• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 105
  • Total: 105
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Art in B+W

Started by ABERS, May 07, 2014, 10:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiDiva

His work is very good. Simple but with impact. Brought back memories of my childhood. Thanks for sharing Abers
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Reinardina

I totally agree with you. I find his work very art déco; it reminds me of thirties illustrations. Which I like very much.
I also love smoking factory chimneys.

Maybe it is possible to get this effect with careful editing?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

DigiDiva

I found a perfect setting for this sort of image on Monday but regrettably, its a 42 mile drive each  way and with the light nights, probably out of my range until winter time or at least till sundown is earlier. Redcar beach in Cleveland, where the chemical industry till leaves smoking chimney's on the horizon.

Reinardina, Im so pleased we agree on something for once haha. A nice change.

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: DigiDiva on May 07, 2014, 10:45:24 PM
I found a perfect setting for this sort of image on Monday but regrettably, its a 42 mile drive each  way and with the light nights, probably out of my range until winter time or at least till sundown is earlier. Redcar beach in Cleveland, where the chemical industry till leaves smoking chimney's on the horizon.

Reinardina, Im so pleased we agree on something for once haha. A nice change.

When you come down give me a shout. Im 8 miles from there and can can show you a few spots to shoot from.
You wont see any "smoke" from  any chemical plants though. You may see some water vapour ( or steam ) and a couple of flare stacks from the SSI steel plant, the Wilton chemical site  and the refinery on the north side of the river.
You could even do an early morning shoot and get some shots of the sunrise over Saltburn and Boulby Cliffs with the new windfarm spoiling the view.
One from a few year ago. Not B+W (sorry Alan), but will give you an idea what I mean
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Reinardina

You started something Alan!

Instead of doing the hundred and one things I have to do, I found my shot of the steel plant in Holland and played around with it, in the hope to get close to a Grimshaw.

I know it's not pure black and white, but I tried a desaturated version, and I think this one looks better. It has more of the art déco feel to it.
Not too bad for a first attempt, I think.

But I'd better get back to work now!

ABERS

Here's my attempt at the 'Grimshaw' style. No smoking chimmneys just a similar light.

Taken some years back when Anthony Gormley peppered the South Bank with his standing men, before he moved them to Crosby beach.

DigiDiva

Sir Gormley, of the Gateshead Angel. Reinardina, yours is a very good attempt.

Andrew

This could even be a comp theme!
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Hinfrance

Good idea Andrew - we've had tribute to your favourite photographer before - about time it came around again.

Meanwhile, inspired (if that's the word) by this thread, I spotted the very simple painting of Stonehenge and thought I'd have a pop. Nowhere near as clean and simply as the original, but fun to do - I got a lot of practice removing unwanted tourists, fences and the ubiquitous UK signs saying 'don't' and 'no' and 'don't even think it'.

I think the centre needs lightening a bit too.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

A "smokey shot" and resisting painterly effects

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

ABERS

Seems to have roused things. Good job its raining and I can keep out of the garden for a while. ::)

Makes you look through your old catalogues as well and perhaps apply a new slant that you've picked up over the years. :idea:

Beaux Reflets

Certainly got my grey matter working  :2funny:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

This is the sort of thing I dread! Too much to do, and I'm playing with editing software.

Had another go at the chimneys. I'll look for another suitable photograph later, unless I really get on with my work.

The day I took this shot, I was seeing chimneys everywhere, so I must have different images that I can use. They're on en external hard drive though, and I will have to dig them out.

ABERS

Gets a bit addictive this. ???

A groyne at Brancaster some what Grimshawed.

I'm sure it would drive the B+W aficionados and fine art merchants crackers but who cares! 8)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.