• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 175
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 175
  • Total: 175
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Conflict Photography.

Started by ABERS, May 11, 2012, 08:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

Well worth a look for all you budding war photographers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18030102

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/6915318.stm

I can vividly remember the bayoneting picture appearing in the papers way back and the coldblooded horror of it.

At a recent Arena seminar, the Magnum photographer Ian Berry referred to this incident when asked if there was any situation that was 'off limits' as far as he was concerned. He said everyone there knew what was about to happen, that the prisoners were going to be killed, and he and some others agreed this was beyond the pale and walked away. He said the chap that took the pictures at the time won a Pulitzer prize. It was a question of how bad you wanted a Pulitzer Prize!

Graham

I also remember the arguments surrounding the bayoneting pictures. Had all of the photographers turned their backs, would the killings have taken place, who knows.
The whole scene does appear to have been set up for the benefit of onlookers, be they local or the world at large via the press.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

This is the war image I always remember: http://www.cah.utexas.edu/db/dmr/gallery_lg.php?s=3&gallery=eddie_adams

The question is, would I take the photo? I don't know, as it would depend on the circumstances at the time.

Graham

Quote from: Oldboy on May 11, 2012, 09:07:08 AM
This is the war image I always remember: http://www.cah.utexas.edu/db/dmr/gallery_lg.php?s=3&gallery=eddie_adams

The question is, would I take the photo? I don't know, as it would depend on the circumstances at the time.

Remember that one as well Oldboy. The full sequence of shots, from the chap being caught, to him lying in a pool of blood, was reproduced in one of the Press Photograph of the Year books. This is the pic which is most often reproduced, presumably because it shows the horror of what is about to happen.
Would these pictures be in the papers today?
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on May 11, 2012, 09:15:08 AM
This is the pic which is most often reproduced, presumably because it shows the horror of what is about to happen.

If you look close you will see the gun has been fired and the bullet is exiting the far side of his head. It shows the split second of death. My guess is the photographer wouldn't know what he captured until the photo was developed.

Quote from: Graham on May 11, 2012, 09:15:08 AM

Would these pictures be in the papers today?

Yes, as shock value sells newspapers. A lot of the images from the Vietnam war wouldn't be remembered today except for Life magazine, which published them in glorious colour. Magazines tend to be kept for a month or more newspapers, on the other hand, tend to be ditched daily.

Jonathan

Can't remember who it was....maybe Don Mcullen...said the most chilling thing he witnessed is when an officer asked whether prisoners should be executed immediately or wait until the morning.  "When will the light be better for the pictures?"

Yes.  If I was there I'd do the job.  But it's pretty unlikely I'd be there.
It's Guest's round

nickt

There's some thought provoking images there. I've mentioned this photographer before:-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Nick

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Hinfrance

I found some of these really gut wrenching. I'm sure there are loads more in the same vein.  :'(
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Of the 63 images there are only 8 in colour and whilst those 8 have the same content, i.e. conflict and desperation, they have less impact, for me anyway.

The Vietnam war illustrates that even the most powerful nation on earth with its attendant overwhelming fire power and technological know-how of the time, could not overcome an enemy that was driven, and implacably determined. Is Afghanistan a repeat performance?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but do these pictures just illustrate the sacrifices the G.I.'s were asked to make or just illustrate the futility and horror of it all? :uglystupid2:

jinky

Yes an amazing set and like Abers I find the colour less gritty and real than the b&w images. I know I`d never be shooting anywhere near a conflict so would never have the dilemna of what to take / not take - thank God!

Reinardina

Would people have been aware, of the scale and severity of the things that took place, if it wasn't for these images?
Would stories not have been dismissed as exaggerated?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

The American military made a mistake during the Vietnam war, allowing the press complete freedom for reporting. Most of the senior officers served their time in the second world war, where cameras, both film and television, were heavy, helicopters were few and it was difficult for reporters to get where the action was. This all changed in Vietnam where helicopters were the backbone of transport. This allowed reporters to hitch a ride to the lastest battle whilst it was happing. This meant film and television pictures could be flown back ready for broadcasting in the evening news. In some cases the public saw the results of battles before the commanders who were running the war. The graphic images from the front line were the reason why America's public turned against the war to such an extent, even today not many accept the Vietnam vets as they would rather forget about the war completely.  :o

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.