• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 76
  • Total: 76
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Lightroom 3 questions

Started by Treehugga, April 22, 2010, 12:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treehugga

Hi folks

I have a lovely new MBP so am ready to dive into the wonderful world of Lightroom, but have realised v3 is still in beta. Does anyone know how much it will cost to upgrade from 2 to 3? When is 3 released (may be worth holding on)? Also, how does the managing work? I have hundreds, nay, thousands of jpgs in iPhoto but also a load of separate RAW files from my Nikon. I'd like to keep them separate within LR – is this possible?

Thanks

picsfor

In respect of buying v2 or waiting for v3 - i would hold off given how closely we are to expected release date (June approx)
Upgrade cost will probably be about £60-£80 though i would hope nearer the £50 mark.
But in your position, there are significant differences to make it worth your wait and dive in completely with new version and get used to its strengths and weaknesses as opposed to those of v2.
I believe we may yet see a few changes or enhances in the final retail release that we have not seen in the beta version.

In respect of managing - it will set about importing all your images whether they be jpg or RAW - it doesn't care as long as it supports the file type (RAW for individual cameras)
However, you can change that and not let it import any from your current collection or you can import just the ones you want.
Can i ask why you want to keep the files separate according to file format? AS said, LR doesn't really care or treat them any differently!
The simple answer would be to create multiple catalogue's and call on of them jpg or iPhoto and the other as Nikon RAW or TreeHugga along those lines.

In respect of numbers of files, i know of one person who has a single catalogue with 100k of images installed without any problem.
Your big issue is of course H/D space and backing it all up (but then if you have an EHD with Time Machine who cares  :dance:)

Hope that as answered some of your questions...

Treehugga

Cheers Andrew

I see LR3 beta is a free download and expires after the final release, and also will transfer any files across to the new version ok, so it makes sense for me to go ahead with the beta.

As for managing images, my wife has a point and click so I wanted to keep those separate from my Nikon RAWs. Maybe I should just import the RAWs and keep LR separate from the other 'snapshots'? I assume if I wanted to work on any individual files I can just import them from iPhoto as and when?

picsfor

Yes, you can import individual shots as and when.
I currently use the LR3 Beta for that very purpose - experimenting with the development module and output modules.

Why don't you leave the wifes 'snapshots' in iPhoto and use LR for your RAW.
If i only had 'snapshots' i don't think i would move up from iPhoto. I think it does a really good job for a free image manager.

I would advise caution on transferring images from the Beta to the final release.
I seemed to recall reading that any catalogue's you created in the beta would not be transferable to the final release version - and that includes processed pictures unless they've been exported.
Maybe i've read it wrong - will have to have a look now.

Forseti

Slightly OT but I take it that everyone knows that LR 2.7 (using the all but in name Camera Raw 5.7 engine) is now available for downloading as is the new ACR v5.7 update for Photoshop?
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

Yes, downloaded it this morning.
Thanks for the link - i was gonna post similar but got way layed into other duties  :o

Treehugga

Morning folks  :)

Well I downloaded the LR3 beta and am trying to figure it all out via some useful LR2 vids on the Adobe site. I have to say it looks like a very nice piece of software.

One thing that puzzles me is when I flick through the RAW files they open nice and bright but within half a second LR makes them darker! Is this some kind of default RAW setting LR applies? Most of the time it makes them too dark! I know I am going to edit them anyway but to flick through them for the first time like this is annoying. Does anyone else get this? Perhaps there is something in the prefs I can change?

Thanks

Jonathan

This is pretty much the most asked question on Lightroom ;)

Yes, when the image first loads it shows the embedded jpeg with in camera processing.  When it renders you get the unprocessed raw.  You can apply a default profile on import to replicate what your camera has done to the jpeg.
It's Guest's round

Treehugga

Thanks Jonathan, I'll have a look at this when I get home. How do you set a profile up?

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.