• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 193
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 109
  • Total: 109
  • Google
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

i'm somewhat puzzled! ?

Started by ABERS, October 13, 2012, 10:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

I visited Tate Britain last Tuesday and took a few shots in and around the galleries. Whilst sorting through the 40 or so images deleting the dross, I came across this one, a vain attempt at something 'arty''

It's the juxtaposition of two so called 'art' installations. One a concave mirror, which I presume allows the viewer to make up his/her own distorted view of the world and the other a sign with the copy somewhat strangely edited.

I was just about to consign the image to the bin, when I noticed something a little puzzling.

The sign is reflected in the mirror, but the letters are the correct way round ???

No fiddling or pp'ing I can assure you. How does this happen? :-\

Paul Montgomery

Blimey - that's got me stumped - have to confess I haven't the foggiest. If its a concave mirror shouldn't the reflection be upside down too  (look at yourself in a spoon...)
As an 'art installation', is it possible there was another, inverted version of the text somewhere else in the room that you hadn't noticed before?

Hinfrance

Could it be a double reflection? It doesn't look like the far piece of text would be visible in the mirror from the angle at which you are taking the shot. But I could be hopelessly wrong, I often am.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

I've retrieved from the yet unemptied recyled bin.

This time it has a couple of people included, but it still seems to have happened, and the are up the right way as well. I'll have to go back or pay a visit to the Science Museum!

No other signs in the gallery. It was taken at a very acute angle so as not to get my ugly mug in shot. Perhaps there is an angle where the non-upside down mirror writing effect comes into play?

Have I accidently turned the laws of physics on its head? ??? :idea:

Beaux Reflets

My my, looking at the two shots I'm inclined to guess that the writing is being projected onto or through the mirror taking advantage of the large empty areas of wall to allow the combining of two images (Is the concaved glass a one way mirror?) - Certainly a great effect to make one think!
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

OK, I have staying with me smart *rse science type chap who reckons that the only viable explanation is that the concave mirror is not a mirror at all - it's a screen onto which a real time image is projected.

Either that or it's magic. Which is the more likely explanation ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on October 13, 2012, 07:03:50 PM

Either that or it's magic. Which is the more likely explanation ;)

Magic.  :D

Beaux Reflets

A screen and a mirror in one; or Alan is working a good joke on us all  :legit:

ABERS

I can assure you this is a concave solid mirror, totally opaque with no projection devices trained on to it.

All I have done is taken a photograph, no funny business and no mucking about. If I could post the raw image I would.

Here's another shot taken from head on, last year on a visit to give you an idea of scale and positioning.

Beaux Reflets

Is the mirror glass thick enough to "project the view seen through its polished edge"  :idea: similar to distorted projections in beveled mirrors but more apparent with a parabolic rear surface ?  Hence the elongations in display ;D - Off to bed to think about this in more depth but the mirror must be a lens within in its self  ;D

Hinfrance

Where's Hugh Evans when you need him?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

ABERS

Googling about I found this

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070506192212AAg1dBS

And this
Concave or converging mirrors curve inward like a spoon (the side that holds soup). This gives these mirrors the ability to create an image when their curvature bounces light to a specific area in front of them. This area is called the focal point. From far away, objects will seem upside down, but as you get closer and pass the focal point, the image flips and magnifies.

Answer found since I was as close as possible to the edge of the mirror.

Does it explain why the writing also appears the correct way? :doh:

It's as I suspected all along it' something to do with soup! :legit:

Graham

Quote from: ABERS on October 14, 2012, 08:09:36 AM
Googling about I found this

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070506192212AAg1dBS

And this
Concave or converging mirrors curve inward like a spoon (the side that holds soup). This gives these mirrors the ability to create an image when their curvature bounces light to a specific area in front of them. This area is called the focal point. From far away, objects will seem upside down, but as you get closer and pass the focal point, the image flips and magnifies.

Answer found since I was as close as possible to the edge of the mirror.

Does it explain why the writing also appears the correct way? :doh:

It's as I suspected all along it' something to do with soup! :legit:

I was about to post something along those lines (Honest!) All my optical theory books are in the loft at the moment ...but I'm sure it'll be because it is effectivly a "Negative" power reflector.
  The laws of reflection are very closeley related to the laws of refraction. If you take a negative power lens of sufficient strength, About -4.00 diopters and view an object with the lens a sufficient distance from your eye, about arms length, the image will invert, this is because the lens /eye distance is greater than the focal length of the lens, this causes the light rays to cross over at the point of focus and invert the image.
  Alan, I'm sure you remember setting fire to things by focusing the sun's rays with a magnifying glass! You can do this because a positive power lens (a magnifyer) causes the light rays from the subject (the sun) to converge to a point focus on the opposite side of the lens. With a negative power lens the point of focus is on the same side as the subject.

Anyway, what I rekon is happening with your mirror is that the inverted "Mirror Image" is being fliped back to "Normal" by the negative power characteristics of the concave surface.

I was trying not to responde to this thread as I knew it would make my brain hurt!
                      Graham. >:(
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

irv_b

Graham you took the words right out of my mouth! ;D :legit:
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

ABERS

Graham

I forgot you were into optics, both kinds, and your explanation confirms what Irv was about to say!

So it's nothing to do with soup then? :(

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.