• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 145
  • Total: 145
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Wedding photography- light

Started by Jediboy, June 15, 2017, 10:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediboy

Hi,
I attended a wedding recently and was interested to see the way the photographer lit the low light shots - first dance etc...

She was pointing what I would describe as a large torch at people when photographing them.
Has anyone else seen or experienced this? I certainly looked easy.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

jinky

I`ve used an LED light box at times in the past as well as my torch on my mobile phone. Whatever works at the time.

Simple

For me it depends on the speed of the dance and the amount of ambient light. For the first dance I tend to use slow shutter speeds to get the ambient light have an impact and rely on the flash speed to freeze the dancers. If the ambient light is low and distance to the dancing couple is restricted ie. they are too far away, I use an LED video light to help out a bit.  Sometimes the ambient light is too high, I am not quickly pleased,  shooting in that case without a flash and illuminating the couple with an LED video light combined with an increased ISO would do the trick. I use a Yongnuo YN-300 air pro led light. About £50 with some batteries. Never regretted it and comes in handy in my studio as well.

anglefire

I took a few snaps at a friends wedding last year - They had a proper pro tog as well, but asked if  I would do some particularly at the do - turned out the pro stayed a lot longer than they expected but just meant they got more pictures!

Anyway, I didn't use flash, I just used fast glass (70-200 f2.8, 135 f2. 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8) and upped the ISO - anything upto ISO10000  and probably beyond. Little bit of NR in Lightroom and they look good.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jediboy

Quote from: jinky on June 15, 2017, 10:16:13 PM
I`ve used an LED light box at times in the past as well as my torch on my mobile phone. Whatever works at the time.

Thanks jinky. I have one problem of these so may give it a try.

Chris

Jediboy

Thanks for replies. I've only ever shot weddings as a favour for friends and relied on my speed light. This is great as it's opened my eyes. Although I should really have thought about this.

Chris

jinky

My best buy I made that I used at weddings (though not in circumstances described where wanting to keep more ambient) was a Gary Fong type domed diffuser from 7 Day shop that I picked up for £7. Used it on camera for my photobooth stuff and as I moved around getting guest shots.

anglefire

You can always use the light of the mobile screen.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.