• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 49
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 38
  • Total: 38
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelb104

Just had to renew my car insurance, the renewal came through with a price which I thought was expensive.  I did some ringing around (I cannot usually use the comparison sites as I need business class 1 cover) and got a price £120.00 cheaper.  I then rang my current provider and told them this, they put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back and said they would match the cheaper price.

WHY DIDN'T GIVE ME THEIR LOWEST PRICE IN THE FISRT PLACE - GRRRRRRRRR   >:( >:( >:( and  >:(
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Reinardina

Quote from: michaelb104 on November 18, 2011, 04:19:40 PM
Just had to renew my car insurance, the renewal came through with a price which I thought was expensive.  I did some ringing around (I cannot usually use the comparison sites as I need business class 1 cover) and got a price £120.00 cheaper.  I then rang my current provider and told them this, they put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back and said they would match the cheaper price.

WHY DIDN'T GIVE ME THEIR LOWEST PRICE IN THE FISRT PLACE - GRRRRRRRRR   >:( >:( >:( and  >:(

Apparently, like a lot of companies, they count on their regular customers keeping schtum, and simply continue paying whatever they're asked to pay. I would, however, have thought that they'd realise that a business man would not fall into that trap!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Mick

Quote from: Reinardina on November 18, 2011, 07:01:15 PM

Apparently, like a lot of companies, they count on their regular customers keeping schtum, and simply continue paying whatever they're asked to pay. I would, however, have thought that they'd realise that a business man would not fall into that trap!

In not so many words, they love ripping people off.   ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Hinfrance

. . because they have shareholders and their legal duty is to maximise the return to them. That means charging what the market will bear, and often losing money on a first year's premium to get the business in through the door in the hope of making a profit overall in years to come.  Motor insurance as a stand alone underwriting exercise is a dead loss.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

greypoint

We had this happen with our business insurance too - part of the insurance is a motor traders policy the rest the usual buildings, contents, liability etc. We'd been with the same brokers and the same insurance company for years with ever increasing premiums and never actually found it worth claiming for anything due to the high excess. Three years ago it shot up a fair bit so we got a quote elsewhere from someone we knew, which was much lower for similar cover with a lower excess. On being told, the first brokers suddenly found us a quote for £500 less than their renewal. When we told them we were still going to pay less for the new policy they dropped another few hundred to match it. We still went with the new company on principle... :)

bones615

Quote from: greypoint on November 18, 2011, 08:16:21 PM
We had this happen with our business insurance too - part of the insurance is a motor traders policy the rest the usual buildings, contents, liability etc. We'd been with the same brokers and the same insurance company for years with ever increasing premiums and never actually found it worth claiming for anything due to the high excess. Three years ago it shot up a fair bit so we got a quote elsewhere from someone we knew, which was much lower for similar cover with a lower excess. On being told, the first brokers suddenly found us a quote for £500 less than their renewal. When we told them we were still going to pay less for the new policy they dropped another few hundred to match it. We still went with the new company on principle... :)

In the old days before comparison sites I used to ring for a few quotes, more often than not the same thing would happen. The current insurer would suddenly find a better quote & I applied the same principles - told them they should have given thier best quote first time around and then changed insurer.
For the first time in a long while this years renewal quote was the best one I got.

While we are on insurance, the wife always looks on her money saving sites that list companies offering cashback deals and sometimes the best quote can be beaten by using this method. A couple of years ago we got £100 back on the car insurance which was almost 50% & this year I got £25 back on the bikes £75 policy.

Simon

greypoint

Going to the kennels in the fog - the sun breaking through and the light getting just right - some new dogs to photograph for our website - Monty puppy playing in the agility area and having fun running through the tunnel - camera battery newly charged........and both memory card slots empty!!! :-\ :uglystupid2:

ABERS

I have a shameful and embarrassing confession to make. :-[

Yesterday I registered with Faece Book! :-[ :-[

Let me make a plea in mitigation. On Saturday I was pointed in the direction of said abomination by someone who had noticed one of my pictures on it. I spent a few hours trying to contact the offender to no avail and I was informed by my daughter the quickest way was to join up and contact him, which I have duly done. :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2:

No reply yet!

