• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 81
  • Total: 81
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Site

Started by Bigbill, April 05, 2010, 08:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbill

Hello to all from Relegation Bound Sheffield,,

Now then,ive spent some time re doing my Gigstills site,
I would apprteciate your views !

www.gigstills.co.uk

Shine On

picsfor

OK, first off Bill.

The site runs like a dream - no sitting and waiting for me.
Opening page:
very easy to follow and navigate beyond and the slide show popped up really quickly. The accompanying text on the right, for me personally, looks untidy. I think you should show it all as a single statement/ paragraph. I know there is no real answer to this but i suffered the same when doing my accompanying text. I just found the "justified" look tidier.
Search Page:
Entered in Athletics as a search criteria- and ended up with a single shot of a singer to choose from. Not quite sure what happened there!
All My Photos:
Some lovely pictures - but not enough of them. You don't do yourself justice Bill. Go and look at Dave's site (Skellum) and you'll see what i mean about more pictures. Sell yourself Bill - because you're worth it! Also, when i click on a thumbnail to have a proper look, all i get is a 'giant thumbnail". I'm fully appreciative of the efforts needed to stop some swine filching it for free - but i think you're the wrong side of that compromise line. I've seen larger versions of a couple of those images on this site.
Contact Page:
Address - Sheffield, Yorkshire, UK doesn't work. Either put a postal address in or leave it out. They have an e-mail, mobile and land line, not sure thy need a postal address unless clients can visit you at your home or gallery if you see what i mean. Otherwise the rest works fine.

General
- the back ground wallpaper works fine and does its job is breaking up the page without distracting from the main subject- your photographic abilities and portfolio.

Sorry there has been a bit of 'negative' feedback but i've seen your work on here and you can do better and deserve to do better.
Ooh and ask Dave if he has a spare musical feed he can let you have. I must admit that on occasions i have loaded his site up just to have the music play in the back ground (sorry Dave) after which i have a refreshing look at pictures of the north west again (i still have my plastic scouser membership  :tup:) But my point is - i'm a returning customer or potential customer.

Trickee

just a couple of points from me,

the pictures are too small when viewed.

i would like location information on each picture.

:)

spinner

My initial impression is a ditto on Trickee's. Pics too small for my blurry old eyes to appreciate them. They should be at least the same size as your home page stuff.  :)
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

anglefire

I will echo both Trickee and Spinner. Images are too small.

Also, I have to say that I was expecting music shots from gigs based on the web address if I'm honest.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

picsfor

Whilst looking at your site Bill, i have gone back to the re-development of mine and have to say your request for feedback has been extremely useful in helping me understand what was sooo wrong with my first attempt.

So, i think a big hats off to those who have got sites up and running and looking so great.

happypaddler

Agree with the above, just a quick thing - I assume the little girl, Emma, is a family member. I know we have all had various conversations etc re copyright, consent etc...  "On the street" type photography is different from actively concentrating on photographing an individual. Whilst I know you will be aware of not really needing consent for many photos, ...and I do not want to bring up all the old arguments for and against (they have been done and done some more)... but I guess I was surprised to see an image of Emma in the free downloads section.

Other than that, as said above, bigger photos to view, more photos, the front page wording needs to be more snappy, it does not come across as a professional photographers website in my eyes. The site itself renders properly and the photos that are there are clearly displayed (not camouflaged in a busy background as some photography websites are).

Bigbill

Hewwo from windy Sheffy.

Now then,thanks for all of the above,
Pic sizes,straight choice between hampering the illegal downloaders via size or watermark,,,opinion seems very anti my choice,but i do not wish(at this stage) to go down the watermark route,
however,i will see how things go.
Giant thumbnails,same as above,Watermarking just doesnt appeal to me,maybe there have been bigger sizes of those pics in here,thats because i,m assuming that nobody in here would want to pilfer them
(hope thats not naiveity)
Music links,,nahhhhh,again i know that music is a very personal taste and what pleases one may well annoy another,also there are a lot of legalities involved with this issue,
Not sure why anyone would assume there would be music due to the web addy,many strictly music photography sites have no music on them.
Number of photos to view,yep, i,m fully aware of the lack, wanted to see how it all panned out first.Also,the captions stuff will appear in due course.
As for the search issue,,,,,ive NO IDEA !! puzzling that,,,but then again i,m only a Sheff Wednesday fan !!
So there we are,universal negativity so far,time will tell,
Again thanks to all

Shine On

picsfor

No, disagree- not universal negativity.
I think the conclusion was you have a solid foundation for a site - just needed to tailor or add content to match.
Other issues are very much down to possible suggestions or what people were hoping to see.
As for people off this site filching images... I'd be very much surprised. I tend to see this site as a place frequented by real ladeeeeeees and honourable gentlemen  :tup:

As said Bill, having looked at yours and then going back and looking at what i've been trying to do - i have gained a new appreciation for those who have developed such wonderful sites.
I suspect that if we ask we will find that the current site for each of them is their 5th or 6th development. Mine is currently on v2.4 and i can already see a point where i will need to evolve beyond v4...

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.