• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 64
  • Total: 64
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

The weekly poll - Photo Competitions

Started by greypoint, October 09, 2009, 08:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would make you enter a photo contest?

A cash prize
2 (11.1%)
It would give me an incentive to take better photos
7 (38.9%)
Top judges - and the chance for them to see my work
0 (0%)
A chance for my work to be seen by a wider audience
1 (5.6%)
I'll enter anything -I love a competition
1 (5.6%)
I'd only ever enter fun contests
4 (22.2%)
I'd only enter if all the proceeds went to charity
2 (11.1%)
I never enter
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

greypoint

So the annual controversy that is the DCM photograph of the year [or of the past 5 years if you've got something hidden on your hard drive that might do] has closed for another year and we wait with bated breath to see if this years winner has universal approval :o
Do you enter photo competitions? What, when, why, where?

hevans

Only competitions I've entered were the DCM weekend one, and the CC one. The only reason for me to enter is to force myself out to take some photos and/or to get out of the comfort zone and try something new.

H.

jinky

DCM weekend  one got me into doing the odd one like this and flickr based DCM now but less frequently than I used to. Entered a france magazine comp and got a third place and a recent third in a Warehouse Express monthly theme comp. Usually do them when I have lost my mojo and needa theme to get me thinking differently - and fail abysmally! :D

Hinfrance

Quote from: jinky on October 09, 2009, 08:56:39 AM
DCM weekend  one got me into doing the odd one like this and flickr based DCM now but less frequently than I used to. Entered a france magazine comp and got a third place and a recent third in a Warehouse Express monthly theme comp. Usually do them when I have lost my mojo and needa theme to get me thinking differently - and fail abysmally! :D

I hadn't realised we had such a star in our midst. Well done on the placings jinky.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

greypoint

I was trying to think if another poll question to stimulate a bit of forum activity but are there no more observations on competitions? Do you simply not regard photography as a competitive occupation? ::)

Simple

The only competition I have with Photography, is from myself. Other peoples photography is seen as something to admire or to try to understand (as a challenge).
I personnally think that to have a competition about beauty, taste etc. is pointless. I think I would be quicker inclined to submit pictures if the competition bit was replaced with
for example a fortnightly or monthly subject gallerie. It removes all the hassle of keeping track of possible commitments, voting etcetera. It still gives people the opportunity to go out and shoot pictures
according to a prescriptive brief.

ABERS

Competitions certainly activate the old grey matter especially where the brief is tight and sometimes restrictive. I well remember being set such a theme. Take a picture that illustrates "Gray's Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard" without the inclusion of a gravestone or a herd of cows!. One thing that it did it made me read it more closely and appreciate it.

I find I haven't got the time or the inclination these days to go out or set up an image  between certain dates to find a picture to satisfy the requirements of the competition. I know a lot of people enjoy this and it does impose a certain amount of discipline on your photography. If there is no such restriction I can usually find an image somewhere that will fit the bill. Lazy sod I know. :-[

I've given up those that depend on some kind of prejudging, like DCM POTY, because you bet a pound to a pinch of salt they are sorted by those members of the staff, some of whom haven't got a modicum of photographic nous, and before I'm jumped on from a great height, you only have to see their choices for POTD and the comments they make and the reasons for their choice, and a quick shufty at their galleries. I also have the distinct feeling that there is some 'marketing angle' to their choice. ::)

I go for exhibitions these days, at least they are judged by established judges of merit, but even then they get it wrong, especially in my case! :legit:

Oldboy

Quote from: ABERS on October 24, 2009, 04:39:42 PM
Take a picture that illustrates "Gray's Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard" without the inclusion of a gravestone or a herd of cows!. One thing that it did it made me read it more closely and appreciate it.

Love this poem and always enjoyed reading it.  :tup:

picsfor

I ticked the box 'to improve my photography'.

I'm not up there with others and accept my limits.
But i do enjoy trying to improve my photographic skills and expand beyond my horizons.
But in fairness - i find going on the 'meets' achieves pretty much the same thing.
Attend a location with 4 or 5 other togs and see what pictures come out of the event.
It has always been a real eye opener to see how much i have 'missed' or could have improved upon the shots i took.

I suspect that for the 'pros' competitions can be a bit of a distraction - given that they are having their work judged daily if not weekly by the fee paying judges. If they do not 'win their recommendations' to new prospective clients - they have far more to lose than a touch of pride and a chance to moan about the panel of judges. 

anglefire

I tend not to take pictures for anyone else but me - I often post them because I also do like to read other comments as sometimes you see something in a shot that no one else does and vica versa. The former usually because it relates to something else that no one else could hope to know!

I've entered the odd competition on  here and on DPG - but I generally don't do very well  :'(
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

oRGie

lol, me neither Mark :)

I got into the weekend comp at dcm at the start, it was a good way to think and learn about different styles and techniques. I still enjoy the comp here, but time is short at the moment  :beer:

spinner

The only competitions I entered without complaint were Martial Arts ones. I didn't mind the physical pain cuz its transitory, (well accept for the time I punched my knuckles out of my skin, my arthritis reminds me of that one) and occasionally I actually one. I don't like the mental pain that comes with 'objective' competitions, that seems to last a lot longer.  :(
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.