• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 237
  • Total: 237
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Why Does My Camera Do This?

Started by DigiDiva, April 20, 2014, 08:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiDiva

Often, when I am out on a shoot, camera set to raw, when I get home and download my images, the camera has switched to JPEG itself mid-shoot, which is very annoying and inconvenient. Has anyone come across this before and how can I sop it? Its a Canon 60D.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Hinfrance

Have you accidentally hit a quick access button somewhere? My Pentax has a dedicated button for switching to RAW or Jpeg on the lens mount. I did used to press it by accident sometimes, but I'm better now :) Actually I reassigned it to something else; can't quite remember what at the moment. Must check . . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

DigiDiva

Im not aware my camera has such a button. Will RTFM..haha, that might help. Thanks H

Reinardina

Quote from: DigiDiva on April 20, 2014, 08:39:18 AM
Im not aware my camera has such a button. Will RTFM..haha, that might help. Thanks H

Mind your language.

Manuals can be very helpful

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: DigiDiva on April 20, 2014, 08:07:20 AM
Often, when I am out on a shoot, camera set to raw, when I get home and download my images, the camera has switched to JPEG itself mid-shoot, which is very annoying and inconvenient. Has anyone come across this before and how can I sop it? Its a Canon 60D.
This has happened a few times with me on the D200.
Checked the days shots and find I have shot in both RAW and jpeg.
When I looked back  on situations from the shoots I discovered it only changed whilst I was using the cam in portrait position.
I suspect I must have been touching the "qual" button with the left thumb whilst adjusting F stop or shutter speed during the framing etc. thus changing the setting at the same time.
Hope this helps
Alf
Its annoying
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Mick

Did you change the mode dial while out and about?  I'm pretty sure you can only shoot RAW in certain modes, and if for example you set the camera to full Auto, or one of the basic modes it will revert back to jpg.  That said, I have no idea if this still happens on modern Canon's, it did on the older ones.  I'm still living in the dark ages.

Check the EXIF info on those images to see what mode you were shooting in. ;)  And I would defo check the manual, and see what modes will accept RAW shooting.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

2Beers

I'm With Mick on this as when using basic modes such as auto etc the camera switches to JPEG

Alfonso_Frisk

I shoot manual and raw and as I said its happened a few times to me
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Andrew

Have owned 3 different Canons in the digital age - but never used the modes, always shot in manual setting Aperture & Shutter & ISO myself. That said, I have been known to use Aperture and Shutter Priority on occasions just to see what they were like - but they never changed the IQ setting from RAW to jpg anywhere.

Sorry to hear you're having such issues though.
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

donoreo

I just checked on mine.  I have it set raw.  If I switch to one of the picture modes it goes to JPG.  When I switch back to Av, it goes to raw again.  So my 450D switches and but switches back. 

DigiDiva

This all makes sense now. I think it has happened when I used programme mode, Thanks everyone, and sorry Reinardina for my language, I just used a phrase from the old DC mag forum.

anglefire

RTFM is a common phrase that is used in many places. The F means whatever you want it to mean. Flippin' is the obvious one.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Reinardina

Quote from: anglefire on April 20, 2014, 10:49:17 PM
RTFM is a common phrase that is used in many places. The F means whatever you want it to mean. Flippin' is the obvious one.

I was going to say, 'I stand corrected,' and blame my 'Dutchness' (can be very handy at times!), but it's obvious 'flipping' wasn't the word Chris had in mind.

And yes, I know RTFM is widely used; so is 'Mind your language.' Both phrases used in jest, in this case.

DigiDiva

Read the fat manual.....its always fat, far too many pages....

Reinardina

Quote from: DigiDiva on April 21, 2014, 07:41:40 AM
Read the fat manual.....its always fat, far too many pages....

Fat manual much better than a manual on CD, you have to put on your computer. At least you can sit down comfortably, and peruse it at leisure.
Bet you found out a lot you didn't know about your camera. Did you find the solution?

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.