• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 72
  • Total: 72
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Bit Of An Old Stamping Ground

Started by ABERS, October 08, 2014, 07:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

Saw this this morning and was somewhat surprised that it seemed to be presented as a 'new' take on part of the London Scene.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-29518975

I started in the 80's and spent many a happy hour catching the people on camera, some strange, some not so strange and some downright weird!

My images are archived in the Bishopsgate Institute that holds an archive on the place.

http://www1.clikpic.com/ALANABERS/section153282.html

http://www1.clikpic.com/ALANABERS/gallery_121105.html

As I say, it really is the 'Best Free Show In London'. If you have a spare Sunday afternoon when in town make your way there photograph and enjoy the spectacle, and join in if you dare  ::)

Andrew

Yes, I too saw this article - and based on the intor blurb on the front page I half expected to see your pics.

He clearly has a better marketing agent!  ::)
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

ABERS

Should have signed you up Andrew  ;)

Sold 83 Blurb books so far. (Didn't realise I'd got that many relatives 8))

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on October 09, 2014, 10:00:40 AM
Should have signed you up Andrew  ;)

Sold 83 Blurb books so far. (Didn't realise I'd got that many relatives 8))

That sounds impressive Alan. Do you market them in any way, or is it mainly through clubs and other photographically centred environments that they get the publicity?
Have they ever been presented for a review?

So far, I have only made two books, one for a relative and one purely for myself. Not commercial at all.
I sometimes think about digging out shots that might be suitable for a 'general book,' but always get distracted and lost.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

ABERS

The sales were made by pointing people towards Blurb whenever possible, either by word of mouth, attaching a link to my web site, showing an example whenever I gave a talk to a camera club on the subject or just by other people giving a recommendations.

No sales for the past year but I didn't set out to make a fortune  ::) and only embarked on the process when somebody suggested the portfolio might make a reasonable book. I've made a couple more since but no great shakes from them, but it only goes to show if you want to make sales you need to make the effort to sell 'em.

Reinardina

Thank you for the explanation.

PR is everything these days; maybe you should get an agent to promote your books?

You may not have set out to make a fortune, but inane celeb selfies are constantly in the news, so people must be interested in images. If they are suddenly confronted by some of your gripping shots, who knows where that will lead?

I won't charge you for this advice. Yet.

ABERS

Quote from: Reinardina on October 14, 2014, 08:26:35 AM

PR is everything these days; maybe you should get an agent to promote your books?

I won't charge you for this advice. Yet.

I spent the last 15 years of my working life as the Press/Publicity/ PR manager for the UK and ROI of a global company. I can smell a PR initiated scam a mile off, my wife often accuses me of suffering from severe cynicism when some pathetic nobody or a failing celeb tries to garner some publicity to either bolster their ego or keep their agent happy.  ;)

Reinardina

That's the problem these days, with people's interest in celebs (even the broadsheets are guilty, in one way or another), the only publicity that seems to get attention is theirs.

But if you're from the (old) PR world yourself, you'd know how to get things noticed.

Ever approached Waterstone's or an independent book store? Christmas is the time for beautifully laid out 'coffee table books.' Even for discerning people.

ABERS

We have a lady in our club (I nearly said in the club) who produces books of the local scenery. Endless pictures of deer in Richmond Park, the Thames at all times of day, Hampton Court etc. etc. and does very well with them in the local Waterstones. It's not a path that I would like to follow however, I would get bored very quickly.

However it works and for anyone wanting to make a bit of dosh it could be one way of achieving it.

oggalily

I prefer your work to Enklemann's, Abers.  Your distinct post-processing gives the images much more directness and they are vastly more engaging.

Reinardina

I would have thought, there'd be a distinct market for them.

Hinfrance

Quote from: oggalily on October 15, 2014, 12:39:00 AM
I prefer your work to Enklemann's, Abers.  Your distinct post-processing gives the images much more directness and they are vastly more engaging.

Ditto
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Blimey! Thanks for the compliments. I think Mr Enkleman's approach is different in as much as he is trying to display the atmosphere and the essence of the place when it is in 'full flow'.

Whereas all I'm really interested in are the characters and their expressive faces and quite frankly, if they congregated elsewhere I'd be in that place as well. Having said that I'm all for the easy life and The Corner presents such a variety of opportunities in that respect that it's a magnet that I can't resist, a bit like shooting fish in a barrel really.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.