• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 238
  • Total: 238
  • Google
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

New 'Pooter Time.

Started by Graham, January 29, 2013, 03:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on January 30, 2013, 11:13:30 AM
  Some useful food for thought there chaps. Thanks.
  Colin, not sure what you mean by "SSD drive for booting and a second fast internal disk to use for your Photoshop scratch disk."? Is that to say that you would have a seperate drive where Photoshop would be loaded?
                Graham.  :)

SSD equals Solid State Drive a bit like a Compact Flash drive. On a PC your programs are installed on Drive "C" but most allow you to install a second harddisk which can be used as a scratch disk. When you work on a photo in Photoshop it records each action you do and saves the photo to the scratch disk. So if you do 100 actions on a photo, then Photoshop will save that photo 100 times with each version changed by that action. This allows you to have multiple undoes so you could select the fifty action and delete all those that came after it. If you save the photo as a photoshop file then it will save all the actions/photos that have changed. This allows you to go back any time to the Photoshop file and continue as if you have never saved the file. This is why scratch disks are very important to photoshop running quickly.  :tup:

Graham

Thanks for all the comments and advice folks, it's pointed me in the right direction and helped with what questions I should be asking.  :tup:
  Iv'e just orderd this. To be installed with Windows 7. 
                                       http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-8500/pd?oc=d00x8510&model_id=xps-8500

Along with this.
                                       http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=609020

I'm sure we'er going to be very happy together!  :)

Now. What do I do with my old system?  ???
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

hssutton

A point on SSDs. Up until a few weeks ago I was using an SSD as my 'C' drive. Photoshop worked reasonably well, but Lightroom was a painfully slow.
Not getting out much in this cold weather (I'm a sun  worshiper) I decided to build a new PC.

On searching the web I found many people suggesting to load all your programs on to a normal hard drive and use SSDs as scratch disks. Adobe also recommend you do this. So I built my PC using Asrocks P67 Fatal1TY Pro Motherboard, an Intel Core i5 3330 3.00GHz Socket 1155 IvyBridge CPU +16 Gb ram, W7 64bit.
All my programs are loaded onto a 500Gb sata3 hard drive and I use a 240Gb SSD as my main scratch disk with a 94Gb SSD as my secondary scratch disk.

This works exceptionally well with Photoshop CS6 super fast even when stacking as many as 10 Tiff  images for macro. Lightroom 4.3 which we all know is painfully slow, is now much, much faster and a real pleasure to work with.

Harry

Extract from Adobe site.

Solid-state disks

Installing Photoshop on a solid-state disk (SSD) allows Photoshop to launch fast, probably in less than a second. But that speedier startup is the only time savings you experience. That's the only time when much data is read from the SSD.

To gain the greatest benefit from an SSD, use it as the scratch disk. Using it as a scratch disk gives you significant performance improvements if you have images that don't fit entirely in RAM. For example, swapping tiles between RAM and an SSD is much faster than swapping between RAM and a hard disk.

SimonW

Wow Graham! That's exactly the system I've got - bought a short while before Christmas. I'm very pleased indeed with it, running Elements 9 which came with it (among other things).

I ordered an HDMI adapter which their sales advisor said I needed to connect the monitor, but when everything arrived I found that it wasn't required. My single on-line order somehow became 3 different orders with separate prices adding to a considerbly lower total than the original and the small print showing a subtle difference in the monitor description. I was convinced they had substituted a refurbished monitor so I phoned sales and they gave me a lot of flannel assuring me that they were sending a brand new one. When it arrived it certainly appeared to be brand new though I'm still not fully convinced. Perhaps a previous customer returned it still unopened. Anyway, it's still working perfectly....

I've always found Dell hardware to be very good, but their support (should you need it) is quite the opposite. Whatever you do, dont' allow them remote access to your machine - their first move seems to be to reset it to factory conditions.

Good luck.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Graham

Well Simon, I find our choosing the same system quite reassuring!  :)
   I do find Dell very easy to buy from, I never get the feeling that they are trying to "Upsell". As a package it comes with McAfee protection for twelve months as a download. This is proving to be problematic as I keep geting an "Unexpected Error" message but that is from McAfee's site, not Dells.
   If I wore a hat I would tip it to people like Harry who understand enough of this stuff to build their own! :o
               Graham.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Hinfrance

Quote from: Graham on January 31, 2013, 01:58:41 PM
   I do find Dell very easy to buy from, I never get the feeling that they are trying to "Upsell". As a package it comes with McAfee protection for twelve months as a download. This is proving to be problematic as I keep geting an "Unexpected Error" message but that is from McAfee's site, not Dells.
   If I wore a hat I would tip it to people like Harry who understand enough of this stuff to build their own! :o
               Graham.

I'm more impressed that someone who does not appear to be a tax exile can afford CS6!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

SimonW

Graham, I didn't have that problem. But I had another with the pre-installed McAfee and perhaps my experience will be of some use to you:-

I already had a three-machine McAfee package. The other machines kept saying there was a machine on the network that wasn't protected by the package, and the new machine also said something similar. McAfee's email support sorted it out very quickly: uninstall McAfee from the new machine (which you need to do using a tool downloaded from their site, not just via Windows program manager) and from the one being scrapped,  then re-install using the 3 user account. McAfee also extended the expiry date on the three user account by four months to compensate for not using the "free" one.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Graham

Quote from: SimonW on January 31, 2013, 04:27:48 PM
Graham, I didn't have that problem. But I had another with the pre-installed McAfee and perhaps my experience will be of some use to you:-

I already had a three-machine McAfee package. The other machines kept saying there was a machine on the network that wasn't protected by the package, and the new machine also said something similar. McAfee's email support sorted it out very quickly: uninstall McAfee from the new machine (which you need to do using a tool downloaded from their site, not just via Windows program manager) and from the one being scrapped,  then re-install using the 3 user account. McAfee also extended the expiry date on the three user account by four months to compensate for not using the "free" one.

Yes, I seem to remember having to do something similar when I got my laptop, so I'm not overly worried about that.  :)

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 31, 2013, 03:33:30 PM
Quote from: Graham on January 31, 2013, 01:58:41 PM
               Graham.

I'm more impressed that someone who does not appear to be a tax exile can afford CS6!

Err.....I've got CS6 but it was an upgrade from CS3.  :tup:

Hinfrance

We all know you're minted Oldboy ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

I invested in E111 for my new laptop.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

Quote from: Reinardina on February 01, 2013, 03:06:42 PM
I invested in E111 for my new laptop.

What, you mean the E111 European Health Insurance Card? I didn't know it applied to laptops as well!  :P

Reinardina

That's not called E111 anymore, but EHIC.
E111 has now been transferred to pc's and laptops, as they (especially laptops) travel regularly to the continent these days.
I'm surprised you didn't know!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.