• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 147
  • Total: 147
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Are tattoed people stereotyped?

Started by Matthew, August 11, 2013, 10:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

When you see a person with tattoo's walking toward you in the street, sat in a bar, in a shop.....what are your immediate thoughts/perceptions of that person if you are non-tattooed?
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donoreo

Depends on the person and the rest of the "package".  If they look like, say Russian mob, then just keep walking. If they are some 20-something who is just following the trend like so many other 20-somethings, then I mock them silently in my head.   Personally, I find tattoos repulsive.  I had a girlfriend once who wanted one, got one, and lost a boyfriend. 

Matthew

Quote from: donoreo on August 11, 2013, 10:17:12 PM
Depends on the person and the rest of the "package".  If they look like, say Russian mob, then just keep walking. If they are some 20-something who is just following the trend like so many other 20-somethings, then I mock them silently in my head.   Personally, I find tattoos repulsive.  I had a girlfriend once who wanted one, got one, and lost a boyfriend.

Thank you for your honest response. It's an interesting topic to me, because as soon as I got the tattoo on my neck, a couple of friends said it made me look like a gangster. In fact it's anything but, I have the Chinese for "Family" tattooed there, to symbolise my faith in the family unit. I have other tattoo's, but again, these all represent a meaning. But the initial response interested me, so I thought I'd throw it out there, hence this topic.
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ABERS

Quote from: Matthew on August 11, 2013, 10:14:26 PM
When you see a person with tattoo's walking toward you in the street, sat in a bar, in a shop.....what are your immediate thoughts/perceptions of that person if you are non-tattooed?

A dedicated follower of fashion.

What do you think if you are tattooed?

Jediboy

Yes and no.

I have tattoos but they are covered except when I'm swimming. Personally I have never hd any negative comments/behaviour.
I have however seen stereotyping towards others with tattoos and also in the media.
The problem with stereotyping is that's its often misguided, but we all it.

I know that tattoos are not for everyone, and they can have the Marmite effect, so not everyone will like them.
I do believe that people should not be judged just because they have tattoos.
Just my thoughts.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Reinardina

Quote from: Matthew on August 11, 2013, 10:54:03 PM

Thank you for your honest response. It's an interesting topic to me, because as soon as I got the tattoo on my neck, a couple of friends said it made me look like a gangster. In fact it's anything but, I have the Chinese for "Family" tattooed there, to symbolise my faith in the family unit. I have other tattoo's, but again, these all represent a meaning. But the initial response interested me, so I thought I'd throw it out there, hence this topic.

Are you sure it says 'family'? Have you had it checked by a 'real' Chinese? I've heard horror stories about Chinese tattoos, that said something totally different.

I'm not keen on tattoos myself, even though I admire the skills of some tattooists. It's a generation thing, I suppose. In 'my' day 'normal, everyday' people did not have tattoos.

I know it is very fashionable these days, and even middle aged ladies have tattoos. Daughter (who is in her mid twenties) has a small tattoo on, or near, her wrist.

My immediate reaction is the same, I think, as when I see someone with a Mohican, or a really over the top piece of clothing or jewellery: if the 'rest' of the person looks okay, no problem. Like Don, if he/she looks intimidating, I look the other way.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Jediboy

Quote from: Reinardina on August 12, 2013, 08:07:17 AM

Are you sure it says 'family'? Have you had it checked by a 'real' Chinese? I've heard horror stories about Chinese tattoos, that said something totally different.

I'm not keen on tattoos myself, even though I admire the skills of some tattooists. It's a generation thing, I suppose. In 'my' day 'normal, everyday' people did not have tattoos.

I know it is very fashionable these days, and even middle aged ladies have tattoos. Daughter (who is in her mid twenties) has a small tattoo on, or near, her wrist.

My immediate reaction is the same, I think, as when I see someone with a Mohican, or a really over the top piece of clothing or jewellery: if the 'rest' of the person looks okay, no problem. Like Don, if he/she looks intimidating, I look the other way.

