• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 62
  • Total: 62
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Lens Issue

Started by michaelb104, May 01, 2011, 06:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelb104

I put my 70-300 Tamron lens (the cheap one) on my camera (Sony) today, the first time in an absolute age and everything was fine until I wanted to focus on something close and found that it wouldn't.

After further investigation I've found that the focus ring will only move between 15ft and infinity.  It's like there is a focus lock switch but there isn't.  I've tried all I can think of, auto focus, manual focus and tried moving the focus ring with the lens off the camera but it still won't go below 15ft.

Anybody any other ideas or should I start saving for a new lens?
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Mick

Mike,

I haven't used this lens, but doesn't the macro switch act as a focus limiter?  (not sure if it's possible, but)  Have you somehow locked it above the macro range.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Carlj

Mike,

The Tamron requires you to zoom to between 180 and 300mm. The macro switch will then become active and allow focussing down to 0.95 meters.

Carl

michaelb104

Thanks for the replies.

The macro switch seems to be working fine, you have to zoom in to between 180 & 300mm and then you can switch to macro if I do this I still cannot get the focus ring to move below 15ft.

I'm getting the feeling that a new lens is on the cards.

Don't you just love being the age where you can use imperial and metric in the same sentence and know what they both mean  ;)
Mike

krennon

Michael try posting this q on www.dyxum.com it is an A Mount forum and I bet somone on there will know the answer, I don't have this lens so can't help but I bet there will be a dyxumer who can.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Hinfrance

Mike, sounds like it's broken doesn't it?

I have one of these lenses and the macro/normal switch can sometimes be a bit iffy, but it has always worked.

Did you not mention a dress shopping expedition last weekend? It seems to me that this might be your opportunity for a 'replacement lens' shopping trip ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Simple

Sounds like one of the internal dust rings has come off. Could be repaired but cost likely to be the same as new lens. If you decide not to go for repair, and buy something else,  always worth a go to repair it yourself. Spares for lenses can be bought from e-bay relatively cheap.

michaelb104

Keith, I'll go and have a look at Dyxum – thanks.

Howard, I think a lens shopping trip might be a good idea but if it was as good as the dress expedition I'll come back with nothing  :(

Simple - I'd thought about taking it apart myself, with its current state I've got nothing to lose.  Never thought about FleeBay for spares – thanks.
Mike

Beryl

I hav the latest Tamron LD 70-300 macro motorised
Works like a dream ::)

Like Carl says you have to ajust the lens efore you can switch to macro
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Oldboy

Quote from: Beryl on May 29, 2011, 10:32:01 PM
I hav the latest Tamron LD 70-300 macro motorised
Works like a dream ::)

Like Carl says you have to ajust the lens efore you can switch to macro

Nightmares are dreams too!  :P

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.