• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 129
  • Total: 129
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

serious stuff

Started by Bigbill, October 31, 2010, 08:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbill

Hewwo from wet Sheffy,,

Now then,some serious subject matter for once,,,ive always kept my NHS job,until now in a 15hr a week part time capacity,,,and plodded on with Gigstills(my photo business) the rest of the time.
However,the NHS are now training me up for promotion,,,,so,,,,if i go full time with them i,ll be guaranteed a minimum 20k,,,,,but,in fairness i cant do that and run Gigstills properly....common sense dictates that i go full time and regard the Nikon stuff as a hobby again,,,,thing is,,,,ive had such a blast over the last 5 yrs with my toys,,,,but would have to take an awful lot of shots to equal whats on offer at the good old Royal Hallamshire.....
I have no idea what i could have done with Gigstills,,,,,,never exactly set the world alight,,,,,,Hmmmmmmmm,,,20k is 20k,,,,,,,,,,

Anyone any observations ??

Shine On

Oldboy

As you say, 20k is 20k. I would take the job and carry on your photo business in your spare time, as it can provide an income when you retire.  :tup:

skellum

Even with the present economic situation the NHS job would seem to offer some security especially if they are spending time and money on you ( a rare thing nowadays ) so I would keep the photo business part time untill you can be sure it generates enough to support you. I have been self employed for over 20 years in the electrical trade and have allways had good weeks / months and bad ones, the same applies to photography, its something you have to cope with in the self employed world. A Guaranteed income would be a luxury for me now. ....Regards, Dave  :legit:

SimonW

Not just good income - a pension when the time comes too....
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

ABERS

I had a somewhat similar decision to make back in the late 80's. Bread on the table or pie in the sky. I gave up my photography completely, I couldn't face not doing it properly or devoting enough time to it. Returned three years ago. Do not regret it for one minute.

CML-1591

Quote from: Bigbill on October 31, 2010, 08:30:11 PM
Royal Hallamshire.....

Mate, you made a typo

tbh. I'd take the job, and do the gigs when you can.

20k also means it might give you chance to save that lil bit more for gear!  :tup:
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Jonathan

Nobody can decide this for you.

Not only do we not know how important 20K is to you, we don't know how important the fun of taking pics is and how much you like/dislike the NHS.  I walked away from a lot more than 20K to do this and have almost never looked back ;)

But seriously - if you stick with the pics work on your marketing.  You could earn a lot more than 20K AND have fun....
It's Guest's round

ABERS

Bill this may be of interest to you

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/photography.do

It would appear that salaries in this area of work are on the decline :o

Alfonso_Frisk

Bill you need to consider other things such as job satifaction. Are you enjoying your present role and how does/will it compare the the new.
More hours and responsibility can bring more stress
Money aint everything as they say.
Good luck with the decision
RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Bigbill

Hewwo from Hurricane force Sheffy,

Thanks to all for the above,,,,now then,ive put all my eggs in the NHS basket(for now),,had to really,common sense and all that,,i will however keep the company on ice,register the name every 12 months just incase.
Its been a very long interesting journey,lots of ups and downs,,,we sometimes get the "should i shouldnt i" Q asked in here,,my view remains give it a go,,,,,,and if possible have a safety net,,DONT expect to make bundles of cash though,i know there are those who do(and well done to them) but i would say they are the exception rather than the rule,,,
So for me,,photography will become a very enjoyable hobby again.

Shine On

Graham

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Malcolm1938

I know how hard it is to leave photography to join the real world.

Earning a living is not really enough today - you need also to provide for the furure.

The hospital job gives you a chance to do that but with your camera skills I can see no reason why you cant earn a bit on the side.

Maybe not through gigs but some social work, Kids portraits, Parties etc and a bit of Product photography for some of the many Ebayers whose photographics skills are just about zero.

I know you'll enjoy your photography as a hobby but I'm sure you'll enjoy it more if it still brings in a little cash.

Best of luck
Malcolm
FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.