• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 42
  • Total: 42
millets
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

How Honest Should I Be?

Started by DigiDiva, April 29, 2014, 08:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiDiva

I belong to several other forums and in one of them, there's someone who continually posts images in the gallery that are really awful, as he cannot post process (and Im sure you all think that of some of my images too at times!!!). People make lovely comments about them to him, but Im sure they are just being kind. But are they really being kind? Should they not be more honest in a helpful way, advising how they can be improved or what hasn't quite worked? Im fairly new to the forum and never critique his images, as Im worried I will offend him and others who all seem to like him as a person.

What would you do? Shall I bite the bullet and give him helpful critique or continue to refrain from commenting? If it were my images, I would prefer some honest critique but they just tip toe round this guy, seeming to walk on egg shells.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Oldboy

I believe you should be honest but should find something to praise within the image, and start with that before pointing out the faults with humour.  ;D

Reinardina

It could be, he is seriously trying to break the rules, and give new meaning to photography.  Maybe just waiting to be discovered by some national gallery.

Is it a forum where people critique at all? Or is it just a back slapping sort of thing?

You could always send a carefully worded personal message, or say something like: I like the composition/colours/subject, you really captured something different (or whatever).  If this was my shot, I'd probably up the contrast/saturation a little, or whatever else you think he should start with. Just drip feed, and not on every image he posts. See if there is any reaction from him or his friends.

Good luck.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

kerbside

Critique, ahhhhhh now that's a question as to whether or not offer this to a picture.

I do not like offering my view on someone else's picture as I feel that I am not qualified enough to do so.

My problem is I cannot beat around the bush, if something is crap I would say so, hence I never or very rarely say anything about another picture.

I must admit I bite my lip sometimes in the competitions, not only on here when you see something that is blatantly not correct but is getting the votes because it is a cutie picture or is a loose tongue in cheek representation of the brief. It is not that I think it is any better that mine but it just annoys, hence I just keep quiet about it.

As my tag line says, " you have to be in it to win! but winning is not everything it is participating that counts"

My view on this, over and out  :legit:

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

ABERS

Firstly you have to be qualified to pass comment. 'Let him without sin cast the first stone' :-[

People get quite huffy if you point out something within their image Simple things like a wonky horizon or a distracting highlight..

Keep clear.

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on April 29, 2014, 09:10:11 AM
Firstly you have to be qualified to pass comment. 'Let him without sin cast the first stone' :-[

People get quite huffy if you point out something within their image Simple things like a wonky horizon or a distracting highlight..

Keep clear.

Wise as ever.

Oldboy

Quote from: kerbside on April 29, 2014, 09:01:38 AM

I do not like offering my view on someone else's picture as I feel that I am not qualified enough to do so.

You don't need to be qualified to say what you like or don't like. Whether it's a old master painting or a photo by a member your opinion is just as valid. Remember, we all see thing differently and what you might see may be more correct than what I might see.  :tup:

If you want to criticise one of my photos then go ahead but don't forget I have a big... :knuppel2:

kerbside

As I said ABERS you have to be qualified in my view to offer critique, what qualifies you is another matter.

Quote from: kerbside on April 29, 2014, 09:01:38 AM
Critique, ahhhhhh now that's a question as to whether or not offer this to a picture
I do not like offering my view on someone else's picture as I feel that I am not qualified enough to do so..

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

spikeyjen

after the last 'critique' discussion I am really reluctant to put my opinion in .
If it were me I would prefer honesty and constructive criticism, but then he/ she is not me.

As for being qualified, I believe that as photographers we are all qualified to make comment and support others. I don't need a masters degree to do that.

DigiDiva

I really don't want to say too much in case anyone recognises the individual I am referring to (theres a couple of people on this forum that use the other one). What he does is takes various images of someone (the same 'model' each time) in various portrait poses. The images themselves are probably very nice for him, he 'experiments' with different lighting techniques but I can never see anything different about the lighting. He then 'cuts' the image and pastes it onto a plain background and it is this part that's awful! The edging is uneven and fake and often carried 'bits' of the old background with it.

I think he just needs to use a different 'cutting tool' and refine the edges differently. This would work a treat. I agree with Abers regarding being qualified to critique however you don't even have to know anything about photography to see his problem. I also like Reinardina's idea of a private message to him. If I get banished, so be it!
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Daggers62

I strongly disagree with having to be qualified to criticise an image. Many art critics can't paint the side of a house never mind a painting, many food critics burn toast but can criticise others food. Many photographers take crap photos but they know what they like.

If an image is put up within an area of a forum that is asking for criticism then criticise if you feel it deserves it. If an image is posted within a general area, then be careful.  :-X

Reinardina

Chris, I think anyone who also uses the other forum, will now know who you are talking about! You gave a very recognisable description of the photos this man uploads.

I do not like giving critiques, and that was the part I least liked in the competition on the old DGM site. Unless I was bowled over by a shot, I always was very bland and non committal.

2Beers

I don't see anything wrong in giving constructive criticism and being helpful after all if he/she doesn't know that anything is wrong then how on earth can they hope to improve.
You say the some of the backgrounds are awful you could make some suggestions as to how they could improve the image, you could also download the image make some improvements and repost the image back into the thread stating how you made the improvements and you may find that they actually are grateful to you.

But that's just my opinion

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: 2Beers on April 29, 2014, 02:29:07 PM

you could also download the image make some improvements and repost the image back into the thread stating how you made the improvements and you may find that they actually are grateful to you.

Personally, if that happened to one of my images on here, I would be most annoyed. It is good Etiquette to ask first  :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on April 29, 2014, 02:42:45 PM
Quote from: 2Beers on April 29, 2014, 02:29:07 PM

you could also download the image make some improvements and repost the image back into the thread stating how you made the improvements and you may find that they actually are grateful to you.

Personally, if that happened to one of my images on here, I would be most annoyed. It is good Etiquette to ask first  :tup:

A very select group of close digital photographer friends, could do that to an image of mine, without annoying me.
They'd have to email it to me though, as I would never forgive them if they posted it back in a thread somewhere.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.