• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 54
  • Total: 54
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

In your Camera Bag.

Started by Geoff I, January 10, 2012, 11:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff I

When I started doing Macro photography I used Kenko extension tubes, I got some good results but then I invested in a 50mm macro lens, and found I never used the Kenko Extension Tubes, I have tried the extension tubes with the macro lens and found it does not give me any more than what I need with the macro lens I have at the moment, so I am in a quandary whether to let the extension tubes go or not.

I get to a situation that if I do not use something then I will sell it and find out further down the line what did I sell that for lol.

I also have P type filters that I never get out of my bag, I am always having different ideas about photography I buy the product but do not use it as I should, I reckon I am not on my own with this, just look in your camera bag and see if there is any lenses in your bag you barely use or have not used for over 12 months, I have 3 lenses in my bag and doubt if I will need any more than that I may change for a better lens.

So what have you got in your camera bag that is hardly used?

Alfonso_Frisk

In my "storage" bag I have a Nikon  SB400 flashgun and a Nissin Di 622 flashgun which I reckon have been used perhaps half a dozen times each. Had both around 2 or 3 years. There is also a Tokina 10-17 fisheye lens which was used a couple of weeks ago but not for about 2 years previous to that. I think that would have been fired around 200-300 times max.
Oh and some 52mm close up filters used once.
Think I may have a little sale of some stuff after reading this back.
RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

spinner

I'm embarrassed to say.  :-[ I'm a hoarder. I've still got the flash from my old Pentax Thread mount camera. I don't even know if it still works. Might even have the batteries from the 70's in it.  :'(
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Sarasocke

I find I'm incapable of getting rid of stuff too.
I bought a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 for my D80, used it about twice, then bought the D700 which had a Tamron 28-75 2.8 included in the deal. The Sigma is FX anyway ...
About a year later I bought the Nikon 24-70 2.8, which along with my 70-300 is my workhorse. When I got the D700 I was going to sell the D80, the Tamron was supposed to replace the Sigma and the Nikon lense made both redundant.
I've got the close-up filters too kicking around somewhere, never used them since getting the Tamron 90mm macro.
I decided I needed a compact and got a nifty Lumix, then decided I "needed" a small system camera and got the Lumix G3. I was supposed to sell the nifty compact but I can't bring myself to do it.

The only thing I have sold is a set of Cokin filters, and I really wish I hadn't now ... Go figure  :legit:
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

greypoint

If it's worth selling I sell it so the only things I have other than camera body and three lenses are pretty worthless  ::) In my storage bag I do have a couple of lens hoods which I obviously forgot to sell with a couple of bridge cameras, assorted cables that do goodness knows what, two lens caps that say Canon usm [!!], some really low capacity CF cards from the days when 124mb was considered large and a polariser which I'm notg sure fits any of my current lenses. And a load of paperwork which I must sort out one day!

Oldboy

Quote from: greypoint on January 10, 2012, 04:40:42 PM
If it's worth selling I sell it so the only things I have other than camera body and three lenses are pretty worthless  ::) In my storage bag I do have a couple of lens hoods which I obviously forgot to sell with a couple of bridge cameras, assorted cables that do goodness knows what, two lens caps that say Canon usm [!!], some really low capacity CF cards from the days when 124mb was considered large and a polariser which I'm notg sure fits any of my current lenses. And a load of paperwork which I must sort out one day!

I've got two 32mb CF cards which cost more than a 8gb card now.  :doh:

Your 124mb card should be a 128mb card!  :P

greypoint

yes - a slip of the finger  :D    I've actually got a 16mb - should be good for one picture  :dance: :dance: :dance:

ABERS

When I returned to photography, some 4 years ago now, I was determined not to repeat past errors from the old film days, where I accumulated gadgets, gizmos and accessories almost on a weekly basis. All used no more than a couple of times and then forgotten, and I have stuck to it.

It would seem that reading various posts that today's collectable clutter comprises mostly software rather than things to tack onto cameras!

Markulous

In my extended camera bag (or bags - have a few!!):

Never use:
M42 50mm (was assured that "everyone finds a 50mm useful" and I never have done - but it cost me only a couple of squids!)
Canon Mk II 1.4x TC (find Kenko pro300 1.4x TC of equal quality and fits more lenses - really should sell the Canon!  ::))

Rarely now use:
Canon 20D
Canon 30D

Don't use very often but would like to use more (opportunity, opportunity, opportunity!):
Canon MP-E 65mm macro + tripod rail + Sigma EM-140 DG
Sigma SD10 with dustscreen removed for IR+visible with M42 16mm fisheye or 18-55mm, occasionally with R72 attached

Use every now and then - when I need it, I need it:
Canon 300mm f/4 IS
Canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Sigma SD14 usually with 105mm macro, sometimes 17-35mm f2.8-4 EX
Benbo Mini-Trekker tripod

I do occasionally use my set of tubes (usually on my 105mm macro)
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Hinfrance

I'm a hopeless hoarder too. I still have my first ever camera.

So the list would be too long and boring to rehearse here.

Things I use regularly:
Pentax DSLRS, K10D, K20D, K5
Elemental studio flash (along with other various flashguns collected over the years)
Metz 58AF-1 flashgun
Poverty wizard triggers
Tripod

Two things I hardly ever use, but do sometimes are my 50mm f1.4 and Sigma 10-20.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

michaelb104

I'm feeling a bit left out here, the only thing I've got collecting dust is a star filter that I was given as an xmas present a few years ago  :(
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

picsfor

I'll come back to you on this front - as i'm now having a cull of not so used equipment.

I have a complete set of studio lights that will never see the light of day with me. Been used twice!
Have a Canon 5D2 that has been out of the box once since bought last year (but then it was bought as a back up).

I sold my 70-200 which just didn't get use (twice in 2 or 3 years)at all as the 200 wasn't long enough. The 70-300 has been out several times (in 5 months) just to prove the point.
My Nikon 7900 was bought for scuba diving which i no longer do, so that was recently sold as well.

Quite sure there is a fair bit of other stuff to sort out. Software wise, i only have what i need - Lightroom and occasionally Photoshop. If i could survive with only Lightroom i would do so.
Oh yeah, also have Photomatix Pro for HDR. Tried Silver Effex 2 and couldn't see the gain of it. Of the 3 presets i used, i was almost able to replicate 2 myself using the sliders in LR3!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.