• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 193
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 49
  • Total: 49
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Wedding Photography

Started by DavidHammond, September 23, 2010, 01:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidHammond

I have been asked by my partners soon to be sister-in-law to take some photo's of their wedding this Saturday.

I've been and scouted out the location and the only thing I see the problem is that one wall of the room is all glass, and they're planning on having all the seats dressed in white!

I will be armed with my flashgun, and hoping to use it off the ceiling as a fill in when shooting against the light.

I have my trusty grey card, and will use that in a test shot of the room, as a reference in photoshop. Will it be worth while setting a custom white balance too in camera?

They've asked for some posed photos too, which I'm fairly confident about, as I can take my time with those.

They're fully understanding that I am by no means a professional and I just take pictures as a hobby. But I would really love to get some nice shots of them.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

>> the problem is that one wall of the room is all glass, and they're planning on having all the seats dressed in white!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nah - you'll be fine.  More later - but I have a wedding to shoot.....

Did you get a snap of the room while you were there?
It's Guest's round

DavidHammond

I took some test shots of the bride in the room, (without wedding dress), they were recoverable in PS, but started to look a little grainy.

I never thought to take one of the actual room in general.

SimonW

I don't know anything about weddings, but I'd say if you shoot RAW you'll not need to worry too much about white balance as you'll be able to get it right during processing. I might suggest using a polarising filter to help kill reflections from the glass. But personally I find them a bit difficult when you might be taking opportunistic snapshots. They can give unwanted results if you forget they're fitted and don't check the effect before every shot - or at least when you aim at a different scene.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Jonathan

OK back from a fun little wedding.....

1. Why is the glass wall a problem?  (I genuinely don't understand your issue here)

2. Why are the white chair covers a problem?  Don't forget that most of them will be covered by people.  There's a reason they put chairs in the room.

3. Is the colour of the light consistent throughout the room?  Or is it (like most marriage rooms) predominantly daylight at one end and electric at the other?  Actually, where are the windows?  When is the wedding?

4. Why did the shots need recovery?  What issue did you need to fix in post?  I'm guessing underexposure....why is that?

5. Is there a reason you can't use flash?  I was blasting away with on camera flash during the ceremony today.....
It's Guest's round

DavidHammond

1. Why is the glass wall a problem?  For many of the shots, I will be shooting towards the windows. Which is where most the light for the room is coming from. There are two large chandeliers, but the room is mainly light by the light from the windows. Just don't fancy having shillottes of the bride and groom.

2. Why are the white chair covers a problem?  With everything been white, I'm concerned about the exposure of the images. It might be to much for the camera to handle.

3. Is the colour of the light consistent throughout the room?  It is mainly lit from the light from the windows, again with two pretty looking, but damn hopeless chandeliers.

4. Why did the shots need recovery?  What issue did you need to fix in post?  Correct it was underexposure, and that's due to shooting towards the light source.

5. Is there a reason you can't use flash?  I've read that some people conducting the service prefer not to have any flashes, as they are distracting/blinding. But hopefully this wont be a problem.

I've read that the best way to use a E-TTL flash gun, in these scenarios is to set the correct exposure for the background, and let the flash do it's own thing. I experimented with this yesterday afternoon, and it seemed to work, using my diffuser to soften the light.

rksmith51

Quote from: DavidHammond on September 24, 2010, 11:06:57 AM
1. Why is the glass wall a problem?  For many of the shots, I will be shooting towards the windows. Which is where most the light for the room is coming from. There are two large chandeliers, but the room is mainly light by the light from the windows. Just don't fancy having shillottes of the bride and groom.

2. Why are the white chair covers a problem?  With everything been white, I'm concerned about the exposure of the images. It might be to much for the camera to handle.

3. Is the colour of the light consistent throughout the room?  It is mainly lit from the light from the windows, again with two pretty looking, but damn hopeless chandeliers.

4. Why did the shots need recovery?  What issue did you need to fix in post?  Correct it was underexposure, and that's due to shooting towards the light source.

5. Is there a reason you can't use flash?  I've read that some people conducting the service prefer not to have any flashes, as they are distracting/blinding. But hopefully this wont be a problem.

I've read that the best way to use a E-TTL flash gun, in these scenarios is to set the correct exposure for the background, and let the flash do it's own thing. I experimented with this yesterday afternoon, and it seemed to work, using my diffuser to soften the light.

Hi David, I can see why you may be worried about the light, but you can turn this to your advantage, although the light is behind the subject you meter for the light on their faces and let the background blowout, you then have a clear white background with no distractions. You could use spot metering to get that effect, or set it up using manual exposure that way it will be consistant, get a few practice shots in before the ceremony starts.

Again for point 2, use spot metering on the faces, I should point out that I'm no expert so I hope Jonathan  or anyone else experienced in difficult lighting will also come in.

