• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 32
  • Total: 32
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Image upload File information

Started by wiganbloke, January 09, 2010, 03:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiganbloke

Hi, Please be patient with me, but what does Y resolution mean in the file information on an uploaded file.
Mine seem high at 300, compared to other ones I have seen around the 70 mark.
Does a low setting mean If someone right clicks the image and does a "save images as" they can only print it in a low resolution (stops them nicking your images).
If this is so, how do I set mine to 70 ish.
Thanks in anticipation.

picsfor

OK, DPI wise - if displaying on a screen - then 72 dpi is the ideal figure, if printing the image then 300 dpi is thhe preferred option.
With a DPI set to 72 the file size starts to reduce drastically meaning less time is needed to upload it and less space is needed on the server to store it.

The other point about downloading the image is - you do not want that to happen. It's your image.
If some one wants to use your image they should ask you permission first and then you could send them a copy directly for use as requested.
By setting to a low resolution it makes the image unusable for printing purposes.
x and y refer to the maximum number of pixels on the longest side, which for this site is set at 2000 pixels on the longest side.
x refers to the vertical axis and y the horizontal axis (or is it the other way round?)

So, when you save a picture to upload for viewing on this site, it should be converted to 72 dpi, have a maximum pixel size of 2000 pixels on the longest each (or all edges if its a square picture) and no more than 1mb in file size. But you can get them much smaller than that - most of mine typically are about the 100-300k mark nowadays.

As to how you achieve this result - you need to tell us what software you are using to edit your pictures with - because different software does it a different way.

wiganbloke

Thanks Andrew for the explanation.....I use CS4

picsfor

Photoshop, if i remember correctly is done in the image drop down menu.

As a tester - open an image.
Select the Image drop down menu and from the choices select image size.
You will then be presented with a window with dpi size, x and y pixel lengths etc.

Just remembered that only alters the dimensions of the image.
The final change to image size is done when you select the save as option and select jpg.
You have a slider bar that covers image quality which effects the image size.
As yuo move the slider bar left the image size gets smaller - and to the right it gets bigger.
A file size of 50% is more than adequate for most uploading to the web.

My images all start out as 21mb+ raw files that get saved down to files of only a few hundred kb and they are more than acceptable for that purpose.

Try that out for size and see how you get on. Any problems just ask

oRGie

my workflow in general goes something like this

open raw in acr (cs4 also) make adjustments - save file as .psd (300dpi - sRGB)
open psd in cs4, make adjustments - save

then if for web use
file menu - image - change to 8bit
file menu - image - image size - change dpi to 72 - change dimension to 1400 on longest side
sharpen as needed
*file menu - canvas size - add 25 - 50 pixels x & y - white background
*file menu - duplicate layer - add drop shadow in layer pallete
*file menu - canvas size - add 25 - 50 pixels x & y - white background
*file menu - layers - Flatten layers
Save as - jpeg, quality usually 8 - 10 to get around 300kb file

Voila..

The lines marked * are just to give the picture a frame...  You can record the 2 sections either side of sharpening to make them a 1 click operation ;) Although I havent got round to that, I've only bothered with an action for resizing the shots I take for work, realestate pics to 640 x 480.

:beer:

wiganbloke

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.