• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 48
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 50
  • Total: 50
millets
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

M42 Lenses

Started by Matthew, July 26, 2014, 06:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

I am wanting to get a dedicated super telephoto lens for my Canon, but getting £8k together for a Canon 500mm might take a while....a very long while, in fact impossible. I heard that old M42 lenses can be used on modern Dslrs, or be it with an adapter, It think the one for mine is a T-ring. Anyhoo, I decided to look into this and on a well known auction site you can pick up M42 telephotos for £80-£120.
I spied a used 500mm for £100. The seller said there was very slight internal dust, but it doesn't show up in the shots. I know these lenses are heavy, metal, have no image stabilisation and all manual but seeing as I use full manual on my Tamron which has no IS it isn't an issue for me.
I also like the idea of using old lenses for photography, kinda "nostalgic romance" about it  :idea:.
Has any one ever used M42 lenses or has any input about using old lenses with modern technology?
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

bones615

I have tried them for macro. Bought a set of bellows, 50mm lens and an adaptor. I use manual settings for all my macro and had similar thoughts about it not being much different and expected the gear to be cheaper but the "good" m42 lenses still have quite a price to them.
The results were no better than my tamron macro lens (slightly worse in fact when stopped down), with tubes & a reversed 50mm I got as much reach and obvously too cumbersome to go chasing insects.
Upshot is the bellows are in the gear graveyard under the bed, the 50mm m42 is now used reversed & wide open on the end of the tamron 90 and i bought a focus rail as i found the control of the bellows rail useful, for me it was fun to experiment for little while but i am not converted.

Matthew

That's an interesting insight, thanks  :tup:. My dream lens would be the Canon 500mm USM (fixed focal) but it comes in at 8 grand  :legit:

I want a 500mm as my Tamron at 300mm just doesn't get me in as close as I would like, it's either that or get the SAS to train me in camouflage and stalking technique... :2funny:
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Alfonso_Frisk

I have a couple of M42 fit lenses which get very little use.
One is a Mamiya/sekor 400mm and very clean and tidy but has no case/bag
I may be tempted to sell it on.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

bones615

Quote from: Matthew on July 26, 2014, 10:06:43 PM
That's an interesting insight, thanks  :tup:. My dream lens would be the Canon 500mm USM (fixed focal) but it comes in at 8 grand  :legit:

I want a 500mm as my Tamron at 300mm just doesn't get me in as close as I would like, it's either that or get the SAS to train me in camouflage and stalking technique... :2funny:

Have you looked at the sigma lenses, i have a 50-500mm and it suits my needs and budget, until i win the lottery there will be nothing white in my kit!

StephenBatey

I've never used any m42 lenses. I am currently using my old OM lenses on a Sony a7r (they date back to 1974 when I got an OM1) and I'm pleased and satisfied with the results. My main camera is a 5x4, and until recently the only lens I used was a 1950 vintage Schneider Symmar. It can be prone to flare if I'm not careful, but apart from that I have no problems with it.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Matthew

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on July 26, 2014, 10:16:43 PM

What sort of price would you look for it?

Matthew

Quote from: bones615 on July 26, 2014, 10:30:58 PM
Quote from: Matthew on July 26, 2014, 10:06:43 PM

Have you looked at the sigma lenses, i have a 50-500mm and it suits my needs and budget, until i win the lottery there will be nothing white in my kit!

I have and you are right, anything white needs a lottery win  ;) I dunno though, I have seen the Sigma range but I have this wee project forming of using old glass on modern gear to capture shots of wildlife.

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: Matthew on July 26, 2014, 11:11:53 PM
Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on July 26, 2014, 10:16:43 PM

What sort of price would you look for it?
You have a PM matey
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Oldboy

Look at the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens, which can be brought for £662.45p from Amazon brand new. It does need good light to get the best from it.  :tup:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.