• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 20
  • Total: 20
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Making money from your pictures

Started by stevebedder, February 28, 2009, 10:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevebedder

Morning All,

I was thinking the other day if it was poosible to make money by taking pictures as an amateur and wondered what your thoughts were.

I know a few people that have started to make a bit of money by focussing on particular areas such as portaits and local sports and then selling the pictures via their website.

Is it possible to sell pictures that havn't been comissioned or taken for a particular event?

The route I was thinking was framed prints and canvases of local natural beauty etc. I'm not suggesting my photos are anywhere close to doing this but maybe in the future if I get better.

Do you think there is a market for this kind of thing?

Cheers

Steve

skellum

I have recently started to make money from taking pictures of local interest and selling them on local craft markets and now have them on general sale in a gallery in Preston, The Local Tourist Information Office and a stately home called Samlesbury Hall. I print them myself up to A3 then mount & frame them ( I get my frames & mounts from a wholesaler / manufacturer in Manchester )
I dont know which area you live in but I am sure there must be a local gallery that may be interested in your pictures. One downside to galleries is they usually charge around 30% commision so you will need to price accordingly. I found that a Framed print A3 ( 20" x 16" ) can command a greater profit than just a collection of mounted prints for people to look through..........Dave.... :legit:

Just found from your profile that your in Stockport so you could use the same supplier as me ( JD Pictures in Cheetham Hill ) I can PM you the number & address. Also if you look on my website  www.skellum-photo.com  on the second page there is a link to the PAD gallery in Preston from which you should be able to find information on North West Art Associations etc or ring and ask for advise from them on your area.

Alfonso_Frisk

Dave
that link to your web site is not working for me???

EDIT = just noticed you have used a n instead of a m
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

skellum

Sorted now thanks Alf, I'm rushing of to football now............ :legit:

Mick

Anyone sold any pics through one of these free Photobox Pro galleries?  http://www.photoboxgallery.com/  ???
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Alfonso_Frisk

I sold a couple through them last year.
30p each so not retiring yet
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Mick

:D  Alf, that's 60p more than I've ever made m8.  :D
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

stevebedder

Cheers Dave. It was looking at your website the other day that got me thinking about it and if there was an opportunity out there.

If you could PM me the details for the wholesaler that would be great.

I presume you print and frame your prints yourself? I've got an A4 printer at the moment and have been looking around at A3 printers but always get cautious due to the reviews regarding the amount of ink (and the cost involved) they use.

Cheers

Steve

skellum

Both Jim the train and I have Epson R1800 ( A3+ ) printers. I use Phoenix compatable inks which are very good and much cheaper to buy, I used them for all the prints I submitted to the RPS and they past the panels inspection.
I once tried another cheaper alternative but they really were a waste of time and money so I now stick to Phoenix but I may use Epson inks again when I win the lottery............Dave :legit:

stevebedder

Cheers Dave, your input has been great and very much appreciated.

It was quite bizzarre this morning watching The Championship after seeing your shot of Callun Davidson celebrating his goal. I looked to see if I could see you by the touchline but didn't notice you.

Out of interest - did you ever see Matty Mainwaring play for PNE? He came to us (Stockport County) lasty summer on a free from your reserves and he's looking a great talent for the future.

Cheers

Steve

skellum

Can't remember the player you mentioned but I may cover a Stockport County game before the end of the season so I will keep a look out.
There is a video of me being taken out by a Barnsley defender on my site ( 3rd page ) I think, which all who know me found very funny, they laughed first then asked if I was alright ???

Oldboy

Making money from photography

1.   Go to local restaurant or hotel in the evening.
2.   Look for older men with young women.
3.   Take photograph.
4.   Approach couple and ask them to sign model release forms, as you wish to        use the photos on the web or exhibit in a local gallery.
5.   Wait for them to make you a offer for the memory card.

Guaranteed to generated loads of cash!!!!  :2funny:

alan1572

nice one oldboy, were there's a will an' all that ;D
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

northbeach

;D    Very funny.   You could say you're doing a series for the local paper on "May/December Romance". 
"In a hundred years, all new people."  My Gallery

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.