• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 95
  • Total: 96
  • Mick
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Weekly or Monthly Challenge? POLL and comments

Started by Hinfrance, February 04, 2009, 12:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekly or Monthly Challenge?

Weekly
16 (84.2%)
Monthly
3 (15.8%)
Fortnightly
0 (0%)
Not keen on the whole idea
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: February 18, 2009, 12:29:44 PM

Hinfrance

. .with votes and winners and everything.

Taking forward the banter that has been variously going on over at the DCM weekend comp chat and the temporary weekend comp home.

I'm thinking along the lines of the rules being similar to the weekend comp ones, only applied over a longer timescale - I think this has already been suggested.

I'm adding a poll so that preference can be expressed - when/if we decide how to go ahead, we can cobble the details together then.

Please add any and all comments as you see fit.

Ta,

Howard
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

hevans

I think monthly and fortnightly are too long. In the end, everyone waits until the last minute anyway. Weekend clashes with the DCM one, so I'm putting my vote down for weekly.

irv_b

I prefer to have it monthly. I just think that it would give people a bit more time to get the pic right, they could try out several ideas of the same subject and if someone else has done their idea already, its not such a rush to get something else together.
Also it wouldn't clash with the pic of the week or even end up with the same subject on both sites but I'm happy enough to go with the flow
Irv
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

skellum

I voted for weekly. The image of the week could be displayed Saturday & Sunday and the winning competition image could be displayed Monday to Friday :legit:

Mick

Some great ideas being thrown about.  ;)  I'll go with the flow, and hopefully the forum software will do what you require.

By the way I've added a new "Competition Ideas"  :idea: forum, which this discussion has now been moved into.  ;) 
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

jimthetrain

I've voted for the weekly option because sometimes you just can't get out at weekends  :beer: and the extra few days gives you a better chance of finding something you're vaguely happy with.
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

irv_b

Can I ask why is the poll up for so long do we think that there will many more people voting?
Irv
My Gallery

hevans

Dunno why Tringle picked two weeks for the poll. It's a bit of a runaway story right now.

One thing with a comp. that lasts 1 week, how do we organise the voting/selection process. Usually at DCM we've got 2.5 days to get the photos taken and entered, 3 days for voting and then another couple of days to get the new topic posted.

If it's weekly, i.e. take the photo between (say) Friday and Friday, then there isn't any time to get the voting in or for the new topic to be posted. One solution to this is to run two comps simultaneously, with one voting while the other is open for entries. So the whole process takes 2 weeks for a single competition, but as there are two, there's a new one every week.

Just a thought.

irv_b

Quote from: hevans on February 05, 2009, 08:55:12 PM
Dunno why Tringle picked two weeks for the poll. It's a bit of a runaway story right now.

One thing with a comp. that lasts 1 week, how do we organise the voting/selection process. Usually at DCM we've got 2.5 days to get the photos taken and entered, 3 days for voting and then another couple of days to get the new topic posted.

If it's weekly, i.e. take the photo between (say) Friday and Friday, then there isn't any time to get the voting in or for the new topic to be posted. One solution to this is to run two comps simultaneously, with one voting while the other is open for entries. So the whole process takes 2 weeks for a single competition, but as there are two, there's a new one every week.

Just a thought.

I think you are right in both counts Hugh I would say you could stop the voting now it pretty conclusive and to run the comp simultaneously would be best option
My Gallery

Sarasocke

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

oRGie

agreed here too, might as well call the poll results, and what hugh sais makes sense as usual, not so much 2 comps, just that the first week, Skellum :) will have to choose 2 topics, post the first one, then a week later post the second, from then on its just winner picks and on we go :)

Hinfrance

Quote from: oRGie on February 06, 2009, 02:27:18 AM
agreed here too, might as well call the poll results, and what Hugh says makes sense as usual, not so much 2 comps, just that the first week, Skellum :) will have to choose 2 topics, post the first one, then a week later post the second, from then on its just winner picks and on we go :)

I agree that vote is very firmly for a weekly competition, so I'll close the poll now. I also think that Hugh's suggestion is eminently sensible and workable.

So that just leaves the other rules - Hugh is definitely the rule expert . . .

Time for Skellum to get his thinking cap on.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

hevans

The final item to decide is which day marks the start/end of each competition.

I recommend a wednesday or a friday as the deadline, as it's nicely out of sync with the weekend competition, etc. Monday would coincide with the other comps.

H.

Sarasocke

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

skellum

I would suggest we start next week same rules as DCM ect ( pictures to be taken between monday & friday ) vote saturday & sunday then display winning image all the next week untill friday. I also think we should run the poll for 48 hours from 7.00 pm friday to 7.00 pm sunday which will allow the winner to set the subject for the next week.
This would allow the image of the week to be diplayed saturday & sunday while we vote. Let me know what you all think :legit:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.