• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 112
  • Total: 112
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Beginner Portraits

Started by magicrhodes, November 23, 2009, 09:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicrhodes

I am looking to take some indoor photos of a slightly reluctant but generally willing model. I am planning the shoot so that I know what I am trying to achieve before I start to try and reduce irritation brought on by taking too long...

Can anyone recommend any tips to help me as I generally shoot architecture and landscapes!

BTW my only equipment is a D40, flashgun and tripod....

The over all aim is to help someone feel better about themselves...

hevans

Quote from: magicrhodes on November 23, 2009, 09:26:19 AM
I am looking to take some indoor photos of a slightly reluctant but generally willing model. I am planning the shoot so that I know what I am trying to achieve before I start to try and reduce irritation brought on by taking too long...

Can anyone recommend any tips to help me as I generally shoot architecture and landscapes!
First off: I would investigate and play around with the lighting that's required. Do this ahead of time, so as not to be faffing around with it while the model is there. Prolonging the activity (unless the model starts to have fun with it) because of loads of tinkering will raise the stress levels in a reluctant or self-concious model.

You can use a ball/melon/anything roundish as a test head while you tinker.

QuoteBTW my only equipment is a D40, flashgun and tripod....

If you don't want to spend much more on equipment prior to this shoot, I'd get some large pieces of white board  that you can use as a fill in and reflector. You can tape one to the wall and fire the strobe at it, and the other you can prop up on the other side of the model (on a high backed chair ?). This will soften the light considerably (harsh shadows are not generally flattering). Alternatively, you can use a North facing window (or south facing on an overcast day) as the primary or fill in light.

Do you plan to take full length or portrait? Full length will require more in the way of a background.

QuoteThe over all aim is to help someone feel better about themselves...

Have a look online about flattering poses (from slightly above to prevent double chins, etc.)

I'm sure J. Ryan will be along with more authoritative help.

H.

Simple

This website has been mentioned for a while now, and is full of nice tips.
I do not know who came up with it in the first place, but it surely helps me.
http://www.lumitouch.com/benstudiotutorial/rules.html

picsfor

BTW my only equipment is a D40, flashgun and tripod....
It may not be as much as others, but you really should give a look at some of the galleries or go on Flickr and look for a D40 user group to see how much can be achieved with 'only a D40'.
That may also give you an idea for some poses.
I know there are groups who deal specifically with portraiture.

magicrhodes

Thanks all, another question is tht I quite like "noisey" portrait photos particularly when focusing on one area, similar to Alison Jackson who did the "voyeur" photography for the Schweppes adverts and the Confidential book... How do I do this?

hevans

Quote from: magicrhodes on November 23, 2009, 10:23:00 AM
Thanks all, another question is tht I quite like "noisey" portrait photos particularly when focusing on one area, similar to Alison Jackson who did the "voyeur" photography for the Schweppes adverts and the Confidential book... How do I do this?

In photoshop, or any editor. Convert to greyscale (using one of many techniques; I tend to prefer the channel mixer), then add noise (I tend to use the gaussian) to taste using one of many techniques.

H.

Jonathan

The over all aim is to help someone feel better about themselves...

Shoot with the longest lens (or zoom position) you can.  The wider the lens the more it's going to exaggerate any "body issues".  I mean don't get all 400mm or anything but 100mm + is good.  Scope out the room beforehand to make sure you can use your chosen lens without having to stand outside.

If you can get your flash off camera and the walls are white you're home free on the lighting.  Just blast the flash into the side wall with your camera on manual.  Move around the room to alter the angle of the lighting.

But above all talk.  Nothing makes somebody nervous like seeming nervous.  Just chat about anything and take pictures while you're doing it.  It's going to go a lot more smoothly that way.
It's Guest's round

Graham

Regadrding posing and so on you may find this of use.

http://www.lumitouch.com/benstudiotutorial/rules.html
                     Graham.  :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

magicrhodes

Have scoped the room and it will only really allow a 35mm lens possibly upto 50mm for 1 or 2 pics because it is really small.... will this have any effect on the outcome?

oRGie

yes, thats not ideal ;)

What about outside ?   also bear in mind the prep that goes into really fab portraits, I assume your victim, cough, model is a female ?  if so, make up is important as we all know girls wear make up and perfume cos they are ugly and smell right  :2funny:   seriously though, having a bit of fun with make up can lighten the mood and give self confidence and the great results too :)  unless of course your after a gritty documetary type shot..   

anglefire

Firstly, forget what gear you have. All I will say is get the flash off the camera - either wire it or try wireless (Has the D40 got wireless Commander?)

Bounce it off the wall, through a white brolly, into a silver one, what ever. Try and avoid direct flash basically.

Stop the lens down a couple of stops from maximum. f8 is often the sweet spot.

Not a lot of room? Then don't try and get full length shots - but if you do try and get the camera parallel to the subject and the lens at around chest height.

Particularly if its a lady, then try for a focal length of around 80mm - and true 80mm, not 50mm and add the crop factor. This may mean you are limited to half body shots or head shots. But 35mm often doesn't look good. - the Nose can look very distorted.

Sitting poses may be possible too.

And if it is a lady, a bit of slap will help most!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Sarasocke

Simple and Graham - the link is really helpfull. I'm due to do a shoot of my friend's daughter (mid teens) and she would HATE if I took unflattering pics ;)
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Simple

Carol, I am sure it will be huge success. Here is another site I find very useful for snippets of info.
http://super.nova.org/DPR/#TOC

Oldboy

Quote from: anglefire on November 28, 2009, 08:16:04 PM

And if it is a lady, a bit of slap will help most!

You missed the tickle bit!  :2funny:  :-[

magicrhodes

Quote from: Sarasocke on November 29, 2009, 10:09:07 AM
she would HATE if I took unflattering pics ;)

I have a feeling that you're unlikely to get her to like any pictures of herself if she is teenager!  ;D

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.