• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 128
  • Total: 128
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Lightroom 4 - New LOW PRICE

Started by picsfor, March 06, 2012, 09:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfonso_Frisk

Question for the lightroom users here.
I have a new lappy on the way and intend to buy and install the latest version of LR4 on it.

I do have "a version" of LR2.7 installed on the XP  laptop I am using at the moment and was wondering if it is easy to transfer the back ups, and libraries etc from that to the new machine once LR4 is purchased and installed ?
TIA
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

ABERS

A friend of mine did something somewhat similar after buying a new PC and succeeded in getting it right, but he said it was a bit time consuming!

It was L/r 3 from XP to the latest operating system.

Good luck :tup:

Simple

I did the upgrade from 3 to 4. At the end of install it will ask if you want the catalogues etc. from pevious versions to work on LR4. So for that to work you will have to copy and paste the old .CAT file and the pictures on the new machine first. ( at an identical file address) The way I would do it is installing the oldLR on the new machine, copy and paste the .CAT file and transfer all my images to the new PC. Than run LR and ensure it can find all the images with the adjustments. If it cannot find them it is easy to point it to the new directory where your pics are. when everything is OK, install the new version of LR and agree for the old version to integrate.
As said before it will take ages!!!! Not just minutes but Hours! I have a fast machine but I left it running overnight, so plan that in.
I did have a vast amount of pictures however.
Simon

Hinfrance

The short answer from this side of the channel is NO. I had a LR3 trial and built a full catalogue. I have not been able to get LR4 to import it. It runs for a few hours then crashes, without fail.

Allegedly Adobe have fixed this, but it still doesn't work.

Definitely worth buying though.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

donoreo

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on December 27, 2012, 11:25:07 AM
Question for the lightroom users here.
I have a new lappy on the way and intend to buy and install the latest version of LR4 on it.

I do have "a version" of LR2.7 installed on the XP  laptop I am using at the moment and was wondering if it is easy to transfer the back ups, and libraries etc from that to the new machine once LR4 is purchased and installed ?
TIA
Alf
You could try over at Lightroomforums.net.  There are many experts over there that can give you step by step instructions for this. 

Hinfrance

Hi Don, yep, they are very helpful there.

I went there and even got a personal reply from the Lightroom Queen (or one of her minions writing under her name). They told me to do exactly what I had already been doing - still didn't merge. So what I do now is just open the old catalogue under LR4 when I need to look at it. Maybe LR5 will be able to do what Aftershot Pro can, and open more than one catalogue at a time.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

donoreo

Quote from: Hinfrance on December 28, 2012, 09:11:24 AM
Hi Don, yep, they are very helpful there.

I went there and even got a personal reply from the Lightroom Queen (or one of her minions writing under her name). They told me to do exactly what I had already been doing - still didn't merge. So what I do now is just open the old catalogue under LR4 when I need to look at it. Maybe LR5 will be able to do what Aftershot Pro can, and open more than one catalogue at a time.
I do not think she has minions, I am pretty sure it her.  She is very helpful and knowledgeable.  Have you tried again after each update to LR4?  4.3 is out now. 

Hinfrance

Don, I've still got 4.2 at the moment. I'll update it later. But for now, opening another catalogue is an effective work around for me.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

jinky

I`m still on Lightroom 3.6. Is it worth the upgrade to LR4? Was initially reading that people thought it was slower and clunkier. Have further  updates resolved that/ Is it worth me shelling out another £55?

ABERS

I get terribly puzzled when I read all the negative comments about L/R, i.e clunky, slow, unable to do this or that with it, problems with catalogues and printing etc.

I use it all the time, and have just downloaded the 4.3 upgrade. I suppose I'm tempting fate but it seems to work perfectly as far as I'm concerned and there again perhaps I'm not using it to its full capacity. I've got some 8,000 images on there built up over 5 years, 80% of those could be dumped, perhaps the more you load the slower and clunkier it gets, but I can't forsee any vast increase over time since I can't take any meaningful photographs in any great quantity.

" If I knew how to take great photographs, I'd take one every time" R Doisneau. ::)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.