Point 3. use RAW if you can, then the problem no longer exists, as you can correct it in PP, or use Auto WB and  it should be very close.
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

DavidHammond

It never crossed my mind to use a spot reading off their faces.  :tup:

I'm sure it will yeild some very interesting effects if the light is strong enough- it's terribly overcast today, so I hope tomorrows a little better.

rksmith51

Overcast may be better than bright sun, its a more diffused light and gives softer shadows, in the end you can only use what you get  :) so give it your best shot and all the best, post us some of your results if you can.
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

Jonathan

Quote from: DavidHammond on September 24, 2010, 11:06:57 AM
1. Why is the glass wall a problem?  For many of the shots, I will be shooting towards the windows. Which is where most the light for the room is coming from. There are two large chandeliers, but the room is mainly light by the light from the windows. Just don't fancy having shillottes of the bride and groom.

Ah OK.  I thought you meant an actual glass wall.  You meant windows...

So the question becomes....why are you shooting into the light?  If you are the official or sole photographer then have a chat with the registrars [hint: the one who sits down and doesn't talk is actually the registrar and is in charge.  The other's the celebrant.  They love it when you get that right.]

I posted a thread about my D3S last week.  The only way I got decent pics without flash was because I had my back to the window.  Plus you get to see their faces.

I've had friends of the B&G stand right next to me subject to the following rules

1. If you get in my way I will push you over
2. If you annoy the reg I will push you over and steal your camera
3. If for any reason only one person is allowed there then it's me

2. Why are the white chair covers a problem?  With everything been white, I'm concerned about the exposure of the images. It might be to much for the camera to handle.

Really I wouldn't worry about them.  If nobody's sitting there and they make up more than 1/3 of the frame then knock the exposure up an extra 2/3 stop.  But ordinarily I wouldn't even think about them.

3. Is the colour of the light consistent throughout the room?  It is mainly lit from the light from the windows, again with two pretty looking, but damn hopeless chandeliers.

Then manual whi bal will be fine.  Depending on your camera auto may also make a nice job of it.

4. Why did the shots need recovery?  What issue did you need to fix in post?  Correct it was underexposure, and that's due to shooting towards the light source.

No.  The reason is that you failed to instruct the camera to expose correctly ;)

Usually I'll run with matrix metering and ride the exposure up and down from there - but I know my camera pretty well.  Centre weighted or spot may work better here.  In a church I'll usually run on manual since the light on the couple is generally constant but b/g light can vary a lot.  Frame carefully and expose for your subject.

Note that if it's really bright you may be screwed anyway.  You can get so much light wrap round them that the edges bleed.  You're going to have to choose your angle and hope that some of the coatings on your lens do their job.

5. Is there a reason you can't use flash?  I've read that some people conducting the service prefer not to have any flashes, as they are distracting/blinding. But hopefully this wont be a problem.

E-TTL?  That will be a Canon thing.  I know so little about that it's not worth commenting ;)

Yeah some couples don't like flash and some registrars ban it all together.  It's VERY rare that I use it during a ceremony but we were outside yesterday and TBH I bet nobody even noticed.  Lots of family and friends use flash at weddings.  I bet most of them don't know the 10 foot rule.....

Should be a good day - have fun!  Mine tomorrow is a late one (5pm) in a very dark London club.  Then on to some warehouse in Fulham to shoot a party.  I'll be lucky to get home before 3.  Or get below 1,600 ISO all night :D
It's Guest's round

DavidHammond

Thanks for your advice.

I had an idea of the problems I might be facing, but not many solutions. I'm feeling much more confident already and will just try and enjoy the day as much as I can.

Cheers again :-D

Jonathan

S-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o.....how did it go.....?

Mine was, err, interesting.  The venue asked one guest to stop taking pictures because she was in the way during the ceremony and I seriously thought the registrar was going to call it all off.  Of course I got the blame....
It's Guest's round

DavidHammond

It went ok. The day was great.

I got some reasonable photos (I daren't say good).

I managed not to use the flash indoors, but it needed a high ISO, large apperture, to get a fast enough shutter speed to reduce the blurring.

Outdoors, my only regret is not using the flash to fill in the shadows on all the images, but you live and learn.

Once the Brides back and seen them, I'll post some online.

I'm fairly happy with them images, and do not envy you doing it as a living!  :tup:

Jonathan

Glad you survived ;)

Here's mine from Saturday http://peoplebyryan.com/weddings/30-pavilion-road-west-end-elegance

Oh yeah.  Flash outdoors..... :D
It's Guest's round

jinky

Glad you survived it David  ;)

Mine was, err, interesting.  The venue asked one guest to stop taking pictures because she was in the way during the ceremony and I seriously thought the registrar was going to call it all off.  Of course I got the blame....
Jonathan

How was it you got the blame then J?
Have you ever been stopped for taking pictures / using flash when it had not been flagged up at the start. One of the few I did was at the Civic Centre in Newcastle and I agreed with the registrar at the start that I would not be "excessive" with my clicking but she flagged up the deaf side of the person doing the words etc and I found that by being that side there was not an issue for him.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.