• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 100
  • Total: 100
  • Bingbot
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Mac Question!

Started by anglefire, May 10, 2009, 11:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

Is no one else using a Mac?

If so post your tips, cos I'm new to them and need all the help I can get!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

oRGie

tip # 1 - install windows l :legit:  :beer:

anglefire

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jonathan

Um yeah I think I have a Mac or two.  One of them even has Windows on it.

Tips?  Relax, it's easier than you think.

OK, here's a real one.  Put a link to your printer in the doc.  Next time you want to print a file don't bother opening it....just drag the icon to the printer icon in the doc.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

yep - got a nice shiny iMac as a swap from Windoze!!!

Granted i got it with all the bells and whistles but at this time can see no reason to use Winsnooze again.

To slow, to complicated and tooo flaky.

And before some one argues, i have a Windows powered laptop with almost identical specs to the iMac, and if i switch them on both the same time, i have already got my first pictre open for editing on the iMac after downoading e-mails before the laptop has finished logging in. It's all the bloatware that Microsoft put in to fudge the parts they can't integrate properly.

Some where i have several certificates from Mr Gates telling me how well i have learned all about his marvelous software.

Trouble is those several certificates would add up to no more than 1 or 2 on a Mac.
My wife is also a big fan of it now and wants to replace the Windsnooze laptop with a nice Mac Book.

So - will need to make a few more trains lat to pay for that one  ;)

Andrew

Oldboy

Quote from: Jonathan on August 07, 2009, 07:52:38 PM

OK, here's a real one.  Put a link to your printer in the doc.  Next time you want to print a file don't bother opening it....just drag the icon to the printer icon in the doc.

We didn't do that, all we did was drag the file to the printer icon.  ;D

Jonathan

Quote from: Oldboy on August 25, 2009, 10:48:08 PM

Um, I guess that by "we" you mean PC users and by "printer icon" you mean "random junk that Windoze scatters all over the desktop whether I want it there or not".

I think the plan was for Mac tips - accounting machines have a whole other forum :)  But this could be fun.  Tell you what, I'll think up something on a Mac and you tell me how accountants would do it.  Then you get a go.  Don't forget the cool team have a whole new OS coming this week.  To upgrade all 3 Macs it's going to cost me a wallet busting £39.  That's actually less than the "free" upgrades to Windows 7 that HP are offering......

Open up a folder, select any files you want and hit space.  OS X will show you what's in the file - whether it's a picture, PDF, Word doc, movie, sound file - whatever.  You have options to view full screen or see light table of all files selected.
It's Guest's round

Oldboy

Quote from: Jonathan on August 26, 2009, 08:00:45 AM
Quote from: Oldboy on August 25, 2009, 10:48:08 PM

Um, I guess that by "we" you mean PC users and by "printer icon" you mean "random junk that Windoze scatters all over the desktop whether I want it there or not".

No, it was on a Mac at work.  ;D

picsfor

Actually, have to say i miss understood the tip and done it the other way.

Dragged document onto printer icon and hey presto - it printed.
Oh the wife is gonna luv that one  :)

A few more could see me persuading her to sign up for a photographic holiday!

Jonathan

What you guys leave the printer icons littering the desktop.....?  Um you can even see the desktop? :)  Twin 20" monitors and 11GB of Ram = I can't even remember what the background is I have so many windows open......

BTW you may all want to hold fire on Snow Leopard.  Adobe have not tested and will not test CS3 with it - only CS4.  Not it's pretty likely it will work.  It's also pretty likely there will be a couple of issues.  Adobe's rule means they won't even look into fixing them.

Another cool tip.  Get Quicksilver.  Like now.  Best review I read of it said "any Mac without Quicksilver is broken".
It's Guest's round

happypaddler

Hmm,  my parents got the family pack of snow leopard, so I put it on my two machines before reading this thread. I use CS2 - not tried it yet as have a mountain of work to do before playing properly. I mainly use Aperture and the Canon software with CS2 only minimal, so I should be able to manage if it does not work. I noticed on a BBC page someone saying he's had no issues with CS3... so here's hoping!

For anyone thinking of upgrading - its not a huge change on the outside - but it is behind the scenes - on my iMac I got 8 GB HDD space back and 11 GB on my MacBook Pro (or was that the other way round - I was doing it at some ungodly hour half asleep). Both run faster, there are a few small appearance changes - right click (or equiv) on a doc icon and the menu has been changed in appearance which a couple more options, Quicktime has been overhauled - not played with it yet, but apparently you can do minor editing (trimming type stuff) of movies within it. Mail now works with exchange - though I've tried using the settings I can find to get my work email and have managed to get email's to download, but not send - I'll have to visit an IT person at some point to get it sorted - once sorted I can remove Entourage from my machine (MS Outlook) as its a pile of poo! Right better get back to the grind stone and stop procrastinating!

Jan Hagen

A few more could see me persuading her to sign up for a photographic holiday!
[/quote]

Yeah, that would be a something. Not much enthusiasm encountered from my wife though!
Could always embark on my own little photographic holiday somewhere or even the odd two day fieldtrips!

Cheers - Jan.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.