• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 36
  • Total: 36
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Today's the day!

Started by greypoint, December 08, 2009, 08:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greypoint

After months of waiting we get to hear who's the DCM photographer of the year. The judge's video was interesting. Just had another look through the categories. For me the Portrait section is the strongest [speaking as someone with no technical knowledge of portraiture this is simply on impact] - and of course the overall winning shot is usually a people shot of some type. Funny how pictures of glamourous young women are used to sell magazines of all sorts but are almost totally absent from this section! Wrinkles rule!!
So, any bets on the overall winner. I'm still backing Hong kong to produce a couple of contenders. Still think the This is Britain section is pretty dire - I think many of the shots would work as part of an exhibition but can't imagine them as competition winners. And the winner never comes from the UK anyway! [Go on prove me wrong!!]

picsfor

To be honest- i'm not bothered either way.

Everything that was DM is now PR and as such is tainted with the 'what a carry on' image.
Come to think of it- i'm betting Sid James, Kenneth Williams, Charles Hawtrey, Hattie Jacques et all would do a better job.

Nemesis

My grandfather was Sid James... 
Kinda forgotten whether the contest was photographer or photograph of the year  ???

Jonathan

Quote from: Nemesis on December 08, 2009, 10:36:07 AM
Kinda forgotten whether the contest was photographer or photograph of the year  ???

It's possible they don't understand the difference......

Just fell for one of Amy's Tweetbaits and watched a video on some famous photographer photographing eyes with a phone.  The production of the video is just shocking.  As more and more cameras add video and quality take a huge leap forwards PR are struggling with the concept of lighting.  A lot.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

Quote from: Jonathan on December 08, 2009, 10:52:35 AM

It's possible they don't understand the difference......

Just fell for one of Amy's Tweetbaits and watched a video on some famous photographer photographing eyes with a phone.  The production of the video is just shocking.  As more and more cameras add video and quality take a huge leap forwards PR are struggling with the concept of lighting.  A lot.

Too many words Jonathan. "PR are struggling" is more than enough!

My grandfather was Sid James... 
It would be fair to say you have a different take on the 'Carry On' films, 'Hancocks Half Hour' etc then the rest of us!

greypoint

It's called photographer of the year but is actually for best photo taken during the past five years ::) It's a bit like the Eurovision song contest - no point in watching the actual songs but the voting is often interesting :2funny:  Just waiting for the controversy when the result is announced.

Graham

Let's all go over there and criticise their curtains! :2funny:
                      Graham. :D
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

picsfor

What the closing curtains?

Will next years comp be called Photo Radar Photographer of the Year?

With their organisation you'll need a radar to find out how to successfully enter a picture!  :D

greypoint

:tup: :tup: :tup: Winner announced - can't believe it - loved this one in the nature section but, bearing in mind previous winners, could'nt think it had a chance. Commercial image too i'd think. Well done judges - although there's bound to be some controversy somewhere  :2funny:

Forseti

Quote from: greypoint on December 08, 2009, 08:04:19 PM
........ although there's bound to be some controversy somewhere  :2funny:

Go on then, I'll bite  :2funny: :2funny:

10 Categories = 30 places (counting only first, second and third).

18 places awarded to Canon - 8 of which a  5D was used and which took not only all the top places in the Landscape category but also took the 10K prize money to boot.

12 places to Nikon - surprisingly, only 1 D3.

Moral of the story: want to win big buy a Canon........ :legit:

I do like the overall winning entry though.......a lot. Now off to take a look at them all more CLOSELY
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Hinfrance

Oldboy is going to have to eat his hat. And buy a 5D  ;D

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Quote from: Tringle WP on December 08, 2009, 08:42:29 PM
Oldboy is going to have to eat his hat. And buy a 5D  ;D

I only use Cannons to fire at people!  :2funny:

Well done to Bootneck47 for second place in "This is Britian" section. After all the flack they got last year I think they took notice.   :tup:

greypoint

Nice to see second in the nature section was taken with a D80 and the 70-300vr - good swan combo! I'd taken a quick second look at the contenders earlier today and, once again the Icelandic ponies had stuck in my head but could't really think a non people shot would win - nice to be proved wrong. Had'nt really considered the winner of the portrait section but it's rather effective really - the second is very striking and the third the 'banker' shot. Thought the shot that won the This is Britain section would win - given the tone of the section! Landscapes perhaps a little stylised. No interest in the fashion or manipulated sections I'm afraid. World in motion winners were  nice. Preferred the 2nd and 3rd in the b/w to be honest. Destination everywhere kept the wrinkly Asian quota up!

Oldboy

Quote from: greypoint on December 08, 2009, 08:58:42 PM
Destination everywhere kept the wrinkly Asian quota up!

Interesting that, as they are locals who took the photos, but destinations don't include the rest of the world.  :doh:

Nemesis

What was the Year of the Photograph again? 
Very few of the final list held my interest, too much artwork for my simple tastes.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.