• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 32
  • Total: 32
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Kirby Stephen

Started by Sandy, October 18, 2010, 08:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

Hi

On the 24th Iam going to stay with a friend in Kirby Stephen foe a week. We are planning on spending two days in the Lakes. Are there any suggestions of places of good views points that can be reached by car?

Sandy

skellum

I can recommend a few spots but it all depends on where you are staying and how far you want to travel in a day

Sandy

Thanks Dave. Iam staying in Kirby Stephen but my friend as said we can spend two nights in the Lakes to cut down the driving and get a couple of early morning in the actual lakes. The rest of the time will be up to an hour or two drive from Kirby.

Sandy

skellum

Ok then as a suggestion I would stay in Keswick a nice little market town which is not over run by Japanese & American tourists unlike Bowness. Below are some car routes that should enable you to see quite a lot of the Lake District.

1.  Head for Windermere and take the ( A592 ) Kirkstone Pass Road, which will take you through Troutbeck and onto Kirksone Pass Summit. After the Summit ( about 1/4 mile ) there is a car park  on the left with a great view of the valley below looking towards Brothers Water. ( see below )
carry on down this road which will take you through Patterdale & Glen Ridding where Ullswater will be on your right. ( See below ) There are plenty of car parks & laybys in this area. After a Few miles take the ( A5091 ) on the left sign posted Keswick & Cockermouth. This road will join the A66 and take you straight to Keswick.

2.  From Keswick take the ( B5289 ) which will take you alongside Derwentwater on your right and on through Borrowdale and over the Honister Pass to Buttermere & Cummock Water  ( I would turn round at this point and return to Keswick ) or you could carry on to Cockermouth and return to Keswick on the A66 taking you past Bassenthwaite Lake on your left.

3.  From Keswick take the ( A591 ) which will take you past Thirlmere and Helvelyn and onto Grasmere, Rydal Water & Ambleside from where you will travel alongside Lake Windermere on your right to Bowness & Windermere. ( attached below ) Hope this is helpfull to you and I look forward to seeing your shots.  Regards, Dave... :legit: PS the phone box below is situated in Patterdale and you can park next to it.

Graham

Wow! What a reply! :tup:
                                          Makes me want to jump in the car and head for the hills.
                                          Have a great time Sandy.
                                                             Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

irv_b

Quote from: Graham on October 19, 2010, 05:42:57 PM
  Wow! What a reply! :tup:
                                          Makes me want to jump in the car and head for the hills.
                                          Have a great time Sandy.
                                                             Graham.
Hear Hear! cant see anyone getting a better  answer than that, for any topic- top stuff there Dave and have a fantastic time Sandy!
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Sandy

Thanks very Dave thats very kind of you

Sandy

Sandy

Hi Dave

Writing this in a pub on the Yorkshire Cumbria border.

Went along your route yesterday but the weather was awful for good photos - really murky.

Got the AA Box and the box in Patterdale.

Thanks for the information, though - it was really appreciated

Sandy

skellum

Quote from: Sandy on October 28, 2010, 02:39:13 PM
Hi Dave

Writing this in a pub on the Yorkshire Cumbria border.

Went along your route yesterday but the weather was awful for good photos - really murky.

Got the AA Box and the box in Patterdale.

Thanks for the information, though - it was really appreciated

Sandy
Shame about the weather but if its still raining on your way back you could photograph the Preston Telephones.... :tup:

Sandy

Hi Dave

The weather was suitable for waterfalls etc and I had a quick look as the train passed Preston and hope to return at a later date to catch the phoneboes in the rain.

Sandy

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.