• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 86
  • Total: 86
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Laser Printers, yes, or no?

Started by Mick, May 12, 2013, 10:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

I need a printer for text only,A4 letters etc, and as the inkjet manufacturers seem to be getting away with legalised robbery. (Nice to see them mentioned on watchdog this week). http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018tmk9  Was absolutely shocked at how much they charge for the equivalent of 1 litre of ink, what was it now  :hmm:  £2.400. Thieving B-tards  :knuppel2:

Anyway, I'm thinking about a cheap mono laser printer, something like a Samsung ML-2165W Wireless Laser

or a Brother HL-2135W Wireless Mono Laser Printer A replacement toner cartridge is around £30.00 and will yield up to a 1000 pages. 

Has anyone gone the same route, and has it worked out cheaper for you.  Anything I should be aware of?
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Hinfrance

I used to have a mono laser printer - an ancient Lexmark. I had it for more than 4 years and never had to replace the toner cartridge - which was lucky because they were extra high capacity ones that cost more than £100 a pop. It was brilliant, fast and much clearer print than from the inkjet that replaced it. So if you need a printer for the office then I would say a laser one beats an inkjet hands down.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

I have no personal experience, but ...
I used to know a couple who produced an awful lot of written material, both for work and pleasure, and they switched to a laser printer years ago. For reasons of cost mainly, but they were happy with the results.

This was about seven years ago, but I suppose the printers can only have got better.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Matthew

The inkjet market is run by Dick Turpin........my HP was always dear to keep going, 6 cartridges (£9 odd each) to replace but the quality was fantastic. I used to get the "bumper packs" of 6 cartridges for £38, which wasn't bad.....this was a couple years ago. The cost has been steadily going up. It now costs £56 for the pack and individually cost £12. I also learnt that the cartridges in the bumper pack now only come half filled! >:(

I too now only use it for paperwork, alas I went to the HP official facebook page and it seems I'm not the only one left a-gog by the shocking cost of ink, as I worded it in my post on said page, "is it made with the urine of unicorns?"....as that's the only reason I can think of why it's so dear.

Alas, if laser printing works out cheaper and more economical, I would go for one.
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Mick

Quote from: highlandscenics on May 12, 2013, 03:48:59 PM

The inkjet market is run by Dick Turpin........

It sure is.  Something should be done about it.  :knuppel2:

Quote from: highlandscenics on May 12, 2013, 03:48:59 PM

The inkjet market is run by Dick Turpin........my HP was always dear to keep going, 6 cartridges (£9 odd each) to replace but the quality was fantastic. I used to get the "bumper packs" of 6 cartridges for £38, which wasn't bad.....this was a couple years ago. The cost has been steadily going up. It now costs £56 for the pack and individually cost £12. I also learnt that the cartridges in the bumper pack now only come half filled! >:(

So the same cartridges you bought a while back, now come with even less ink in them, even though they are the same part number?  What a con.  I guess they have the same excuse as epson, their printers now use less ink due to improvement in print technology.   Doesn't help if you own a older printer though does it. 

I'm pretty sure for printing straight text a laser printer is the way to go.  But I reckon if you want to print photos, then they've still got you by the short and curlies.   :doh:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Oldboy

I brought a colour laser printer years ago when they cost £1,200. Before that I had a Mono model which I used for years on the same toner and even sold it with that toner still in it. I wish I had kept it as it was a real workhorse.  :tup:

donoreo

I have only had laser printers until I bought an ink jet just for photos.  I did have an old HP 895something at one time that was given to me.  Being an IT guy I knew long ago that the cost per page and quality of print on lasers were better.  Right now I have a Samsung mutlifunction laser that I have had for several years and my Canon i4700 just for photos. 

Colin

I have been using lasers for years for exactly that the cost of ownership of inkjets is just ridiculous.

I picked up a s/h colour laser a couple of years ago for a steal and even the snapshot photos that it prints are acceptable to most non-photographers. A compatible toner cartridge is less than £20 per colour and they are good for at least 3000 sheets so £80 for a complete set is a great price in comparison with £48 a set for my HP photoprinter where I will be lucky to get 10 A4 prints from per set.

Don't think twice go for it and don't worry about using compatible cartridges and saving even more money. BTW there is a deal at Morgans at the moment a Dell 1355CNW wireless colour laser printer scanner fax with 4 sets of cartridges for £270, a friend has one of these and it works well. They do have cheaper ones too so well worth a look.

Markulous

Been using mono lasers for nearly a decade - not just quality of print but they never dry out/get clogged. Reliable and inexpensive

Used to have inkjets but the cost of running, unreliability and patchy quality made me give up printing photos - online is way cheaper and more consistent

I've had a colour laser for a few years (picked up when they shot down in price - it was actually free!) which is used when I need an instant colour result - reliable, OK quality if maybe a touch expensive to run
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

SimonW

I use a cheap HP colour Laser printer for office stuff as many pages require small spots of colour here and there. Obviously the black toner gets by far the most use, and is much cheaper to replace than ink would be. A slight snag for a one-off print is waiting for warm-up time, which probably seems longer that it really is. And of course it's faster than inkjet for multiple copies.

What surprised me though was how very good an A4 print of a full colour photo turned out using the sample sheets of gloss paper provided with the printer. Certainly good enough for showing off even if not for exhibition or competition.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Oldboy

Quote from: SimonW on May 14, 2013, 09:11:56 AM

What surprised me though was how very good an A4 print of a full colour photo turned out using the sample sheets of gloss paper provided with the printer. Certainly good enough for showing off even if not for exhibition or competition.

It's even better when the colour laser cost £250,000.  :tup:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.