This a.m. on opening my email I seem to have a load of people, none of  whom I recognise, wanting to be friends! That's nice of them but I have sufficient at the moment. :tup:

As soon as I get satisfaction about my picture I shall resign immediately!

Having castigated the Faece Book in the past please feel free to snigger and scoff, I've had enough of that already on the phone from my grandchildren :(

Look upon me as not a real member but a transitory country member!  :legit:

Oldboy

Quote from: greypoint on November 21, 2011, 08:14:14 AM
........and both memory card slots empty!!! :-\ :uglystupid2:

That's why I keep a selection of cards in my pockets and a spare battery in my coat.  ::)

Sarasocke

Sue, I once took a visitor to a bird sanctuary about an hours drive away from here. The card was in the slot, but the battery was still in the charger - and I have three batteries! All of them were at home as I just took my camera without my camera bag.

I keep thinking I should join up on Facebook, but I've still avoided it so far. Yesterday at the shelter one of the staff was on a lap top and said that "someone" had opened a page for the shelter and loaded up loads of photos. The same member of staff said she could see the smoke coming out of my ears, then they realised that the photos were all pretty bad and taken on a mobile phone. They couldn't find out who the "someone" was either, at least up to the point where I left for home.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Hinfrance

1. I only ever remove memory cards from the camera when they fail or are full and have to be replaced. Can't help you with the battery thing, except to say make a habit of replacing any discharged battery with a charged one, every time.

2. "resigning' from Bookface is very very long winded and complex. So beware Alan when you try to quit.  ::)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

greypoint

I normally keep my memory card pouch in my pocket - for ages I had a 1gb card in my wallet 'just in case' - and, as I upload to my laptop via the SD slot, I 'always' take the card from the laptop and put it back in the camera when I take the one in the camera out and put it in the laptop........except for yesterday  :-[

As to facebook - we have a group for the rescue and it's mainly a positive thing which helps top spread the word and maintain interest. It's handy because you can share things instantly. We have had a couple of not so nice things but on the whole it's been good for the charity.

Graham

Quote from: ABERS on November 21, 2011, 08:42:40 AM
I have a shameful and embarrassing confession to make. :-[

Yesterday I registered with Faece Book! :-[ :-[

Let me make a plea in mitigation. On Saturday I was pointed in the direction of said abomination by someone who had noticed one of my pictures on it. I spent a few hours trying to contact the offender to no avail and I was informed by my daughter the quickest way was to join up and contact him, which I have duly done. :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2:

No reply yet!

This a.m. on opening my email I seem to have a load of people, none of  whom I recognise, wanting to be friends! That's nice of them but I have sufficient at the moment. :tup:

As soon as I get satisfaction about my picture I shall resign immediately!

Having castigated the Faece Book in the past please feel free to snigger and scoff, I've had enough of that already on the phone from my grandchildren :(

Look upon me as not a real member but a transitory country member!  :legit:

I'm on BookFace too. It's where all the bands and other artists i photograph seem to live. I don't really understand it or how to get the best out of it though. :-[
   When I get a request to be someone's "friend" I'm always tempted to reply with something like " So, show me a good time, take me to dinner, treat me like a lady!"
   Do you think that may make them think twice?
                           Graham. :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

bones615

Im soo tempted to send all the non believers a friend request but I only joined to spy on the kids, its handy now the oldest is at Uni but skype is better & i play Bejewelled on there occasionally to try and beat the kids.
I really dont get it, im not interested in other peoples boring daily life ive got one of my own. As for twitter - no idea never joined.

Simon

greypoint

in the summer I like to have the outside  door to my little office open to let the air in and keep it cool - people invariably shut it when they leave. In the winter I like to have it shut to keep the slight warmth in - people invariably leave it open. But what really bug me are those who walk in and stand there with the door wide open and say 'is'nt it cold today?'... yes it it with the "*&^%! door open  :knuppel2:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.