• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 58
  • Total: 58
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

CHAT - CAMERA IN THE FRAME:Weekly Comp 22/3 to 29/3 2015

Started by Hinfrance, March 22, 2015, 10:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiDiva

Quote from: Reinardina on March 28, 2015, 01:25:30 PM
This is not about whether or not you can take photographs with a phone or a tablet. Entries taken with these appliances are not ruled out, as far as I am aware. And I'm sure, we have had entries taken on a mobile phone.

In this case however, the brief states that the image must have a recognisable camera in the frame. Phones and iPads are not cameras; if they were, Jinky would not have had to ask the question.

But an image could be taken by an iPad or phone, that includes a camera in it.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Hinfrance

Quote from: DigiDiva on March 28, 2015, 04:25:36 PM
But an image could be taken by an iPad or phone, that includes a camera in it.

I refer you to my earlier comment - cars have chairs in them, but they are not recognisably chairs. An iPad has a camera in it, but it is not a camera. Ask someone what an iPad is and 'camera' will not be the first word used to describe it. Ask my mate who works in IT that question and the answer wouldn't even be publishable  :knuppel2:

You can sit in a car, but it is not a chair. You can take a photograph with an iPad, but an iPad is not a camera.

As always, the interpretation of the theme is within the purview of the voters, not the author of it, so enter whatever you want to  ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

spikeyjen

Sadly, its arguments, debates and comments like these that put people off participating.

DigiDiva

I agree Spikey. Which is why I suggested Jinky's iPad entry would be acceptble.

kerbside

TBH I must agree that an iPad or phone IS NOT a camera, however there is nothing to say that you cannot take a picture of a camera with an iPad or phone is there?

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Reinardina

I very much doubt this will put people off participating; it merely shows what photographers think of iPads.
And as Jeff stated, there's nothing preventing anyone taking a shot of a camera with an iPad.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

kerbside

With smartphones that now have a 16mpixle camera I must admit I always have mine with me. You never carry an SLR with you all the time so I find it convenient for that picture that would otherwise escape.

This may not be seen by "photographers" whoever they are, as a kosha way a taking pictures but it is better than letting a shot escape altogether. Once captured there are so many PP programmes to enhance it.

There is a place for a smartphone picture and maybe a section on this forum ( I know it has been suggested before ) would not go amiss.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Oldboy

What counts is the image\picture not how you captured it.  :tup:

DigiDiva

Remember when we did the pinhole camera theme, for those around then? We didn't use a pinhole camera but adapted our DSLR to be one. I actually learned a lot from that lesson.

Reinardina

Images taken by Smart phone (and possibly iPad), have featured in the competitions. I can see nothing wrong with that. As OB says, it's the image that counts.

A separate section for smart phone images? Not sure about that, it would spread the scant attention the site attracts, even further. But someone can always start a 'Smart phone Thread.'

Or even dedicate the occasional weekly, or even a separate monthly competition, to smart phone/iPad images.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

Quite right Re - as OB says it doesn't matter what you use to capture an image, it's the image that counts. I don't think it matters one way or another if their is a separate section in the gallery for smartphone or tablet images. It might, however, draw attention to the results that can be achieved. Jen has an S5 and others have iPhone 5s and 6s, all of which have excellent cameras in them.

I personally do not possess a smartphone, and we are an Apple free zone. But we do have a Galaxy tablet.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

Oh dear - just dropped in at the end of my wedding weekend and wished I`d never asked! As it happens I didn`t even get a p0icture of an Ipad being used a s a camera. I do know though that many people consider their Ipad as a camera hence me being certain there would be some there shooting with one. That said I was having such a wonderful time I quite forgot about  even getting a competition image and will struggled to do so now. I do have images with cameras in them but won`t get a chance to edit until after the comp ends. Sorry for stirring up a hornets nest but sparked a debate anyway  ;)

Hinfrance

Glad you had a good time at the wedding,  troublemaker!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

DigiDiva

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.