• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 78
  • Total: 78
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Candid photography

Started by greypoint, August 20, 2009, 06:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greypoint

Which camp do you fall into - the one that confidently snaps awat regardless - or the one that does'nt like to be caught pointing a camera at  a stranger? I find I fall into the latter. The only time I really feel happy about openly photographing someone without asking first is when they're taking part in an event or display and are on show so to speak. For you confident types - what tips can you offer the less confident? What boundaries should we have in terms of content etc. Do you prefer a long lens and stand back or a small discreet camera that people don't notice?

Hinfrance

I like to use a long lens wide open or just one stop down to get a narrow depth of field. I find it is much better to be at a distance, so I can look all around for interesting pictures. I do sometimes ask people if I can take their picture, but usually don't because the self conscience that ensues can often ruin an interesting face or situation.

This chap was asked on account of the fact that I only had my compact:

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

With street photographery I prefer to snap without them knowing I'm taking their picture. Otherwise, you don't get the right reaction as most people are self-conscious, and will react to the camera. The worse bit, is people asking me to take their photo, as you know it will look false.  >:(

nickt

I'm with Tringle on this one. I use my 70-300mm wide open. They don't even know they're being photographed! I think I'm a bit too shy/self-conscious.
Nick

Chris P

I just shoot away.  I find if people do notice I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve...

At 300mm you're normally far enough away to be able to leg it  :legit:

And if that fails a smile and then look away usually does the trick

Oldboy

I usually use my 70-200mm for street shots, and walking around with that attached to a D3 people couldn't say they didn't notice me! Those ladies I snapped for the multi-colours competition, one of them turned around and looked at me as I took the shots, but I carried on snapping.  :P

irv_b

I normally use the 100mm F2.8 which I find is long enough to not disturb people but close enough to feel involved plus I spose people in London are quite used to seing cameras being pointed in theie direction from the tourists
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

greypoint

I did manage to include a fisherman in a couple of shots today - standing close using wide angle you don't have to actually point in the direction of the subject to get them in the frame! 8)

chris@seary.com

I find that people usually aren't bothered by me taking pictures. I'm tending to use wider and wider lenses these days, to get into the action a bit. 18mm is good on APS-C. I'm starting to use flash on occasion, and most people don't even tend to look round.

I don't mind if people notice me - a bit of eye contact adds to the picture a bit, IMHO.

I think it's a good idea to use a small lens (the Nikon 35mm 1.8 is the bees knees). That way, you don't look like an amateur or professional - people often think they're standing in the way of you trying photographing something behind them.

Not sure about the long lens thing - isn't that more like surveillance photography? Kind of conjures up old episodes of 'The Sweeney' in my mind.   :)

Oldboy

Quote from: chris@seary.com on September 17, 2009, 03:06:05 PM

Not sure about the long lens thing - isn't that more like surveillance photography? Kind of conjures up old episodes of 'The Sweeney' in my mind.   :)

I usually use the 70-200mm F2.8 VR only because you can't be in all positions at once, and the shot that makes good street photos, may only be there for a few seconds. This shot below might not have been possible with a shorter lens, as she might have been aware I was there, and ruined the moment.  ;D

picsfor

I've been one of those who feels i am intruding on some ones privacy if i pointed a camera at them.

But - i am starting to work towards not being so afraid. Seeing some of the pictures here and other sites makes you realise that not every one to having a camera pointed at them.

Hopefully this weekends Speakers Corner meet will help me further with my confidence.

Simple

Like Sue, I am not that confident, but I use the live view function a lot sitting for example on a terrace with a cuppa. You do not have the camera in front of your face and nobody knows you are taking pics.

hssutton

Coward :) :) :)

You could always use the old dutch sailors method, to overcome your lack of confidence :D ;D

Or use the same method as Oldboy and myself, mind you the Bigma would be a little awkward for candids.

Harry

chris@seary.com

Get in there and have a go! Seriously, you'll be surprised how little notice people take of you. Try and pretend that you're photographing something behind your subject, and that they're in the way.

Amateur Photographer have an article on street photgraphy this week, some fairly good advice, but unfortuantely illustrated with lots of pictures of people's backs.

They use a compact, a Nikon with 70-200, and a micro 4/3 camera. The micro 4/3 seems to be the bees knees for this type of shot.

oRGie

I enjoy taking candids too, it has an element of danger not knowing how people will react :)   

But the reason for my post is to remind everyone that not all countries laws are the same, eg here in Portugal it is illegal to take someones photo in public without permission, well, its not so much taking a pic is illegal, its the laws that protect every persons privacy that you are breaking and the police carry guns, so if someone complains I would not reccommend arguing with the coppers ;)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.