• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 31
  • Total: 31
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Beginner Portraits

Started by magicrhodes, November 23, 2009, 09:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

I took some portraits of a 14 year old last year, and she was really pleased. Mind you she wasn't all at camera shy and was used to being watched as she belonged to a dance group.

We haven't set a date yet, but I'll certainly let you know how we get on :)
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

irv_b

I suggest to try and get some practice in first, either on you own kids/family, friends or even something from around the house about head and torso size (a couple of hi-fi speakers and a football or ornament). Try with something that gives you some shadows in the facial area.
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Oly Paul

Quote from: magicrhodes on November 28, 2009, 06:24:03 PM
Have scoped the room and it will only really allow a 35mm lens possibly upto 50mm for 1 or 2 pics because it is really small.... will this have any effect on the outcome?

Possibly less flattering than you would like, especially for head and shoulder shots.

The room has a door so if possible shoot from the adjoining room/hallway to give you more room (I've done this more than once), the light which should ideally be of camera (as anglefire suggested) can still be in the same room as the sitter.

Ideally a small white tranclucent shoot through brolly gives good result but if not bounce flash will have to do.

Equipment matters little as its suprising what you can do on a budget, years ago I used to travel round peoples house doing portraits with one flash light and shoot through brolly, home made reflector and a black and a white sheet and boy was I working in cramped spaces. :)

Just to show you what I mean these were taken of a 14 year old that had not been in front of the camera before using the said equipment .

Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

bones615

Found some beginers lighting tips here
http://www.prophotolife.com/2008/06/02/video-episode-13-beautiful-portraits-with-just-one-light/
Might be useful, lots more on the site too although i have not looked much further myself yet.

Simon

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.