• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 61
  • Total: 61
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Stupid Question Time

Started by Hinfrance, February 21, 2013, 01:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

OK, today I get an email from some shop or other telling me that the new Nikon 7100 thingy is about to vie for my money. Well it's already lost because I am back in musical instrument spending mode, what little funding there is will go that way . .

My stupid question is this: given that the very first thing I do when I get hold of any camera is switch it to spot focusing*, what the heck is the point of having 51 point focusing? Has anyone here ever taken a photograph with 51 separate things as the centre of focus? And if you did, why didn't you just reduce the aperture appropriately?

*except for a Canon I was lent once; I couldn't work out how to stop it focusing apparently at random all over the scenes I was taking, so the pictures were all disasters - you know, child sitting at table, focused on the table, people in front of trees, focused on the trees - no wonder Andy was having trouble with that Canon on the telly.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Not a stupid question Howard. I was trying to make a similar point in my thread Back to Basics http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=3229.0

Marketing cameras these days seems to stress how each little Xtra will make you a better photograph  ;D - When it is the photographer that makes the photograph.  :tup:

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

donoreo

A lot of people leave the focusing on auto.   I think there is a lager number of "cross type" focus points on this model and they are better and more accurate.  My camera only has one cross type, the centre.  Most older cameras are the same. 

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.