• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 35
  • Total: 35
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Windows 7

Started by Trickee, October 25, 2009, 04:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trickee

anyone got it? what are your first impressions :)?

skellum

Quote from: Trickee on October 25, 2009, 04:05:49 PM
anyone got it? what are your first impressions :)?

Got an e.mail from Sony Vario saying I could now order it for my new laptop but there will be a charge for distribution / postage ( I dont know how much yet ) I will enquire later....... :legit:

Mick

Dave, it should be about £12 the last time I checked.  Also it will be a full clean install version and not the upgrade, so you'll have to format to install.  Or that's how I read it.  ;)

I haven't ordered my free windows 7 yet.  :-[
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

picsfor

Toshiba offered me Windows 7 for £29 all in.

The way i read it was that they would be supplying me with the 'Toshiba' version...

I would rather have the clean install and build from scratch so i can understand what to tell others who may ask.
I haven't received anything yet but then there has been a postal strike!
It's hard for me to get excited this time round as i'm now a Mac convert. I'm only doing it because i help some people with there computing issues.

happypaddler

You mean no body has held a Windows 7 Party HERE?  :legit:

spinner

I've been playing with the Beta for about a year. Similar issues to Vista, finding software that would install properly. Some stuff just refuses outright to recognize there is a Windows 7.  :'(

The final RC is supposed to be good until July 2010 so I'm going to wait until more software compatibility issues have been resolved.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

pocketwitch

I'm waiting for the Acer version to arrive, apparently they are "snowed" under with requests and are running 3 weeks behind!  I have a feeling that it's just not going to be as simple as upgrading the Mac was, why do I put myself through these things lol!  :doh:
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

Carol aka Pocketwitch

anglefire

I "upgraded" my fathers computer last weekend from Xp - was a bit of a nightmare actually!

The advisor said there were no issues.

But a boot from DVD wouldn't work becuase it couldn't find a driver for one of the CD drives. Period. No ignore.

So had to do it from within windows - and it did install but now one of the CD drives doesn't work.

The printer worked once I'd got a new driver, so that wasn't a major problem.

It now says the documents drive is about to fail - which is possible, as I can't read at least one file off the drive. Its all backed up so that is not a major problem apart from it needs a new one.

The video card doesn't have a better driver than the standard VGA one apparently - so some things are somewhat slooooowwwww. Like the Windows Card games!

IE 8 is giving grief - it won't load some stuff - like my mothers census files off the net - that was fixed by downloading firefox and it said that it needed a Adobe plugin- got that and that sorted it out.

Before downloading firefox though, I tried Safari - it wouldn't download at all! Said thanks for doing so!

So I think that they are going to use firefox!

Not impressed!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

stevebedder

I installed Win 7 on my laptop and workstation this week and both went without a hitch and am really loving the new OS now!

If I had to gripe about anything, the only thing (so far) I would gripe about is the number of automatic updates that are required. Its not a big thing as I had it set to download and install automatically so it just ran in the background.

Th UI is so much better than Vista, much more logical and usable.

I did a fresh install on both machines and I don't think it took longer than 15 minutes each from inserting the DVD to logging in for the first time. It's taken a bit longer to get all the other apps installed and configured though. Was suprised that the only driver I cannot find a working version of is the one for my in-built Teac CA200 13-in-1 media card reader. The drives still work, it just doesn't show the drive icons in My Coputer (although they are listed in Disk Management).

My graphics card, all-in-one printer, sound, Wacom tablet etc all worked first time.

The OS is pretty fast too, certainly faster that Vista in my experience.

Must say that so far I am mightly impressed with Windows 7 thus far.

Steve

picsfor

i'm told that i should not expect mine before 23rd November.

I'm heartbroken!

Tripod

Was suprised that the only driver I cannot find a working version of is the one for my in-built Teac CA200 13-in-1 media card reader. The drives still work, it just doesn't show the drive icons in My Coputer (although they are listed in Disk Management).

Steve. The card driver must have loaded OK. Windows 7 does not show drive icons unless a card is inserted. Makes sense really as you may know it could become a head scratcher looking for the card slot you were using in Vista.
Documented somewhere.........

John

Tripod

Put Windows 7 on desktop and laptop and my THUMBS are up. Not an easy install for me. Followed all the advices, but ended up doing fresh installs on both machines. Made all backups first of course...... I've a further laptop which I'm leaving alone with XP on it.

spinner

Local big box business store is offering what they call the family pack. Licenced for installation on 3 PC's. So before purchasing one I decided to down load the Win7 advisor program, to find any issues. I've downloaded the "english" version twice and both times it tried to install in what is either Hebrew or gibberish.
Ol' blue eyes

stevebedder

Quote from: Tripod on November 08, 2009, 10:01:54 AM
Steve. The card driver must have loaded OK. Windows 7 does not show drive icons unless a card is inserted. Makes sense really as you may know it could become a head scratcher looking for the card slot you were using in Vista.

Thanks John just tried this out now and it does exactly as you say  :tup

Steve

Edit - Just found this bit of info too...

Display your drives
Click Computer in Windows 7 and you might see a strange lack of drives, but don't panic, it's just Microsoft trying to be helpful: drives like memory card readers are no longer displayed if they're empty. We think it's an improvement, but if you disagree then it's easy to get your empty drives back. Launch Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View and clear 'Hide empty drives in the computer folder'.

spinner

Bought the family pac version. Annoyed to find out I can't upgrade a 32 bit version to 64 bit. >:( Don't know how long it took to install as I went out to dinner and left it to do it's business. Not surprised to find all of my settings in place as promised...except of course Firefox and Thunderbird. Cheek.  ::)
Ol' blue eyes

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.