• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 85
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 74
  • Total: 74
Wish
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

Bloody weather.

Been waiting to get out cycling for the last few days, and every time I step out of the door, the heavens open up.
Get back in, sit down with a cuppa and whadaya know? The bloody suns out inviting me to put some factor 50 on!
Try a quick dash annndddd.... Yep, it rains again!
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

ABERS

Beware Archant Publishing! Especially if you have agreed a price for your work.

Not long ago (courtesy of Andrew) I agreed a minimum and maximum price for an image that THEY wanted to use in one of their magazines.

Imagine my surprise when I received a request for an invoice for an amount that was 1/3 the lower amount originally agreed. After an exchange of emails pointing out the original agreement it has been agreed that I invoice them for the full lower amount.

So the moral of the story, make sure you have an agreed price, keeping copies of emails and stick to your guns.

It's not for a huge amount, but it's enough for that pie and a pint Andrew and pay this year's subs to the RPS. :tup:

jinky

They`re all the same Abers. Unless you  want the pride of seeing your shot feature for no personal financial reward it`s an argument. My last argument was with a PR company doing a newsletter for Timothy Taylor beer. I`d previously had shots used from a charity  Pie Festival I`d covered for a friend expecting little more than a few pints and free pie and peas. When contacted for magazine shots we agreed a daft low price and website url publishing alongside. Getting another request I asked for the same deal at a slightly increased price and they said no it`s a charity event. I pointed out that my effort for charity was to supply low res copies for the organisers website but Timothy Taylor and a PR company needs were a different matter. When I asked if they were putting the newsletter together for Timothy Taylor`s for free I was challenged about my attitude and the conversation ended with me refusing them any images at all.

Oldboy

Well done jinky. All these firms want your image for free but wouldn't give you their product for free or discounted.  :'(

ABERS

The biggest 'We want it for free' merchants are the local weekly give away rags that come thundering through the letter box and end up immediately in the blue recycle bin. I made the mistake of sending a picture to the local pay for paper, purely to illustrate a point of the wasting of public money. It was used and also appeared in the paper's sister freebie.

There the followed a request for any local pictures that may be of interest to them. When asked what their payment rates were, they replied we don't pay for local pictures. So if you are willing to underwrite publishers' overheads overheads' I'm sure they will give your images some visibility.

Reinardina

I never send pictures to the local paper, for that very reason.

Mind you, our local rag is unreadable anyway.
The only time we used to buy it, was when I regularly contributed to their 'In my view' column. Which, in my very immodest opinion, was the only grammatically correct bit in (almost) the entire edition.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

spikeyjen

we have a joke in our camera club as to who can get the most pictures in the local paper. Given that it is a weekly RAG, its just a bit of fun,

Reinardina

What's the winning number so far?

Hinfrance

Google.

For some reason (my bad) I hadn't saved the download link for the Nik stuff, so that putting my PC software back to 'normal' meant that I had to ask Google for a new link. On their contact form they ask for your email address. After three times of asking for a new link my patience was getting thin, toys were beginning to be thrown out of the pram. Then this afternoon, as I was adding a contact to Google+ I found, quite by chance, that they had replied almost instantly to my first new link request - just to my gmail account and not to the email address I had put on the contact form. So what, I ask, is the point of asking for a customer's email address and then ignoring it when replying? Grrrrrrrrrr.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Hinfrance

Now it's Canon's turn. I bought a new 'genuine canon' replacement black cartridge for my printer, from the supermarket. Three things. First it leaked ink all over my hand when I removed the orange seal. Secondly, the printer does not recognise the cartridge. Thirdly, it is not a new cartridge, but a recycled one - which may explain problems 1) and 2). I shall get a replacement when they are back in stock (as luck would have it they are now out of stock for who knows how long), and if that turns out to be a recycled cartridge too it will be the last 'genuine canon' one I ever buy.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

What annoyed me yesterday was the fact, that all the mail for the whole building (14 flats) was left in the central hall, which is, in the day time, open to the general public.
Several 'private and confidential' items among them.

donoreo

Here "private and confidential" on the envelope usually means it is selling something :)

Reinardina

Quote from: donoreo on August 28, 2014, 02:09:14 PM
Here "private and confidential" on the envelope usually means it is selling something :)

In my case, it was a private and confidential letter I would not have liked other people to read!

ABERS

Had a bad blow out today on the front tyre. Lost complete control and ended up in a ditch. The tyre was penetrated by a large nail whilst negotiating a sharp corner.

I'm perfectly OK just a little annoyed and  somewhat angry, the tyre was relatively new.

The wheelbarrow is undamaged as well!

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on August 28, 2014, 06:41:44 PM
Had a bad blow out today on the front tyre. Lost complete control and ended up in a ditch. The tyre was penetrated by a large nail whilst negotiating a sharp corner.

I'm perfectly OK just a little annoyed and  somewhat angry, the tyre was relatively new.

The wheelbarrow is undamaged as well!

Tyres are more easily replaced than husbands/fathers/grandfathers. You were lucky.
Any damage to the car? (Apart from the tyre obviously.)

What wheelbarrow? Or were you actually driving your wheelbarrow?

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.