• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 120
  • Total: 120
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Fast Prime

Started by michaelb104, April 02, 2012, 02:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlj

The Alpha mount isn't short on cheap affordable primes. 35mm and 50mm all for just over £100. The 85mm f2.8 a smidgen more. Dyxum database is a good place to look at the iq on Sony bodies too.

I personally own the 50mm f1.8, but not sure how much use it's gonna get since I invested in the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 mind.

Jonathan

Quote from: jinky on April 03, 2012, 06:55:27 PM
It`s the Nikon 1.4 G just under £300

This one?
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-nikon-50mm-f1-4-g-af-s-lens/p1028370

Very nice lens.  Flare control far better than the old 1.4.  People who say it's soft may have difficulty using a 1.4 lens ;)

Very slow to focus though.  Like very slow.  And there's really no reason for that - Nikon must have just decided to make it slow.

Quote from: jinky on April 03, 2012, 06:55:27 PM
What do you mean by 105 DC?

This http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=67
It's Guest's round

jinky

Yes that`s the one Jonathan. yes similar to what I have read but people complaining often seem to reply that they have been using a focus point on the eye and then recomposing and so shifting focus with a 1.4. That DC lens sounds interesting and probably much more useful as a portrait lens but I`ll work with what I have a bit longer yet I think. I am trying to shoot more with my lenses wide open and check out performance at the moment as I have been guilty of playing too safe sometimes I feel.

Jonathan

Quote from: jinky on April 04, 2012, 08:10:23 AM
Yes that`s the one Jonathan. yes similar to what I have read but people complaining often seem to reply that they have been using a focus point on the eye and then recomposing and so shifting focus with a 1.4.

Yep that would be it.  They can't use a lens at 1.4 ;)
It's Guest's round

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: Jonathan on April 04, 2012, 10:00:45 AM
Quote from: jinky on April 04, 2012, 08:10:23 AM
Yes that`s the one Jonathan. yes similar to what I have read but people complaining often seem to reply that they have been using a focus point on the eye and then recomposing and so shifting focus with a 1.4.

Yep that would be it.  They can't use a lens at 1.4 ;)

:tup:
C'mon JR, lets have some tips for getting the best out of our F1.4 lenses.  ;) ;)
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Jonathan

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on April 04, 2012, 10:26:56 AM
:tup:
C'mon JR, lets have some tips for getting the best out of our F1.4 lenses.  ;) ;)

Don't recompose ;)

This should make things clear..... http://www.hasselbladusa.com/media/2234814/when%20true%20focus%20makes%20a%20difference.pdf
It's Guest's round

Graham

Some one famously said "You don't choose which eye to focus on, you choose which eyelash to focus on!"
                     Graham. ;)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on April 05, 2012, 04:48:10 PM
   Some one famously said "You don't choose which eye to focus on, you choose which eyelash to focus on!"
                     Graham. ;)

I always thought you didn't shoot until you saw the whites of the eye!  :2funny:

jinky

Damn you Jonathan you have me looking at the 100DC now - or even better the 135 dc even dearer one. Great reviews everywhere and love the idea of the adjustable bokeh

Hinfrance

Paul, if I might refer you to Don's earlier thread at this point, before you do something daft. Not to mention expensive  :D

Meanwhile I am finding that I am having quite a lot of fun with my Fuji Bridge camera. Yep, naff all DOF control what with it being a compact sensor, but now I've worked out where some of the weak spots are I am snapping away quite merrily. I take it along with the K5 for its sheer instantaneous versatility.

But this thread has made me decide to dig the 50mm from the bottom of the little used kit pit and stick it on the front of a DSLR this weekend,
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

I don`t get the link with Don`s earlier thread and the tyre sensors?  ???

I`m getting a few paid jobs just now and desperately trying to just lift some of the shots I do hence the interest in a decent portrait lens. I do use my 50mm and 85mm 1.8s but their bokeh can be harsh wide open I find. I may not be investing just now in anything I am looking at so don`t worry H. probably stick to using my excellent Sigma 70-200 for those portraits which I find is sharper than the Nikon 85mm at most apertures but offers a much softer background too. Can`t knock a man for looking. I have given up looking for a bridge though - just cannot get anything that matches any where near the quality of my D700 and if travelling i`ll take fewer lenses and leave the grip off rather than take something not as good to a place I might not be back to again.

Hinfrance

Sorry Paul, totally mucked up the link - it wasn't Don's, it was John's HERE.

Anyway, you're right about the bridges, any quality they offer is in a very narrow range. But my baggage allowance is only so big and I have to carry the water and sandwiches as well when on tour, so a bridge it has to be. I'll just keep it on ISO100 and keep my fingers crossed :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jonathan

Just seen a 135 DC for sale at £600.  #justsayin
It's Guest's round

jinky

Ooh - where Jonathan?

Jonathan

It's on Talk Photography - and also eBay (may be slightly higher on there)
It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.