• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 47
  • Total: 47
  • Google
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Testing my new softbox

Started by Cathus, May 19, 2012, 01:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cathus

I bought a Rocwing 1.5m umbrella softbox last week and tested it out for the first time tonight.

Unfortunately, my daughter wasn't really in the mood for modelling so posed but only under protest and only for 10 minutes.

3. And one she took of Dad

donoreo

It casts a nice light.  She does not look too interested. 

Hinfrance

It is a good catchlight as well as good and even overall. I'd call that a success.

My daughter won't pose at all, so I reckon 10 minutes of grumpy cooperation is a result too.  :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

I'm no expert on technical things, so I won't comment on the light as such.  I do like the shots though. Especially the first one, with that determined little mouth! (Slightly) moody teenager.

I haven't been allowed to photograph my daughter for over a decade now, with the exception of her graduation. She'll graduate again next year, so I'm hoping I'll be allowed to have a go again then. Fingers crossed.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Cathus

thank you.

She has been a good model for me over the year and she is a photographer too. When she was 8 I gave her a Fuji bridge camera then after a year with that I got her a canon 300D, now she has a Canon 20D. So she does appreciate the need for a good subject. However, at 13 and with a mood to go with it, she rally does have to be in the right frame of mind, which she wasn't last night.

I'm liking the initial test with the softbox, nice even softish light. But it is very big and heavy.

It will be nice to experiment with it with maybe rim lighting and background lighting too. But I'll have to wait until she's in a really good mood for that.

Reinardina

(Small) bribes? Or would that be the thin end of the wedge/slippery slope etc?

Anyway, you are lucky she does pose for you; I can't even take a sneaky snapshot.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Cathus

LOL, yeah, I already had to pull the "I took you out for a Burger King for tea tonight and this is the thanks I get" routine!

bones615

Could be worse, I have 2 teenage boys so no models in our house! Looks like it gives a nice even light, what size flash is behind it? Like the pics even with the teenage mood face.

Simon

Cathus

lighting was a single Elinchrom BXRi 500

Graham

Quote from: Cathus on May 19, 2012, 01:37:30 PM
"I took you out for a Burger King for tea tonight and this is the thanks I get"

You sure know how to treat a lady!  :2funny:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Beaux Reflets

Nice clarity  :tup: although I find the catch lights "stare" somewhat in my opinion, and would probably look even more off putting if the portraits were smiling  :-\
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

irv_b

I do like the lovely soft lighting but those catchlights seem to be too dominant for my liking. Certainly worth playing around with additional lights though.
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Cathus

the catchlights are the penalty for the nice lighting, if they were further away and thus smaller catchlights, the quality of light wold be different.

Haven't played around with editing the catchlights, as said, this was just a very quick first test of the softbox.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.