the world, and global peace like we have in Europe may one day be possible.

In the mean time, let us not forget those who made the ultimate sacrifice for that aim.
I  just wish our troops were allowed to go around in their uniform with pride for what they do...

krennon

SORRY!!! Been ill went to bed as soon as I got in from work on Thursday....and had an early night last night as well....so not been online

So my plans are get into Waterloo hopefully around 7:30-8:00ish will probably go with Alans suggestion (if I can work out where that is  :-[) for Horseguards...Irv let me know where you want to meet (maybe around the London Eye or something??)

Alan I'm at horseguards on whitehall where they normally are on the horses and all the tourists are making a fuss of the horses etc where do I go from there?

Then depending on the morning et al maybe a spot of lunch somewhere then if the weather is holding out on to Speakers Corner for some shots up there failing that maybe some shots of the swampcreatures at St Pauls (although I know they are supposed to be moving for Remembrance Sunday aren't they) then maybe a swift half in a pub somewhere before heading off home
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

ABERS

Quote from: krennon on November 12, 2011, 10:27:16 AM

Alan I'm at horseguards on whitehall where they normally are on the horses and all the tourists are making a fuss of the horses etc where do I go from there?

Go up to Trafalgar Sq. Admiralty Arch is at the beginning of the Mall go through the left hand side about 50 metres nd the back entrance to the Parade is on the left. Just follow all the old soldiers.

Good luck :tup:

Oldboy

As we prepare for Remembrance Sunday it's nice to know that the government and MOD are thinking of our wounded soldiers.  >:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15703997

Hinfrance

The seemingly endless cuts to the services bring to mind a phrase from Aliens:

"What are we supposed to use man, harsh language?"
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

irv_b

We had a great day out today!It was quite emotional being among the old soldiers and a quick review of the shots, shows a few that I'm glad to have taken. Thanks Keith for the idea.
Also it was real good to meet with Del afterwards for a interesting chinwag over a swift beer :tup:
My Gallery

Delamanda

It was an amazing day - I had no idea that it would be such a roller-coaster of emotion.  Nobody said anything about needing a box of hankies to get through the day!  Great to meet Keith and Irv in the pub - always nice to put a face to the names!

Oldboy

I was at the Rememberance service at Dartmouth Park West Bromwich and have posted some of the images below.

Click for bigger sizes.

krennon

Irv and I had a GREAT DAY out, horseguards parade where we got to hang about on the wrong side of the barrier before we were asked to move behind it by a copper which we did without any fuss (we had had a good run) then we went on to Hyde Park and Speakers Corner (Abers Diane said hello  ;)) then as Irv has already said on to the pub for a swift one to meet up with Del before heading home tired but happy...Here are just 3 of mine with minimum editing just to get them posted this morning before heading to work....
1/Checking the Cap Fits

2/A Kiss for an Old Soldier

3/Chelsea Pensioner Smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

ABERS

Sounds as though you had an enjoyable and emotional time. Hope you gave Dianne a kiss for me Keith! :-*

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.