• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 49
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 41
  • Total: 41
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

picsfor

Re-pension - apparently rules were changed during the last pension shake up.

I can only get the pension if i am never likely to work again. Otherwise i have to wait till i'm 55. And it's only Train Driving that is my issue.

What prevents some one working on the railway, medically speaking, would not even get a second thought in almost every other industry. It's even stricter for Train Drivers - hearing, eye sight not 20/20, unable to run for a mile and quarter over sleepers and ballast, stroke, heart attack are just some of the many things that will end a Drivers career but have no bearing on most other jobs.

As 'JimtheTrain' will tell - every Driver dreads a medical. You go in with a job, and can come out unemployed. Rules assessments are easier - but medicals...  :'( :-X

But that is right when some one is controlling a train - just look at what damage a train can do in a crash - and you've not even seen the potential for a freight train carrying dangerous substances to be involved in a serious crash, and i hope we never do.

jinky

Sorry to hear that Andrew. Hope something turns up soon  ;)

Oldboy

Quote from: picsfor on July 29, 2011, 09:26:53 AM
Re-pension - apparently rules were changed during the last pension shake up.

I can only get the pension if i am never likely to work again. Otherwise i have to wait till i'm 55. And it's only Train Driving that is my issue.

Did you speak to your union official about this?

picsfor

wasn't in the union - best left like that  :-X :-X :-X

spinner

Quote from: Dave on July 26, 2011, 10:48:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your parents Keith.  I am sure you are doing the best you can for them so lets hope this wonder drug helps.

WAMT......  The school holidays are here and so are the drunken youths to litter the back of my shop. In my day ( 70s ) we all had the odd under age drink but would never think of leaving a mess like this for someone else to clean up. In fact we most probably would not have been able to afford the amount they appear to have consumed last night. They seem to have had quite a party. Thought about reporting the event to the local police for them to keep a eye on the situation but I doubt they would do anything about it so why bother.. >:(

I take it then, there's no returns on the empties or deposits on the cans. Here we pay about a dime per can deposit and if we were so drunk as to leave a mess like that, some wandering eccentric would make some money off our mistake. Lots of older types wander around with shopping cars can make a fair penny cleaning this up.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

spinner

Quote from: picsfor on July 29, 2011, 09:59:28 PM
wasn't in the union - best left like that  :-X :-X :-X

Gee Andrew, that's a real downer, not the Union thing, the whole out of work thing. Suddenly, in a bad economy with a specific skill set you can't utilize. I think I know a bit of how you feel, I was forced out of work due to health issues, fortunately I did meet the pension qual. as I was over 55. But leaving a job, not on your terms is a kicker.
Ol' blue eyes

krennon

Got up about 6:20 with good intentions of sorting out the shed today, and doing a couple of dump runs and it's raining....it's supposed to be clearing but not 'til about 9:00 oh well I know we desperately need the rain and at least it's cleared the air a bit just a tad annoying as now it means I'll be traipsing wet footprints through the house.....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

spinner

WAMT? Google/YouTube. I tried to subscribe to someone's Youtube channel yesterday. They asked for a date of birth? I don't want them knowing anymore about me than they already do so I just clicked on the first numbers in their columns. 01/01/2011. Apparently they no longer allow people under 13 to be members, so they rejected this. Fine I won't subscribe. But because of this, they locked my Gmail account. They are now demanding that I provide, either, a Valid Credit Card (so they can charge me $00.30) or a copy of Valid Gov't I.D. before they will reactivate the account (oh and my D.O.B. still). Who do they think they are? The Gov't? It's not like they've shown themselves to be trustworthy with people's data. Big Brother is here and it's name is Google.
Ol' blue eyes

bones615

OUCH, just took a swig of my beer and was stung on the lip by wasp i didnt notice practising his breast stroke. The wasp is no more and there is beer all over the floor.

Reinardina

When the rain stopped early afternoon, I took my camera for a walk on the local Common. It was quiet and I was on a narrow-ish, dark-ish path, looking hard to the right, to try and spot the right bit of wood I wanted for a particular photograph. Suddenly, I noticed a young-ish (again) man standing on the same path, more or less next to me, bike in hand.
He started an inane sort of conversation that I, while politely answering his questions with monosyllables, did not engage with.
He got the message and cycled off.

What annoys me, is that I did not take a photograph of him cycling away! There have been attacks on our local Common and I did not feel happy with the situation at all, and I did not 'shoot' him!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

Quote from: Reinardina on August 04, 2011, 10:41:45 PM
What annoys me, is that I did not take a photograph of him cycling away! There have been attacks on our local Common and I did not feel happy with the situation at all, and I did not 'shoot' him!

You were better not taking a photo, as you couldn't take the chance on his reactions.  ???

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on August 04, 2011, 10:46:03 PM

You were better not taking a photo, as you couldn't take the chance on his reactions.  ???

He was cycling away from me, at rather high speed. I don't think he would have noticed.
He was wearing rather distinctive clothing, I did notice that, but with my poor eyesight, it would be difficult to give a proper description, if it became necessary. (Hope not, as in that case, I'll be forever wondering why I did not tell the police. But you cannot really report someone for just being awkward, can you?)

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Reinardina on August 05, 2011, 08:42:57 AM

He was cycling away from me, at rather high speed. I don't think he would have noticed.
He was wearing rather distinctive clothing, I did notice that, but with my poor eyesight, it would be difficult to give a proper description, if it became necessary. (Hope not, as in that case, I'll be forever wondering why I did not tell the police. But you cannot really report someone for just being awkward, can you?)

Interestingly, the fact that something in the situation made you uncomfortable enough to respond in writing about it here.

As you mention that there have been attacks on the Common previously, you may find that the police are interested or not depending upon their attitude, workload, and situation if they are still investigating or looking at certain behavioural patterns. Looking at the big picture if you like; The most important thing is to act in a responsible way that you will feel comfortable about in the future.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

Quote from: beauxreflets on August 05, 2011, 10:16:39 AM

Interestingly, the fact that something in the situation made you uncomfortable enough to respond in writing about it here.

As you mention that there have been attacks on the Common previously, you may find that the police are interested or not depending upon their attitude, workload, and situation if they are still investigating or looking at certain behavioural patterns. Looking at the big picture if you like; The most important thing is to act in a responsible way that you will feel comfortable about in the future.

The more I think about it, the more suspicious it seems. I'm going to town later, and will be more or less walking past the police station. I'll pop in and see if they're interested.

Also looking into personal alarms at the moment, as the Common is one of my favourite hunting grounds. Especially the quieter parts.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Reinardina on August 05, 2011, 11:12:49 AM
Quote from: beauxreflets on August 05, 2011, 10:16:39 AM

The more I think about it, the more suspicious it seems. I'm going to town later, and will be more or less walking past the police station. I'll pop in and see if they're interested.

Also looking into personal alarms at the moment, as the Common is one of my favourite hunting grounds. Especially the quieter parts.

Visit the Suzy Lamplugh website Reinardina. They offer lots of advice and may even recommend the better personal alarms available.

Above all have a good weekend and stay safe  :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.