• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 98
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 52
  • Total: 52
  • Baidu
bhphotovideo
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

picsfor

or it could be what happened to me yesterday mid fashion shoot.  :-\

Lug on focus screen broke allowing focusing screen to drop out and jam mirror. Sadly, as it was working itself into a breaking point, it clearly impacted which focus points were actually used as opposed to what points were selected.  :'(  £30 later i'm good to go again, with a spare at the ready in case - but lost pictures can never be recovered...

I feel for you, really

spinner

Geeks on Tech sites. >:( English is my mother tongue. I took Report writing courses at University. I spent over 35 yrs. writing reports amoung other things, for my local gov't. I like to think I'm reasonably articulate. However I seem to run into this issue on an all too regular basis. I go to a tech site, I ask a question about, say, apples. I then get several replies on how to fix oranges. I explain I'm asking about apples, but the Geeks keep answering oranges. It might be funny if it wasn't so infuriating.  And time wasting and in cases like today, just out and out wrong!
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Oldboy

Has the world gone mad?

A man who once weighed 70 stone is suing the NHS for not stopping him from eating his way into the record books as the world's fattest human being.
Taxpayers currently spend around £100,000 per year caring for Paul Mason. But he feels that is not enough and he deserves compensation for the health service not preventing him from putting on the weight.
  :uglystupid2:

ABERS

Not annoyed but a trifle sad. Especially for the two hotel owners who acting on their own firmly held beliefs are ordered to pay £3,600 damages after being cunningly set up to test those beliefs. I think it admirable that they didn't crumble under the threats that they were subjected to.

Mean and vindictive. If I was ever to book into a hotel that had restrictions that I didn't agree with, I would make my feelings known and tell 'em to stuff it, not pursue them through the courts, even if I did have the help of a taxpayer funded organisation to pay my costs. There are plenty of other hotels in the world for me to book into. >:( >:( >:(

Jonathan

Quote from: ABERS on January 19, 2011, 10:58:39 AM
Not annoyed but a trifle sad. Especially for the two hotel owners who acting on their own firmly held beliefs are ordered to pay £3,600 damages after being cunningly set up to test those beliefs. I think it admirable that they didn't crumble under the threats that they were subjected to.

Mean and vindictive. If I was ever to book into a hotel that had restrictions that I didn't agree with, I would make my feelings known and tell 'em to stuff it, not pursue them through the courts, even if I did have the help of a taxpayer funded organisation to pay my costs. There are plenty of other hotels in the world for me to book into. >:( >:( >:(

Quote"You can't turn away people from a hotel because they're black or Jewish and in 2011 you shouldn't be able to demean them by turning them away because they're gay either," Stonewall chief executive Ben Summerskill said.

If you're running a business you don't get to choose which laws you agree with and which you can break with impunity.  You don't like it then either lobby for change, accept it or get out of that business.  (There's an interesting parallel with the Catholic Adoption Society case - they are indeed getting out of the business because the law says they can't be bigoted in that way).

BTW, read the BBC report and didn't see any hint of a set up - where's the information on that?
It's Guest's round

ABERS

No one was turned away, they were offered separate rooms since the hotel operated a system of refusing unmarried couples, of whatever sexual persuasion a shared double bed. I wonder how many unmarried heterosexual pairs will sue now.

At the time of the alledged offence a civil partnership was not recognised as having the same force in law as a marriage, so they were not breaking the law with impunity. That has now been changed by the the precedent the judge has set in his summing up of this case.

To me it seems strangely suspicious that of all the hotels in the area this one was chosen by the couple in question. The coincidence stretches the imagination somewhat. ::)

Jonathan

Ah cool - as often, there's more to this than gets reported.

I can understand the argument that they could have gone elsewhere for an easier life. We tend to forget it was Rosa Parks who was breaking the law not the bus driver.
It's Guest's round

jinky

Don`t see them quite as Rosa Parks somehow but must admit if I was part of a perceived minority that was aware of a business or organisation breaking the law and affecting my access to services I would be tempted to test it out and take action accordingly. That`s how you get people to accept change sometime. I suppose the B&B people were at least true to their beliefs and did not just say "no room at the inn" but then I had heard elsewhere that it was a set up and the gay couple had established there was an available double room anyway by seemingly booking it as single use and turning up with partner.

spinner

Quote from: Oldboy on January 19, 2011, 10:34:45 AM
Has the world gone mad?

A man who once weighed 70 stone is suing the NHS for not stopping him from eating his way into the record books as the world's fattest human being.
Taxpayers currently spend around £100,000 per year caring for Paul Mason. But he feels that is not enough and he deserves compensation for the health service not preventing him from putting on the weight.
  :uglystupid2:

I say, pay him compensation! On the condition he allow them to sow his mouth shut.
Ol' blue eyes

anglefire

I want to know why we are looking after him, apart from his standard benefits - if he can't work.
If he can't afford to eat, then he doesn't. Tough.

If he dies. Tough.

Sorry, but people seem to think they have a right to live, what ever the cost. Half the problem with the world, is that people aren't being killed off by illness.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

ABERS

Quote from: anglefire on January 19, 2011, 07:04:46 PM
Half the problem with the world, is that people aren't being killed off by illness.

And the other half live in the third world. :uglystupid2:

anglefire

Abers, I was being selfish and thinking of the so called industrial nations. Ie. the likes of Europe and US.

But the growth in world population needs to be addressed. That or ship a load off to a different planet to cock that one up too.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

krennon

Logans Run anybody  ;)

Yep agree though, half the world live in abject poverty where child mortality rates are frightening while the other half live in comparitive wealth and moan about the fact they're eating themselves to death but it's someone elses fault...the blame culture is all to rife and needs to be addressed in this country and others....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

picsfor

Quote from: krennon on January 20, 2011, 08:56:04 AM
Logans Run anybody  ;)
the blame culture is all to rife and needs to be addressed in this country and others....

Well it's not my fault!

Cream cake any one?

spinner

Quote from: picsfor on January 20, 2011, 09:49:07 AM
Quote from: krennon on January 20, 2011, 08:56:04 AM
Logans Run anybody  ;)
the blame culture is all to rife and needs to be addressed in this country and others....

Well it's not my fault!

Cream cake any one?

Is too!!

At the risk of offending someone/everyone? I blame, Americans/Globalization/The internet.  :legit: I have a really long theory that i won't bother posting here. Short version, on this side of the pond  Litigation like this obese person's didn't exist in Canadian legal circles 30 yrs. ago but are popping up more and more. The legal people say it's because we've watched it going on in the U.S. for years.
Ol' blue eyes

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.