• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 103
  • Total: 103
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Old Slides

Started by skellum, August 24, 2011, 01:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skellum

Went to the local auction today and came away with about 200 slides from 1940 onwards. They cover London, Blackpool, Lakes, Scotland, Devon & Cornwall, Eastbourne and that is only box 1 of 3

Even found various pictures of Churchill, see below. If anyone is interested I will post more here as I go through them.

greypoint

Interesting - keep uploading! I don't know about others, but when looking at old photos all the stuff people seem interested in being critical about in new pictures seems so unimportant.
It's looking at that brief moment in time captured forever - who cares if the lens was a 'little soft wide open'  ::)

skellum

Quote from: greypoint on August 25, 2011, 07:55:12 AM
Interesting - keep uploading! I don't know about others, but when looking at old photos all the stuff people seem interested in being critical about in new pictures seems so unimportant.
It's looking at that brief moment in time captured forever - who cares if the lens was a 'little soft wide open'  ::)

Thanks, I was beginning to think no one was interested.  A lot of my work in the shop involves repairing old photographs infact it was looking at old photographs that got me into photography in the first place.  Lots to get through in the boxes yet but I will upload some today. I do work for a interior design company who refurb Hotels & Pubs and they always ask me for old & new pictures of the area they happen to be working in so now hopefully I will be able to supply some old ones as well .

greypoint

Old pictures always fascinate me. In part I've always been interested in the way clothing/fashion has evolved [strange for someone who has never had the slightest interest in current fashions!] and old photos often show what ordinary people wore as well as giving an insight into vanished ways of life.

Oldboy

Great photos.  :tup:

I think Churchill wants that chap to go away!  :-[

skellum

I also enjoy the social history seen in old photographs some of these slides show days out at the seaside, local beauty competitions & a picture of a London Airport Terminal with hardly anyone in it.

skellum

Quote from: Oldboy on August 25, 2011, 09:35:08 AM

No it is obviously his V for victory sign. But then again looking at the man on the outside your probably right. ;)

Beryl

A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Dave on August 25, 2011, 09:41:56 AM
Quote from: Oldboy on August 25, 2011, 09:35:08 AM

No it is obviously his V for victory sign. But then again looking at the man on the outside your probably right. ;)

I always thought the V sign he made was just accidental; when the cigar got stuck to his lips.  :2funny:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Beaux Reflets

Interesting shots Dave, I wonder who took them?
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

krennon

I Wonder of Blenheim would be interested in those old shots of Churchill (or at least some copies of) as you say social history is a fascinating thing...Nice find and thanks for sharing  :tup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

skellum

Well here are a few more general slide pictures from the 1950s.

1.  London Airport Terminal ( Don't think many called it Heathrow then )
2.  Eastbourne Prom  ( not much change here then )
3.  Blackpool Beauty Queens ( still get a few queens in Blackpool but a different type )
4.  Piccadilly ( The photographer seems to have concentrated more on the lights were as I would of liked to see more at ground level )

Krennon,  All the Churchill pictures have Imperial War Museum Copyright on them and I am sure Blenheim have a copy or two.

greypoint

Not many people flying that day then :)

skellum

A few more

1.  Bit of a rush on at the terminal.
2.  A Dirty St Pauls.
3.  Piccadilly again.
4.  Parliament Square with Big Ben and the Commons listing badly.

Oldboy

Another cracking series of photos. Heathrow with B.O.A.C. All those beauty queens are grannies now. Had a good look at the Eastbourne photo but can't see a knotted hankie anywhere? Big Ben photo showing which way the country was going with the keep left signs.  :2funny:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.