• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 258
  • Total: 258
  • Google
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

New iMac

Started by picsfor, October 21, 2009, 11:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picsfor

Apple have announced the upgrading of this model to:
Quad core prcoessor, 16gb ram, 2 Tb hard drive and 27 inch screen with increased pixel level.
All for £3k

2 Tb HD and 27 inch screen is nice - but 16gb ram? Who on earth would come close to exhausting that much memory?

I can't even get my current 24 inch model with duo processor to exhaust 4gb ram!

anglefire

Ask Jonathan Ryan -I think he has 16Gb.............

Oh I remember the days when 4Mb was considered a lot of memory...... I must be getting old.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

picsfor

But does he exhaust it?
Also, isn't his fitted to a Mac Pro? That's an entirely different beast - designed to be expandable to the nth degree.
The iMac is designed to be an all in one space saving but usable desktop for home use.

The specs indicated must surely undermine the Mac Pro market?

pocketwitch

I'm using one of the 1st 17" Intel Macs, I upgraded to 1GB of ram, it does just fine.  May treat it to another upgrade to 2GB tho, just cos I can!  16GB, bit of overkill there I think!

Doesn't stop me lusting after one of the new ones mind....ah well a woman can dream  :D
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

Carol aka Pocketwitch

picsfor

Quote from: anglefire on October 22, 2009, 05:19:49 AM
Oh I remember the days when 4Mb was considered a lot of memory...... I must be getting old.

I go back to an old ICL 1900 main frame at Suffolk College.
It had the capacity to process 19k worth of program and data.
That was when you punched your own cards, sent them in for batch processing and used enough paper to exhaust an acre of the Amazonian rain forest!

Mind you it was easy to work out how much system capacity you were using - each box on the coding paper which was occupied equalled a single bit of space!
80 possible buts per line - 40 lines - you were taught to be very frugal with your coding!
And let's not forget the flowcharts you had to create.
Modern day education would call one project a 'thesis' and give you a doctorate!

oRGie

my guess would be for video editing, you can easilly find yourself dealing with 2gb - to 20gb files just as an amateur with short films of 3 mins to 30 mins, so more ram the smoother things like ripping and coding video files will be :)

happypaddler

I would benefit from such huge ram when using statistical analysis software such as STATA or SPSS - both very boring unless you are a stats nerd (I'm not - it takes me ages to work out what to do when I use them) - but necessary when I'm doing various socio based research projects. Currently, when I have a massive data set, I need to leave the mac working and not open any other apps. With that kind of memory (and more processing power) I could continue working in other areas whilst the stats crunch in the background. But alas, finances will not allow this little dream to come true... (even if the lower memory spec was purchased and higher ram myself - a much cheaper way of doing it).

hevans

Quote from: happypaddler on October 22, 2009, 01:46:38 PM
I would benefit from such huge ram when using statistical analysis software such as STATA or SPSS - both very boring unless you are a stats nerd (I'm not - it takes me ages to work out what to do when I use them) - but necessary when I'm doing various socio based research projects. Currently, when I have a massive data set, I need to leave the mac working and not open any other apps. With that kind of memory (and more processing power) I could continue working in other areas whilst the stats crunch in the background. But alas, finances will not allow this little dream to come true... (even if the lower memory spec was purchased and higher ram myself - a much cheaper way of doing it).
Blimey, does SPSS still exist (statistical package for the social sciences, if i remember correctly).?!  :o Last time I used that it was 1981...

I tend to use ITT/IDL now. Quite nice, and fast. Usually load a 32Gb dataset into our 128Gb Linux machines and let it churn away.

H.

Jonathan

You see this is how rumours start.....

I don't have anything like 16GB.  I have a paltry 11GB.  A slimline 2 X 2.66 dual core Xeons and 5 X internal 1TB drives and a 400 GB temporary internal drive.

If I'd bought the memory differently then I may have 16 but 11 is enough (some people argue 8 is enough).  I bought it with 3 and added 8 more later for a bargain price when the dollar was weak.

Since I'm not yet on Snow Leopard, no app can use more than 4GB.  So that's 4 for Lightroom, 4 for Photoshop and 3 for grunt work like OS X, Mail, Napster, Twitter etc.  The processors do get a little bit slammed though I don't need an 8-core yet.  The memory works beautifully.  I can have Lightroom running full tilt (say rendering 1:1 previews), use Photoshop properly and still have enough left over to keep the machine ticking over.  The advantage is that the apps hardly ever swap to disk.  I can chuck 500 MB files around in Photoshop without really noticing.  Whilst it's doing other stuff ;)

I used to have a swap drive running RAID 0 but with the memory I don't need that any more.

When I go to Snow Leopard and CS4 (or more likely CS5) I may max it out to 16GB.  But if I was speccing a new 8-core tomorrow I'd probably load it to 16 rather than 32 because 4GB boards are still very pricey.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

Quote from: Jonathan on October 22, 2009, 06:13:35 PM
I don't have anything like 16GB.  I have a paltry 11GB. 

Probably another bug in the 1D MkIII focusing :2funny:

Oldboy

Quote from: picsfor on October 22, 2009, 12:56:06 PM

I go back to an old ICL 1900 main frame at Suffolk College.

At my old workplace we had an ICL system 10 with built-in printer, but you had to give it a kick to get the printer to start. My first PC was a ICL SX25 with 4mb ram and a 85mb hard drive!  ::)

happypaddler

Quote from: hevans on October 22, 2009, 04:48:16 PM
Quote from: happypaddler on October 22, 2009, 01:46:38 PM
Blimey, does SPSS still exist (statistical package for the social sciences, if i remember correctly).?!  :o Last time I used that it was 1981...

I tend to use ITT/IDL now. Quite nice, and fast. Usually load a 32Gb dataset into our 128Gb Linux machines and let it churn away.

H.

Unfortunately it is - though I believe IBM acquired it recently and have renamed it PASW Statistics. Both SPSS and STATA have become the stalwart  analysis for the social science community. I prefer SPSS (I'm law and criminology), where as it seems those coming from a political bent prefer STATA - which I hate with a passion. SPSS is more user friendly for my head, but each to their own. From my point of view its they are a bit like photoshop, in that SPSS and STATA are all singing all dancing, but I use only a small part of it - and both are very very expensive!

anglefire

Quote from: picsfor on October 22, 2009, 08:09:38 PM
Quote from: Jonathan on October 22, 2009, 06:13:35 PM
I don't have anything like 16GB.  I have a paltry 11GB. 

Probably another bug in the 1D MkIII focusing :2funny:

No bugs, just my memory!  :tup:
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

jimthetrain

I've just treated myself to a 27" imac and an external HDD for backing up my laptop and pc desktop. Just in the process of backing up everything I want to keep off both machines,then starting afresh with the laptop and binning the pc. Had the imac in the house for 2hrs now and it's still in the box. ::) A new challenge for the new year is to get used to a Mac. :tup:
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

stevebedder

Quote from: picsfor on October 21, 2009, 11:10:11 PM
Who on earth would come close to exhausting that much memory?

I've been using a Lenovo workstation recently that has 8 cores and 32Gb of memory and took it close to it's limit with some pretty big 3D models (approx 250,000 components).

I know quite a lot of engineering companies that use our software to design big industrial machinery and want to use simulation and analysis tools that are using workstations with up to 32Gb and 16 cores in them. They don't need that level of hardware but the faster it is, the less time to do the job.

Steve

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.