You'd love me then. I occasionally have a mohican too!!! But only on my days off. :tup:

Chris

Mick

I don't have any tattoos, and don't have a problem with people that do.  There's one guy I see walking around town quite frequently though, and he's tattooed from head to foot, even his face is covered by them.  Methinks that's taking things a little too far IMO.   ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Reinardina

Quote from: Jediboy on August 12, 2013, 08:14:59 AM
Quote from: Reinardina on August 12, 2013, 08:07:17 AM

You'd love me then. I occasionally have a mohican too!!! But only on my days off. :tup:

I'm sure I'd love you! Some Mohicans are breathtaking. Same as the vibrant hair some girls have these days . I photographed quite a few in the streets, but now I come to think of it, there seem to be more girls with vibrant hair around, than men with Mohicans. Are they going out of fashion?

Jediboy

Yes, they probably are going out of fashion. I do get some funny looks, but thats OK, I can see why. I understand that I can be seen as aggressive, but that perception doesn't reflect my character.

Chris

SimonW

My 16 year old grand-daughter's natural dark brown hair has lately been through the mill - various shades and combinations of purple, red, green etc. Last week it was relatively normal blonde - and it looked terrible. This week it's flourescent pink, and this actually suits her and looks good.  (I do wonder what long term damage it's doing to her hair though.)
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

2Beers

Quote from: SimonW on August 12, 2013, 09:11:43 AM
My 16 year old grand-daughter's natural dark brown hair has lately been through the mill - various shades and combinations of purple, red, green etc. Last week it was relatively normal blonde - and it looked terrible. This week it's flourescent pink, and this actually suits her and looks good.  (I do wonder what long term damage it's doing to her hair though.)

I may be old fashioned but I still think first impressions are everything and stereotype a persons character. I have always thought that the young girls of today that get tattoo's etc are unaware of the effect they can have in later life, E.G when looking for employment etc.

Just my tuppence worth

Reinardina

Thought these might go nicely with this subject.

Took this candid of a woman doing stretch exercises at the Winchester Hat Fair.

Southampton is full of Rhinos this summer. This is my favourite, because of the Mohican.

alexharrison101

i have several tattoos, but the majority have a meaning. my partner and i have the same vine tattoo on our side (mine on my left, she on her right - mirrored) so symbolise our relationship and link to a reading at our civil partnership ceremony about two trees becoming one over time (not as cheesy as it sounds, i promise!). i also have the phrase "per ardua ad astra" on my arm, which roughly translates as "through adversity to the stars" to symbolise my struggles to get through hard times and reach a more positive future. i have some tribal designs on my back that were done when i was younger, which to me are a reminder of being young and impetuous, but even they had significance at the time, and i can appreciate them for that - each one marked a particular event of significance to me.

i know tattoos aren't everyone's cup of tea, but you'd never know i have mine unless i choose to show them to you. i wouldn't ever get one that would be visible at work, because i work in a school and don't think that it is necessarily appropriate...

just my opinion, as ever!
EOS 700D, 50mm f/1.8, 17-55mm f/2.8, 70-200 L f/4 IS plus a whole load of filters and closeup attachments!

my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexharrison101/

wavemachine

I do remember Jo Brand saying something like "Why bother getting a tatoo just get a T-Shirt that says I have been to prison";)

Seriously though it really depends, there are people who like a tatoo somewhere covered, others who are total body art fanatics right through to aggresive nutters I think most people can tell which category they fall into. I personally have nothing against tatoos it is like anything ultimately a personal choice, I choose not to have one because it is parmanent and also because I hate needle in other works iam a wuss;)

With regards to stereotyping it depends on the current fashion, I remember when grade 1 & 2 hair cuts were only worn by people in the army who were respected and thugs who were not, similarly mohicans or brightly coloured hair was the same but these days no one takes much notice, the same with leather jackets, denim jackets etc.

I have been wrong though there is a guy in a town near us covered head to tow in tatoos, piercings etc and people give him a wide birth yet having spoken to him he is one of the most pleasant, kindest  and caring individuals I have ever met and to be honest taught me how wrong you can be on first impressions!
My Flickr
366 Project

Dave

Turn to the dark side, we have tea and biscuits

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.