• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 35
  • Total: 35
  • Google
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

CHAT- AUTUMN LEAVES- Weekly Comp 19-26/11/2017

Started by Hinfrance, November 19, 2017, 10:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

This is the CHAT thread

The ENTRIES thread is HERE

This week's challenge is AUTUMN LEAVES. Working on the basis that for most if not all of the regular participants there will be an abundance of brightly coloured trees or fallen leaves about the place around now.

No restrictions  on editing. Pictures to be taken preferably between now and Sunday 26th November 2017 23:59, OR  please enter something from your personal archives.

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23:59pm Monday 27th November 2017

Poll will be up Tuesday 28th November 2017 .

Winner to be announced Saturday 2nd December 2017

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to

Post a topic on the Sunday (or sooner) following your declared win

Create an entries thread

Create a chat thread

Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday

(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Each year I look forward to the 'red flames' of the Autumnal Staghorn Sumac tree as the Winter draws near; and glad I got a shot in just in time, as a windy night has now stripped the tree bare.

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

SimonW

The trees in this neck of the woods are all bare, and the leaves just a soggy wet grey mush on the ground.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Oldboy

Quote from: SimonW on November 21, 2017, 08:30:48 AM
The trees in this neck of the woods are all bare, and the leaves just a soggy wet grey mush on the ground.

Oak trees should still have leaves and check local hedges.  :tup:

Hinfrance

Quote from: SimonW on November 21, 2017, 08:30:48 AM

Sorry to hear that Simon - I'm guessing then that you didn't take any pictures of them when they were still pretty? Our oaks are just starting to turn.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Hinfrance

Chatting to my daughter on the school run yesterday evening and she said if the leaves have all gone take a picture of bare trees and call it 'autumn left' or an evergreen because they always have leaves.  ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Hinfrance

So my FZ300 arrived yesterday and I went out and took a few trial shots - and here is one:

It's definitely the best bridge camera I have ever owned, and I'm only half way through the 'easy' manual. I haven't looked at the you'll need a phd to work this manual.

The lens is excellent and f2.8 at 600mm - oh yes. 30 frames per second at 8mp - and the lower pixel density of the sensor, it's 12.3mp, means that even though the sensor is relatively tiny it captures images much better than similar cameras very high mp counts. Overall very happy with my Black Friday purchase.

Oh, and DXO has the relevant modules too.  ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 26, 2017, 10:38:42 AM
So my FZ300 arrived yesterday and I went out and took a few trial shots - and here is one:

It's definitely the best bridge camera I have ever owned, and I'm only half way through the 'easy' manual. I haven't looked at the you'll need a phd to work this manual.

The lens is excellent and f2.8 at 600mm - oh yes. 30 frames per second at 8mp - and the lower pixel density of the sensor, it's 12.3mp, means that even though the sensor is relatively tiny it captures images much better than similar cameras very high mp counts. Overall very happy with my Black Friday purchase.

Oh, and DXO has the relevant modules too.  ;)

I miss the ease in flexibility a Bridge provides (since my Fuji fd packed in a couple of years ago) and the f2.8 all the way to 600mm makes the FZ300 look very attractive. Is it sharp & high in minute detail at full zoom ?

Hinfrance

It's not going to challenge a DSLR on that score. But then the whole thing is priced at less than a 20th of an equivalent lens for a DSLR. I shall do some tests at various f stops and see what the results look like. I'll post some cropped images in due course. Got some shots of deer in the garden this afternoon - not brilliant as they were taken through the closed and none too clean window and they don't keep still, but they are better than anything I've ever managed to get with the DSLR and the budget Tamron 70-300mm - that doesn't get sharp until f8.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 26, 2017, 02:27:17 PM
It's not going to challenge a DSLR on that score. But then the whole thing is priced at less than a 20th of an equivalent lens for a DSLR. I shall do some tests at various f stops and see what the results look like. I'll post some cropped images in due course. Got some shots of deer in the garden this afternoon - not brilliant as they were taken through the closed and none too clean window and they don't keep still, but they are better than anything I've ever managed to get with the DSLR and the budget Tamron 70-300mm - that doesn't get sharp until f8.

Sounds promising Howard, looking forward to viewing some shots - (particular re any colour fringing which often lets the bridges down) 

The 'Haze Removal' in Affinity may assist quick fix with the shots through closed windows  :tup:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.