• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 85
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 63
  • Total: 63
wex
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

Chat Thread Weekly Competition 18-24 Nov 2013 Christmas Cards.

Started by Oldboy, November 16, 2013, 09:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

Chat Thread

As Christmas approaches we start thinking of the cards we buy/make for out family and friends. Most of them are based on photographs, so this weeks challenge is to use a photo you take for a card. If you can't think of something look at the cards in the shops. Next week the have forecast snow for the UK so might make it a bit easier.

No PP restrictions.

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 18th November 2013 to 23:59 Sunday 24th November 2013 .
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 25th November 2013.
Poll will be up Tuesday 26th November 2013.
Winner to be announced Saturday 30th November 2013.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
Post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night

ABERS

I unfortunately put this together a couple of weeks ago in readiness for the festive season, so too early for Oldboy's comp.

Don't think I'll have time to concoct another.

Reinardina

That's a very nice one Alan.

I went to Winchester today to see the Christmas market. It was only the first day, not very busy and not very Christmassy yet. Not at all happy with the shots I took. There's one however, that might do, with a bit of tarting up. I'll see.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Andrew

Very nice Alan, so far only sunshine and strong downpours in and around Ipswich. Not even seen the promised frost yet and as for the Xmas lights, well this yeat the LED tree is surrounded by an enormous 'brought to you by...' wall around the bottom 6-8 feet.

Only 3 days left to get an Xmas scene of any type, let alone produce the card  :o Not looking good - but i'll keep taking the camera with me when i go out in hope  :tup:
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Oldboy

Think church windows, Robins, Holly with berries, Christmas trees, Fairy lights or Nativity scenes.  :doh:

Reinardina

Or take out the Christmas decorations for a close up of baubles and/or lights. Bokeh always works well.

I went for the nativity scene in the Christmas market. Normally the stable is full of life, with children posing as shepherds, but yesterday was simply too early; apart from the holy couple and their baby, the building was empty. But I did manage to turn it into a card, so I have a back up, in case I don't get another chance.

jinky

I`ve a back up too for this week as I went into the Christmas market armed with my bokeh shaper to get curious glances. Boring same old stuff there this year but once more security failed to stop me breaching the rules and shooting there. Stall holders were all asked if OK to shoot and all delighted so had my "freedom for photographers" rant all ready to go. Almost disappointing that every year since them telling me dslr photography was banned I have done so without  problem ;)

kerbside

Think the best chance I have is taking a picture and winterising it in photoshop, that will give me the basis. Will see how knee is later, also alternator has gone on car  >:( so got to get that sorted along with a load of other weekend stuff, happy days.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

jinky

With my plans for next couple of days and the forecast thought I`d better get my entry in. I`ve called it Light Snow as I used my DIY bokeh shaper to develop the snowflake shapes in the bokeh behind.

Reinardina

Don't think I will be able to go out and have another go, so I have entered my 'back up.'
After 'tarting it up' a bit, I'm quite pleased with it.

The nativity.

jinky

I`ve changed my entry to the other shot I took at the market - less cluttered and cleaner bokeh results I think with my diy shaper
Church on a Chain

Reinardina

Paul, it may be a well known 'trick,' but I don't know it.

So, could you please explain, how to make a DIY bokeh shaper, and how to use it?

Thanks.

ABERS

Someone asked about printing Xmas cards and speaking with a Fotospeed rep today he pointed me in this direction

http://www.permajet.com/Products/PermaJet-Inkjet-Postcards-and-Greetings-Cards

Bit pricey but may be of use if you're interested.

kerbside

Had a walk out in the local park today and the Holly is loaded with berries so my entry is below.

Holly

I will be altering the text on this before anyone picks me up as "Seasons" should be with an apostrophe s

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on November 23, 2013, 04:55:23 PM
Someone asked about printing Xmas cards and speaking with a Fotospeed rep today he pointed me in this direction

http://www.permajet.com/Products/PermaJet-Inkjet-Postcards-and-Greetings-Cards

Bit pricey but may be of use if you're interested.

I was looking for a nice thick paper or thin card (max 220 gsm) to print my cards on, but this is indeed pricey. Especially as I need quite a lot.
I found, among my collection of card and other paraphernalia, a 200gsm coated white card, that, with a bit of juggling with the printer settings, gives a reasonable result.
Not as good as last year's, on textured paper, but that paper was slightly too thin and also horrendously expensive.

Does anyone else print their own Christmas cards by the way?

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.