• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 193
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 127
  • Total: 127
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

camera mags

Started by irv_b, August 14, 2009, 12:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damon

I`ve really gone to town this time. after reading this thread. i decided to take stock & have now cancelled my subs for DC mag, Photoplus & What dig camera.

Yep! it`s time for a change. Although i`ll probably still buy them from time to time. :D
Damon.

Oly Paul

Strangley enough I used to like Photography monthly when Willie Chueng who I have met ( who was also a good photographer) was editor.

I stopped buying it when Roger Payne took over as editor, I remember him from Photo Answers years ago when he was a spotty faced young magazine hack who knew nothing about  photography and could not take a decent pic to save his life, he fairly quickly moved on to a none photo mag.

Now his is editor of PM but his photography has not improved much but he is still good at telling you how to do it. I guess I'm getting jaded with photo mags and "photo" journalists in my old age. Plus they rehash everything year after year, if it were not for digital reveloution and all the constant new equipment, they would not have anything to fill up there pages with.  ;)
Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

chris@seary.com

For the average 'how to take photos' and 'how to do photoshop' stuff, Practical Photography has improved a great deal recently. Although they're all much the same, really. None of them take more than about fifteen minutes to read, once you're used to the seasonal stuff (how to take photographs of autumn leaves etc).

If it's photographs plain and simple that you want to look at/learn from, then the three that I get most out of are:
-PhotoIcon
-American Photo
-Black and White Photography

The first two are really good at keeping you up to date with the most exciting photographers, and you'll see a lot of stuff that's not in your average mag.

B+W photgraphy is also fairly good, but sometimes caters a bit too much to the Leica school of photography, shots that are just technical excercises ie. "here's a perfectly sharp, expertly developed, beautifully toned print of something of absolutely no artistic value whatsoever"

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.