• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 100
  • Total: 101
  • Mick
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Greetings from Tobaccoville!

Started by Ken., February 05, 2015, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken.

Yes, that's the real name of my township/village here in NC.  :)

Mick and I have been friends and associates for a number of years now, working on a part of the software that this and other forums use. He has helped me and countless others to run and maintain their forums and so it's about time that I joined this forum to repay him in some small measure.

My camera and photography skills are not at a level that I've seen from other members here, but I do like to take a bunch of pictures with my cheap little Canon PowerShot so maybe I'll post a few some time so that you who are more experienced and skilled will have some pics to lend real criticizum too.  8)

Thanks... Ken.

Ken.

Here's a pic of my little (25lbs) Boston doing her 'dying cockroach' position for her nap.  :)

Oldboy

Welcome Ken.  :tup:

It doesn't matter what camera you have all are welcome here.  :tup:

Tobaccoville! Must be a smoking hot place?  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Ken.

Quote from: Oldboy on February 05, 2015, 11:55:40 PM
Welcome Ken.  :tup:

It doesn't matter what camera you have all are welcome here.  :tup:

Tobaccoville! Must be a smoking hot place?  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
Thanks Oldboy.
The name comes from a tobacco factory that was near the township, this quote from the Tobaccoville Website:
QuoteHow Did Tobaccoville Get Its Name?
Tobaccoville was named for a plug chewing tobacco factory owned and operated in the 1870's by Charles Orrender. The factory was located on what is now Doral Drive, one mile south of the present day post office at the Tobaccoville crossroads. This area was the mail route of a 4-horse stagecoach from Mt. Airy to Winston-Salem, which changed horses at Donnaha and forded the Little Yadkin River. When the river water was high, the horses were forced to swim, and the mail was frequently lost. People regularly gathered in the area to watch the stagecoach come and go.

The Orrender Tobacco Factory was the principal landmark in the area, and the name "Tobaccoville" was suggested for the post office. Charles Orrender was commissioned as the first postmaster of Tobaccoville on October 1, 1887. Eight postmasters have since served.

... the factory mentioned is no longer there, but there is a rather large R.J. Reynolds cigarette factory close by.

Beaux Reflets

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

Welcome to the forum Ken. I loved the potted history of Tobaccoville. Those were the days! Horses still can ford a river when the water is high; here you regularly read about people, who think their cars can do it too.

And you can do amazing things with a Canon Powershot. Just pay attention at what you're aiming at, walk round the subject, try different points of view, and check the screen to see what looks best. This only takes a few minutes and will almost certainly give you more than one interesting shot.

If you want proper advice, you're at the right place here, as there are plenty of very experienced photographers on CC. (I am not among them, yet.)

Anyway, welcome, and please forget about software occasionally and show us a bit more of your Boston and your town. (The dying cockroach position is not very flattering!)

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

Welcome Tabaccovillian: Warm greetings from a slightly snowy and chilly (-2C) south of France.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

DigiDiva

Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

ABERS

Hello and Welcome.

Tobaccoville, what a great name for a town. Visted Greenville N.C. for work a few times. I was always amused by the burger chain that seemed to have an outlet on every corner, Fuddruckers. A name that Dr Spooner would have had great problems with. ;)

Ken.

Ken.

Quote from: Reinardina on February 06, 2015, 09:35:16 AM
Welcome to the forum Ken. I loved the potted history of Tobaccoville. Those were the days! Horses still can ford a river when the water is high; here you regularly read about people, who think their cars can do it too.

And you can do amazing things with a Canon Powershot. Just pay attention at what you're aiming at, walk round the subject, try different points of view, and check the screen to see what looks best. This only takes a few minutes and will almost certainly give you more than one interesting shot.

If you want proper advice, you're at the right place here, as there are plenty of very experienced photographers on CC. (I am not among them, yet.)

Anyway, welcome, and please forget about software occasionally and show us a bit more of your Boston and your town. (The dying cockroach position is not very flattering!)

Thanks Reinardina, good advice. Typically I take several shots, sometimes as many as 20-30, hoping to get one good one.

Ken.

Quote from: Hinfrance on February 06, 2015, 12:37:06 PM
Welcome Tabaccovillian: Warm greetings from a slightly snowy and chilly (-2C) south of France.

Thanks Hinfrance. Your -2C is about the same as our 20%F, but we have no snow. Chilly indeed!  :tup:

Ken.

Ken.

Quote from: ABERS on February 06, 2015, 10:57:00 PM
Hello and Welcome.

Tobaccoville, what a great name for a town. Visted Greenville N.C. for work a few times. I was always amused by the burger chain that seemed to have an outlet on every corner, Fuddruckers. A name that Dr Spooner would have had great problems with. ;)

Thanks ABERS.
Fuddruckers... what a great burger joint! It's one of those places where you can destroy you calorie allowance for the entire week! Gotta love it.  8) 

Mick

Hi Ken, how's tricks.

Great to see you over here, and loving the story regarding the town name, interesting stuff.  :tup:  As you know I'm still trying to do my bit in supporting Tinyportal, and hopefully we will have something new in the coming months, if we can keep bloc on side.

I'm finding it hard to make time for photography atm, with all the other support stuff and hobbies  going on, but hey, I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.

And nothing wrong with using a Powershot, I'm still using an extremely outdated Canon 30D.  :-[ Yours will probably take better photos tbh.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.