• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 115
  • Total: 115
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What have you got Planned for 2010

Started by Steve12, December 31, 2009, 11:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve12

Hi all

I have finally finished a gruelling 12 months of working in London, and will now have some time to spend on my photography.

I am thinking about submitting a portfolio to the Royal Photographic Society with the intention of gaining a LRSP in 2010 something I have been contemplating for the past two years, I was wondering if any forum members have gone through this process and could give some advice / pointers.

I know that the distinctions are not qualification and the real reason for going through the process is really to prove to myself that I have a little bit of ability.

I also intend to start a project using only my 50mm lens - 52 week project one image per week that I am proud of, did not fancy the 365 a photo a day for a year the pressure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :legit: and I want to enjoy my photography in 2010.

What if anything are other forum members planning for 2010?

Happy New Year to everyone and as we say up North........ have a good un.

Steve

picsfor

I've signed up for a 365 project on Flickr.
Not the self portrait job, and apparently not a picture taken every day job - just one uploaded everyday.
In fairness though i will try to take a different picture every day.

I'm also hoping to complete my OCA course on Digital Photographic Processing - which is tailored mainly towards work flow and understanding how to see post processing opportunities. It does not go into detail about post processing - just how to check image quality, exposure and make the minor tweaks.

My kit changed drastically this last year and i need to get it all down pat before i invest in any more. My 5D MkII is a powerful tool that i have still only exploited less than half of its capability - but then as some one who uses T,A & M modes most of the time, other features may not offer anything that i want. I just know that the accompanying 21mp FF sensor produces a wonderful picture...

As for the RPS, i've looked at it and have given it a box to tick - but that box doesn't have 2010 beside it. Don't think i'm ready for it yet. Maybe 2011 or 2012!

Beyond that - i will just see where the year takes me.

ABERS

Quote from: Steve12 on December 31, 2009, 11:52:01 AM

I know that the distinctions are not qualification and the real reason for going through the process is really to prove to myself that I have a little bit of ability.

Steve, you're quite right in what you say as far as the RPS distinctions are concerned, both from the point of view of qualifications and engendering some self belief and confidence.

If you haven't already go to http://www.rps.org/licentiateship where all is explained.

It can become an obsession and once you are awarded your LRPS it makes you determined to go on further to the next two levels. It's nothing to do with being able to put the letters after your name, but more the satisfaction of an achievment of a goal.

Dave (Skellum) I'm sure will echo what I say.

Don't delay, start today. (and you Andrew!)

skellum

Steve, I do agree with Abers about the satisfaction of the achievement. I attained my LRPS in April 2008 ( not first time ) but don't let that put you off as you will learn a lot during the process.
At the end of the day you will have gained the technical knowledge and ability to produce photographic prints to a very high standard and become your own worst critic. I regard the Licentiateship as a "Practical Qualification" as the panel of judges have seen a selection of your work and approved it on its merits.
I found the Royal Photographic Society to be very helpfull, ask them as many questions as you want, they are there to help.  I live in Leyland near Preston so if you feel I could help you with your submission please get in touch....If you look on my website in the second gallery under Royal Photographic you will see the panel I submitted.....Regards...Dave...... :legit:

daisiemaetulip

i too intend to gain some letters.. hopefully not c.r.a.p lol..
a visit to turkey is alo in the offing thanks to my eldest daughter having a little house there.. a return visit is loooonnng overdue..

picsfor

Hybridphotog

Quote from: picsfor on December 31, 2009, 07:24:12 PM
Would that be with or without stuffing?  ;D
Hmm... methinks there's some wordplay going on behind the scenes somewhere. So I'll echo DMTs comment about visiting the land of the Turks. DMT and myself are long overdue a holiday. :)

Mick

Quote from: Hybridphotog on December 31, 2009, 09:27:34 PM

Hmm... methinks there's some wordplay going on behind the scenes somewhere.

You're right Dave,, someone's been at the censored word filter again, and changed Turkey for chicken.    :doh: :-[  I've sorted it now.  Sorry.  :legit:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

oRGie

Time for me to come home  :D   Its going to be a shock to the system, things are so laid back here...  House is on the market, but the market is so slow here it may take a while...  Looking forward to a nice pint though  :beer:

edit, just realised this is in the general photography section lol, well I plan on taking pics when I get back, hope that counts :)

Alfonso_Frisk

You coming back to this shoite hole of a country ?
You had enough sun and fresh air ?
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

oRGie

wendoureecat

Apart from to take more photos this year (working two jobs in '09 hasnt given me much free time) and not to put off till tomorrow what I can do today..........am really looking forward to a trip back to the UK for Christmas.

Alfonso_Frisk

Well thanks to Gordy and his gang I will be one of 5000+ who will be out of work within the next few months here in Teesside.
Prospects aint good for re-employment as I approach 50 so I guess in 2010 its belt tightening time and use my extra free hours taking photographs and also some workflow and post editting discipline
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

picsfor

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on January 01, 2010, 10:36:34 AM
Well thanks to Gordy and his gang I will be one of 5000+ who will be out of work within the next few months here in Teesside.
Prospects aint good for re-employment as I approach 50 so I guess in 2010 its belt tightening time and use my extra free hours taking photographs and also some work flow and post editing discipline

Doesn't Tim Wallace eminate from that geographical area?

Jan Hagen

:fworks2:
Hopefully a happy new year indeed!
A new job would be nice, as this 24h hotel/ tourism job is slowly killing me and leaves with hardly any spare time for photography. Not as much as I would love to. I would love to do at least a one week photo vacation, all on my own. Get out more, on longer photographic day trips in the area and shoot/record the vast beauty of the west coast area.
I've invested and upgraded my photo equipment, both camera and computer (when it arrives) and I'm eagerly looking forward to testing and playing. New equipment, doesn't automatically make me a better photographer, so it's still going to be a steep learning course in the time ahead. I would like to learn more photographic-/ post edit skills, so I might move up a level and feel more confident in what I'm doing. Attending a post edit course, in Oslo/ Bergen or on line. Any suggestions for on line courses, except for all web video tutorials?

Cheers and all the best - Jan :fworks3:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.