• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 188
  • Total: 188
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Weekly or Monthly Challenge? POLL and comments

Started by Hinfrance, February 04, 2009, 12:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekly or Monthly Challenge?

Weekly
16 (84.2%)
Monthly
3 (15.8%)
Fortnightly
0 (0%)
Not keen on the whole idea
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: February 18, 2009, 12:29:44 PM

jimthetrain

I think maybe Mon-Fri might be one day too many. No time allowed for time differences,posting of pics,48hr voting,choosing topic. May I suggest pictures to be taken from 00:01 Monday-23:59 Thursday, posting allowed until 12:00 Friday(lunch) voting to start shortly after 12 for 48 hrs which takes us to Sunday Noon where upon the winner then has 12 hrs to choose new subject for the following week. A bit hectic but without knocking a day off, you just wouldn't have time.
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

skellum

I think Jims way of thinking will work best unless someone has a better idea. If not I will dream up a topic for next week and post it here ASAP. :legit:

hevans

Quote from: skellum on February 06, 2009, 11:15:05 AM
I would suggest we start next week same rules as DCM ect ( pictures to be taken between monday & friday ) vote saturday & sunday then display winning image all the next week untill friday. I also think we should run the poll for 48 hours from 7.00 pm friday to 7.00 pm sunday which will allow the winner to set the subject for the next week.
This would allow the image of the week to be diplayed saturday & sunday while we vote. Let me know what you all think :legit:

The downside to this is the lack of a weekend to also take photos. For me, that's the only spare time going (family permitting, of course :().

As JimtheTrain pointed out, this is also a very hectic schedule - ideal if your not at work on thurs. or friday (to set up the poll and post a new topic). Experience with DCM shows that people generally need at least a day (usually 2) to post the new idea, and the only reason the poll goes up on Monday with reasonable reliability is because there are people with a bit of time to do it.

This is why I suggested having two comps running at the same time, the first would have the topic posted, and people out photographing (odd numbered weeks) and the other would have the poll up and people voting (even number of weeks). While it does provide for a longer period between the individual competitions, there is always one open for entries to be made.

H.

skellum

I thought you wanted to keep the weekend comp to DCM, this weekly comp on CC will give you something extra to do during the week :legit:

oRGie

For me it will only really work if the time to take the pic is 7 days, so a full week to get the shot and then a couple of days to put the poll up and few days for the poll, then a couple of days for the next idea to be posted, as Hugh sais its kind of like 2 comps running alternatate weeks.

Just as an idea for the pot, shots to be taken 00.01 monday to sunday 23.59.. posted by monday 23.59.. poll runs tuesday/wednesday to friday 23.59.. next topic posted before sunday 23.59.. while the poll is being done and voting is open for week 1 subject, week 2 subject photos are taken.

hevans

Quote from: skellum on February 06, 2009, 02:37:20 PM
I thought you wanted to keep the weekend comp to DCM, this weekly comp on CC will give you something extra to do during the week :legit:

Ah I see now, I didn't make my comment clear. My point was to avoid have two weekend comps running that might distract people from each of them. Having one that ran over a week for taking the photos would allow more time for everyone to fit it into their schedule (either at the weekend or during the week, or whenever they found time in their week :)). I'm pretty flexible about the timing, just so there's a reasonable amount of time for everyone to take a photo, process it, submit it, get the poll up, vote, and select a new topic. I think the absolute minimum feasible amount of time for any of those activities should be a day each.

H.

irv_b

So I take it that skellum will set the subject this time. The only thing we need to decide is when do we start it this sunday night/monday morning or leave it for a week and start next week?
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

skellum

I would like to start the competition this Monday if all agree with the setup being as Jim the train suggested in this thread. In the meantime I  will contact Mick ( about the technicalities ), think of a theme and wait for any other suggestions from you all. :legit:

Oldboy

That's OK with me.  :tup:
It says the poll is open until 18th but it is locked, and no I haven't voted.  :-\

irv_b

I was wondering whether as part of the challenge would it be good for everyone to have a go at reviewing the comp photos. I certainly am not a seasoned photographer so would find it difficult, so the comments would all have to be taken in the right manner but I feel it would improve peoples thought processes when taking their pics -I know it would mine -plus it will give everyone the feedback they want on their shots (look on the main page for the lack of comments on some terrific pictures) finally it would make the comp on here slightly different to the one on dcm - only a suggestion what does everyone think?
Irv
My Gallery

Hinfrance

Quote from: skellum on February 06, 2009, 09:59:55 PM
I would like to start the competition this Monday if all agree with the setup being as Jim the train suggested in this thread. In the meantime I  will contact Mick ( about the technicalities ), think of a theme and wait for any other suggestions from you all. :legit:

Fine by me skellum - ready and possibly waiting although having PC problems at the moment - having to start up in safe mode - and for once it's not Windows causing the problem, I think my chip is nearly fried . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

rksmith51

Quote from: oRGie on February 06, 2009, 03:12:30 PM
For me it will only really work if the time to take the pic is 7 days, so a full week to get the shot and then a couple of days to put the poll up and few days for the poll, then a couple of days for the next idea to be posted, as Hugh sais its kind of like 2 comps running alternatate weeks.

Just as an idea for the pot, shots to be taken 00.01 monday to sunday 23.59.. posted by monday 23.59.. poll runs tuesday/wednesday to friday 23.59.. next topic posted before sunday 23.59.. while the poll is being done and voting is open for week 1 subject, week 2 subject photos are taken.

oRGie's idea sounds best to me, it gives more time, to more people, to take part. There is no conflict with DCM either.

Bob
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

lurkalot

Quote from: Oldboy on February 07, 2009, 09:19:48 PM
That's OK with me.  :tup:
It says the poll is open until 18th but it is locked, and no I haven't voted.  :-\

Sorry oldboy, just noticed this.  ???   I've un-locked it again.  ;)

skellum

I have come up with a theme for the first competition ( Local or National Icons ) something that describes or is typical of the area we live in.
Could be landmarks, Industries ( whats left ) or street / market life etc.

I need to know if most people are happy to start this week and are agreeable to the weekly setup. I can't see the point of waiting till the 18th, most people may have lost interest by then.

Dave.   :legit:

irv_b

I think that you should go ahead with it Dave and she what kind of response we get?
Irv
My Gallery

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.