• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 61
  • Total: 61
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Gimp + UFRaw

Started by Sarasocke, November 03, 2009, 05:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

QuoteOnce again, just as with the gradient, the 16-bit version survived without a scratch!

Say WHAT????  Are we looking at the same pics?  Both have suddenly acquired very nasty colour noise at the top.

I guess they are saying "if you really don't care about exposure and want to do everything in post then use 16 bits".  So 16 bits is the new raw ;)

FWIW I work in 16 bits for most stuff but then I have (1) a very fast computer (2) lots of storage and (3) do a lot of work involving skin tones that might just need printing big.  For most of my stuff the difference is marginal at best but it's one of those 6th sigma things - a bit better is better.
It's Guest's round

Hinfrance

FWIW I do almost everything in 8 bit and sRGB because when there are no major tweaks involved it's better than good enough.

I think I can see a difference between the same conversion applied to an image to make it mono in 16 bit as opposed to 8 bit, so allow me my illusions  ;).

The blue sky thing is definite though.  :D

Most cameras produce, I believe, 12 or 14 bit RAW files. so that's 4096 to 16384 shades of any one colour. Although I bet Jonathan's state of the art stuff does the full 65536 trick.  ;D

Now who wants to start on colour spaces?  :legit:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.