• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 115
  • Total: 115
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Digital Camera NOT running a POTY this year

Started by donoreo, May 02, 2012, 08:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donoreo

The question was asked over on their site and we were told there will be no POTY this year.  I thought it was one of the biggest POTY among the UK magazines. 

Beaux Reflets

Perhaps POTY will migrate to here  ;) :tup: No big money prize but perhaps some common sense upon what is or not good photography  :legit:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

Quote from: donoreo on May 02, 2012, 08:16:34 PM
The question was asked over on their site and we were told there will be no POTY this year.  I thought it was one of the biggest POTY among the UK magazines.

I missed that announcement. Haven't been there much lately. At least I won't be tempted to enter!
Andy, it was through POTY that I first 'met' you. And via this competition, I came to the old DCM site in 2007.

Maybe it will move here, and I will finally learn what a good photograph is. I still don't get it 'properly.'

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

ABERS

Perhaps as a marketing tool it had run its course. It was always a bone of contention about whether it was Photographer of the Year or Photograph of the Year.

One good photograph does not a photographer make. (Wm. Shakespeare 2012.)

Shame really because it provided a great deal of excitement and anticipation for many. Mind you so does the lottery! ;)

spinner

Quote from: ABERS on May 02, 2012, 10:42:27 PM
Perhaps as a marketing tool it had run its course. It was always a bone of contention about whether it was Photographer of the Year or Photograph of the Year.

Shame really because it provided a great deal of excitement and anticipation for many. Mind you so does the lottery! ;)

I had to agree with the general sentiment that it wasn't fair, in that it seemed people in exotic locations had a leg up on the natives simply because their location was exotic.

I never entered for that very reason, living in an exotic locale (south central Ontario ari ari ario) was too exotic for the judges.  :legit:
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Reinardina

Quote from: spinner on May 03, 2012, 02:27:57 AM
Quote from: ABERS on May 02, 2012, 10:42:27 PM

I had to agree with the general sentiment that it wasn't fair, in that it seemed people in exotic locations had a leg up on the natives simply because their location was exotic.

I never entered for that very reason, living in an exotic locale (south central Ontario ari ari ario) was too exotic for the judges.  :legit:

After entering a few times, I should have known better. It was indeed very apparent that the more colourful and exotic the location, the better the chance of being selected.

My photographs are almost all shot locally, and though I know, I'm far from being a good photographer, I do get lucky sometimes and end up with a shot that wins praise from people who know about photography. Never made it to the photo of the day though, let alone the shortlist of the POTY competition.

If it was still going, and free to enter, I would enter again though. Always the optimist, and always convinced I have learnt a lot over the last year, and would definitely be in with a chance! Poor deluded me.

ABERS

I don't enter competitions any more. I'd much rather offer a print or two for possible selection in an exhibition. At least I know the selectors have a degree of photographic nous and are somebody that have a track record in photography, whereas with the magazine type competition you are initially in the hands of people whose expertise is a bit iffy, and can be dazzled by palm trees in a sunset and be-grizzled old ladies smoking a pipe! ::)

eysha

Hello ABERS AND Mick.

I think to enter the POTY comp you have to know loads about PP - which i don't.
They, the mags that i have read, which isn't many as they are mostly adverts,  don't seem interested in a straight out of the camera shot, they want tons of PPing.

I often wonder what people's photos would really look like without all that PPing.

Is there such a comp? I might stand a chance at it as my PP knowledge is level with my photographic knowledge - very little, lol.
Please visit my site at
www.ThekavanaghCollection.co.uk

Reinardina

Quote from: eysha on May 14, 2012, 02:02:34 PM
Hello ABERS AND Mick.

They, the mags that i have read, which isn't many as they are mostly adverts,  don't seem interested in a straight out of the camera shot, they want tons of PPing.

I often wonder what people's photos would really look like without all that PPing.

Is there such a comp? I might stand a chance at it as my PP knowledge is level with my photographic knowledge - very little, lol.

I don't think we want to go there Eysha.

Have a look at the link below, and read it from start to finish. It will tell you all you need to know about sooc (straight out of camera) photographs.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5242

ABERS

Quote from: eysha on May 14, 2012, 02:02:34 PM
Hello ABERS AND Mick.

Hello Eysha,

To enter any competition, with a chance to win, you have to know a lot about photography and PPing is a part of photography. The point I was trying to make about magazine competitions is that the magazine staff's photographic competence is sometimes a little questionable.

When I read anyone who instructs, teaches, advises or holds forth a view on photography I'm always interested to see where he or she comes from photographically and I'm of the opinion that very few of the mainstream magazines are blessed with photographers of merit or pedigree.

True when you read the CV's of magazine staff ( the flannel panel) there is usually a list of past employment in the 'professional' world and I'm inclined to think if that is so, why are they writing about it not practising it? Here I'm talking about the magazine's staff not those outside contributors who freelance.

Anyway all those old timers here on CC will tell you cynicism is my middle name. :)

When Gary Player the golfer was accused of being lucky, he replied, "The more I practise the luckier I get".

eysha

Thanks R, by the way did you find out about a magnifying eye piece? I could do with one of those too so if you know anything i would love to hear about it. Thanks R.

Thanks ABERS, i know what you are saying so i need to practise a lot and get lucky one day, lol.
Please visit my site at
www.ThekavanaghCollection.co.uk

Graham

I think it was that Ansel Adams bloke that said (when likening photography to music.) that "The negative is the score and the print is the performance."
  Thats how I like to think about PP.
              Graham. :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

donoreo

Quote from: Graham on May 14, 2012, 08:28:09 PM
  I think it was that Ansel Adams bloke that said (when likening photography to music.) that "The negative is the score and the print is the performance."
  Thats how I like to think about PP.
              Graham. :)
That is a good way of putting it.   I have seen on several occasions the question asked "Would Ansel Adams use Photoshop?"  The answer is always "Damn right he would" or some other enthusiastic similar response. 

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.