• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 128
  • Total: 128
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Which lenses should I choose?

Started by Beaux Reflets, March 09, 2015, 10:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaux Reflets

I am looking at buying a Fuji X T1 with perhaps the XF50-140mm for wildlife and portrait etc., with the stabaliser aspect and reach perhaps being at the back of my mind looking toward the likely future of immobility

What lens would you advise to complement the above for shooting Landscapes etc?

http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/digital-cameras/fujinon-x-mount-lenses/

Many thanks for your assistance, thoughts and advice.

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

jinky

Hope you do better than me Andy. Been looking at that camera and others for months now trying to make my mind up. having tried a few different lenses in my trials in various shops the 10-24 seemed a lovely lens , even if an f4, but for landscapes that`s fine. The 14mm 2.8 R was recommended to me too but having had that one on a boy to see. I`ve just not plunged because I need a more portable alternative to my D700  and lenses but just not been blown away enough on tests in the street outside the shop with moving figures to go for it. I do wonder if this type of camera is good enough for birds / animals given my experiences shooting people getting off buses. hat said I`ve probably yet to find an XT1 properly set up given most times I was in Jessops.  ;).

Hinfrance

Good luck with the purchase Andy. I would have thought that a 140mm maximum would be a little on the short side for wildlife photography.

I'm not much one for landscapes to be frank, but when I do have the odd stab I tend to go for the human perception of the 35mm on the APS-C sensor and stitch a panorama together. The conventional wisdom is that you should use a wide angle lens, and indeed I did years ago acquire a Sigma 10-20, and use it sometimes. What I use it for mostly though is interiors.

My neighbour is a wildlife photographer, and he recommends a Canon APS-C system with one of these on it !
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Graham

I've got an XP1 with 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4 and a 56mm 1.2
  So that's the classic  35, 50 and 85 in old money. I can't fault any of the lenses for build and image quality and I only realy use my D3s for "work" stuff now.
  I use the electronic viewfinder all the time without any issues and the version on the XT1 is supposed to be much better.
  Is that lens you mentioned a 75/210 equivalent? If so it could be usable for garden wildlife and the like, though I don'y think the Fuji range are aimed at wildlife or sports photographers.
  Having said that, I have an adapter that allows me to use my 300mm 2.8 with a 1.4 extender!
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on March 09, 2015, 03:13:11 PM
Hope you do better than me Andy. Been looking at that camera and others for months now trying to make my mind up. having tried a few different lenses in my trials in various shops the 10-24 seemed a lovely lens , even if an f4, but for landscapes that`s fine. The 14mm 2.8 R was recommended to me too but having had that one on a boy to see. I`ve just not plunged because I need a more portable alternative to my D700  and lenses but just not been blown away enough on tests in the street outside the shop with moving figures to go for it. I do wonder if this type of camera is good enough for birds / animals given my experiences shooting people getting off buses. hat said I`ve probably yet to find an XT1 properly set up given most times I was in Jessops.  ;).

Calumet have cashback on Fuji lenses: https://www.calphoto.co.uk/category/FujifilmLensCashback?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=uk_090314_enews&t=CM02&a=CM02&cal   :tup:

Beaux Reflets

Cheers for the input chaps.

I guess I have to make a leap sometime, for while enjoying the super zooms reach, in low light conditions there is still some way to go in getting really sharp usable images especially given my usual lens wobble.

50-140 (70-200 equiv') F2.8 front to back within a fixed lens seems to appeal - perhaps using a x2 for additional scope for garden birds (or a hide), which just leaves me shy on the wide angle side of things.

Howard, a whopper lens your friend recommends would be way beyond my grasp at present.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Oldboy on March 09, 2015, 07:35:48 PM

Calumet have cashback on Fuji lenses: https://www.calphoto.co.uk/category/FujifilmLensCashback?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=uk_090314_enews&t=CM02&a=CM02&cal   :tup:

Cheers OB -  :tup:

jinky

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on March 09, 2015, 08:01:58 PM
Quote from: Oldboy on March 09, 2015, 07:35:48 PM

Cheers OB -  :tup:

Everywhere has cashback on Fuji lenses until 31st March. It`s a Fuji offer together with an extra £100 trade in if you trade in a dslr. The more you buy the bigger the cashback. I`m trying to decide whether t trade in my back up dslr against the XT1 before the deal ends. That said Fuji keep replacing one deal with another.

StephenBatey

I can't advise on a lens for landscapes because it depends on how you look at the world. Personally, I use the equivalent of a 50mm lens on 35mm for the vast majority of my photography, because it gives me the angle of view I want with the perspective that I prefer. You may "see" things differently. You can photograph any subject with any lens (it might not be the expected image, but that's not necessarily a bad thing); choose the lens to suit your own personal way of seeing the world.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Oldboy

For landscapes I use either the 24-70mm F2.8 or the 70-200mm F2.8 VR II. The 14-24mm F2.8 is used only when I decide to do a landscape shot before I leave home.  :tup:

Beaux Reflets

Thanks OB and Stephen, very helpful.

I have to admit that when using my S8000fd I quite often zoom out quite a bit to achieve the balance in composition I want within a landscape shot. So I am now thinking of just getting the one 50-140 lens to use as my prime and working out if there are any personal short falls before shelling out more dosh.  :) :o

Thank you all for your input  :tup:

Oldboy

spikeyjen

I have a 24-70 (Tamron) as my standard lens and use a 10-20 (3.5 Sigma) for landscapes. I love the lens but you do have to make friends with it. Good luck with what you choose.

jinky

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on March 10, 2015, 07:42:50 AM
Thanks OB and Stephen, very helpful.

I have to admit that when using my S8000fd I quite often zoom out quite a bit to achieve the balance in composition I want within a landscape shot. So I am now thinking of just getting the one 50-140 lens to use as my prime and working out if there are any personal short falls before shelling out more dosh.  :) :o

Thank you all for your input  :tup:

The hesitation I have is buying into a new system then lens choice just complicates it even more. That said Fuji have said themselves that they were still in development with the early lenses and they are slowing down now with the speed they put out new bodies / lenses. The newer ones like the 50-140 very fast to focus. I used a 56mm 1.2 on an XT1 and the quality was excellent, although I read one review saying even this one hunts for focus in low light / kids movements. I`m still so unsure of the need for me to invest as I love my dslr so much.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: spikeyjen on March 10, 2015, 01:19:11 PM
I have a 24-70 (Tamron) as my standard lens and use a 10-20 (3.5 Sigma) for landscapes. I love the lens but you do have to make friends with it. Good luck with what you choose.

Cheers Jen.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.